Does God Love You Less Than Others?

The Rogue Tomato

It has been argued elsewhere that, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated", is incorrectly translated. What it should say is, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I loved less".

From this, one can "logically" assume that God loves some people less than he loves others. Now, I would also assume that a loving God wouldn't withhold the offer of salvation to people he loves less. Free-willers can feel free to correct me on that if that assumption is wrong. After all, all means all, right?

So, all things being equal when it comes to the loved and the loved less being able to choose to believe of their own free will, how do you know if you're one of those God loves or one of those God loves less?

John was the disciple whom Jesus loved. No other disciple is described as the disciple whom Jesus loved.

Jesus only wept over the death of Lazarus and no one else. He must of loved him more that all the rest who died.

I guess He loved the others less or differently. :)

hope this helps !!!

It has been argued elsewhere that, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated", is incorrectly translated. What it should say is, "Jacob I loved, but Esau I loved less".

From this, one can "logically" assume that God loves some people less than he loves others. Now, I would also assume that a loving God wouldn't withhold the offer of salvation to people he loves less. Free-willers can feel free to correct me on that if that assumption is wrong. After all, all means all, right?

So, all things being equal when it comes to the loved and the loved less being able to choose to believe of their own free will, how do you know if you're one of those God loves or one of those God loves less?

Does one of your children love you more than one of the others?

How can you tell?

This why I mentioned "relationship". Intimacy within relationships foster deeper and a more profound love.

Surely you can tell when you have an intimate relationship with God.

This question you're asking is really a very similar question I asked about "Why did God chose you"......

Well, I don't know many Calvinists, but among those I know, not one of them has ever said God chose them because He saw something good in them. I'm not a Calvinist, but I believe in divine election, and according to scripture, God never tells us how or why he chooses one over another. I'm satisfied not knowing.

But if you had to guess, would you say you're one that God loves, or one that God loves less?

Well, I don't know many Calvinists, but among those I know, not one of them has ever said God chose them because He saw something good in them. I'm not a Calvinist, but I believe in divine election, and according to scripture, God never tells us how or why he chooses one over another. I'm satisfied not knowing.

Why not consider this an important piece of information to have? You are insisting that others are damned because God didn't choose them. This is an extraordinary important piece of information to have. It is essential to the claims you're making relative to the Character you insist God has.

But if you had to guess, would you say you're one that God loves, or one that God loves less?

No guessing involved. God loves/loved me in Christ. God didn't love me anymore than any other human being that has ever lived on this planet in the offering of Jesus Christ for humanity.

However, given that God has loved me to this degree, if I were to reject the Benevolence of God shown toward me, then I would certain be worthy of far worse punishment and damnation of God.

There is a progression that takes place throughout our lives relative to our relationship to God. God has already put forth the effort to win our allegiance and foster "good will" in our choices. God is longsuffering toward us. In this, God is patient with us. However, the more we spurn Him, the more we bring retribution upon ourselves.

Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

When studying the Bible, it is critically important to always study the context of a particular Bible verse or passage. In these instances, the prophet Malachi and the apostle Paul are using the name “Esau” to refer to the Edomites, who were the descendants of Esau. Isaac and Rebekah had two sons, Esau and Jacob. God chose Jacob (whom He later renamed “Israel”) to be the father of His chosen people, the Israelites. God rejected Esau (who was also called “Edom”) and did not choose him to be the father of His chosen people. Esau and his descendants, the Edomites, were in many ways blessed by God (Genesis 33:9; Genesis chapter 36).

So, considering the context, God loving Jacob and hating Esau has nothing to do with the human emotions of love and hate. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and his descendants and rejecting another man and his descendants. God chose Abraham out of all the men in the world. The Bible very well could say, “Abraham I loved, and every other man I hated.” God chose Abraham’s son Isaac instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael. The Bible very well could say, “Isaac I loved, and Ishmael I hated.” Romans chapter 9 makes it abundantly clear that loving Jacob and hating Esau was entirely related to which of them God chose. Hundreds of years after Jacob and Esau had died, the Israelites and Edomites became bitter enemies. The Edomites often aided Israel’s enemies in attacks on Israel. Esau’s descendants brought God’s curse upon themselves. Genesis 27:29 tells Israel, “May nations serve you and peoples bow down to you. Be lord over your brothers, and may the sons of your mother bow down to you. May those who curse you be cursed and those who bless you be blessed.”

When studying the Bible, it is critically important to always study the context of a particular Bible verse or passage. In these instances, the prophet Malachi and the apostle Paul are using the name “Esau” to refer to the Edomites, who were the descendants of Esau. Isaac and Rebekah had two sons, Esau and Jacob. God chose Jacob (whom He later renamed “Israel”) to be the father of His chosen people, the Israelites. God rejected Esau (who was also called “Edom”) and did not choose him to be the father of His chosen people. Esau and his descendants, the Edomites, were in many ways blessed by God (Genesis 33:9; Genesis chapter 36).

So, considering the context, God loving Jacob and hating Esau has nothing to do with the human emotions of love and hate. It has everything to do with God choosing one man and his descendants and rejecting another man and his descendants. God chose Abraham out of all the men in the world. The Bible very well could say, “Abraham I loved, and every other man I hated.” God chose Abraham’s son Isaac instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael. The Bible very well could say, “Isaac I loved, and Ishmael I hated.” Romans chapter 9 makes it abundantly clear that loving Jacob and hating Esau was entirely related to which of them God chose. Hundreds of years after Jacob and Esau had died, the Israelites and Edomites became bitter enemies. The Edomites often aided Israel’s enemies in attacks on Israel. Esau’s descendants brought God’s curse upon themselves. Genesis 27:29 tells Israel, “May nations serve you and peoples bow down to you. Be lord over your brothers, and may the sons of your mother bow down to you. May those who curse you be cursed and those who bless you be blessed.”

This doesn't work. In fact, it is self defeating.

Esau was a child of Abraham. Isaac LOVED Esau. Isaac mourned what happened.

In fact, Esau later EMBRACED his own brother.

Gen 33:4 And Esau ran to meet him, and embraced him, and fell on his neck, and kissed him: and they wept.

You can't make this about God's covenants relative to Esau and Jacob. It is an extraordinarily self defeating. It is even worse of a self defeating argument for those who believe Esau is an appeal to the damned of God.......who also believe that "all Israel will be saved".....

People get so caught up in their biases that they never break apart arguments to know what they are actually made of.

What Does Paul Mean by ‘All Israel Will Be Saved’ in Romans 11:26?​

Some believe that the physical descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be restored to a right relationship with God and receive the fulfillment of the covenants.

Back
Top Bottom