Before the decree of Artaxerxes

TomL

Ezra 4:8–16 (ESV) — 8 Rehum the commander and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king as follows: 9 Rehum the commander, Shimshai the scribe, and the rest of their associates, the judges, the governors, the officials, the Persians, the men of Erech, the Babylonians, the men of Susa, that is, the Elamites, 10 and the rest of the nations whom the great and noble Osnappar deported and settled in the cities of Samaria and in the rest of the province Beyond the River. 11 (This is a copy of the letter that they sent.) “To Artaxerxes the king: Your servants, the men of the province Beyond the River, send greeting. And now 12 be it known to the king that the Jews who came up from you to us have gone to Jerusalem. They are rebuilding that rebellious and wicked city. They are finishing the walls and repairing the foundations. 13 Now be it known to the king that if this city is rebuilt and the walls finished, they will not pay tribute, custom, or toll, and the royal revenue will be impaired. 14 Now because we eat the salt of the palace and it is not fitting for us to witness the king’s dishonor, therefore we send and inform the king, 15 in order that search may be made in the book of the records of your fathers. You will find in the book of the records and learn that this city is a rebellious city, hurtful to kings and provinces, and that sedition was stirred up in it from of old. That was why this city was laid waste. 16 We make known to the king that if this city is rebuilt and its walls finished, you will then have no possession in the province Beyond the River.”

The Jews were rebuilding the city

Rather curious how you take the testimony of the enemies of the Jewish people as fact.

Especially when the Jewish leaders were quite clear that they were building the Temple.

Ezr 4:1-8 WEB 1 Now when the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin heard that the children of the captivity were building a temple to Yahweh, the God of Israel, 2 they came near to Zerubbabel, and to the heads of fathers’ households, and said to them, “Let us build with you, for we seek your God as you do; and we have been sacrificing to him since the days of Esar Haddon king of Assyria, who brought us up here.” 3 But Zerubbabel, Jeshua, and the rest of the heads of fathers’ households of Israel said to them, “You have nothing to do with us in building a house to our God; but we ourselves together will build to Yahweh, the God of Israel, as King Cyrus the king of Persia has commanded us.” 4 Then the people of the land weakened the hands of the people of Judah, and troubled them in building. 5 They hired counselors against them to frustrate their purpose all the days of Cyrus king of Persia, even until the reign of Darius king of Persia. 6 In the reign of Ahasuerus, in the beginning of his reign, they wrote an accusation against the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem. 7 In the days of Artaxerxes, Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of his companions wrote to Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in Syrian and delivered in the Syrian language. 8 Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king as follows.

Come on Tom!

The adversaries of the people were lying to Artaxerxes to stop the Jewish people from completing the temple.

Rather curious how you take the testimony of the enemies of the Jewish people as fact.

Especially when the Jewish leaders were quite clear that they were building the Temple.

Ezr 4:1-8 WEB 1 Now when the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin heard that the children of the captivity were building a temple to Yahweh, the God of Israel, 2 they came near to Zerubbabel, and to the heads of fathers’ households, and said to them, “Let us build with you, for we seek your God as you do; and we have been sacrificing to him since the days of Esar Haddon king of Assyria, who brought us up here.” 3 But Zerubbabel, Jeshua, and the rest of the heads of fathers’ households of Israel said to them, “You have nothing to do with us in building a house to our God; but we ourselves together will build to Yahweh, the God of Israel, as King Cyrus the king of Persia has commanded us.” 4 Then the people of the land weakened the hands of the people of Judah, and troubled them in building. 5 They hired counselors against them to frustrate their purpose all the days of Cyrus king of Persia, even until the reign of Darius king of Persia. 6 In the reign of Ahasuerus, in the beginning of his reign, they wrote an accusation against the inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem. 7 In the days of Artaxerxes, Bishlam, Mithredath, Tabeel, and the rest of his companions wrote to Artaxerxes king of Persia; and the writing of the letter was written in Syrian and delivered in the Syrian language. 8 Rehum the chancellor and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king as follows.

Come on Tom!

The adversaries of the people were lying to Artaxerxes to stop the Jewish people from completing the temple.
it's amazing how you refuse to accept any evidence.

You would not accept the word of God

Isaiah 44:24–45:13 (ESV) — 24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself, 25 who frustrates the signs of liars and makes fools of diviners, who turns wise men back and makes their knowledge foolish, 26 who confirms the word of his servant and fulfills the counsel of his messengers, who says of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be inhabited,’ and of the cities of Judah, ‘They shall be built, and I will raise up their ruins’; 27 who says to the deep, ‘Be dry; I will dry up your rivers’; 28 who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfill all my purpose’; saying of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be built,’ and of the temple, ‘Your foundation shall be laid.’ ” 1 Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to loose the belts of kings, to open doors before him that gates may not be closed: 2 “I will go before you and level the exalted places, I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through the bars of iron, 3 I will give you the treasures of darkness and the hoards in secret places, that you may know that it is I, the LORD, the God of Israel, who call you by your name. 4 For the sake of my servant Jacob, and Israel my chosen, I call you by your name, I name you, though you do not know me. 5 I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, 6 that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other. 7 I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the LORD, who does all these things. 8 “Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation and righteousness may bear fruit; let the earth cause them both to sprout; I the LORD have created it. 9 “Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? 10 Woe to him who says to a father, ‘What are you begetting?’ or to a woman, ‘With what are you in labor?’ ” 11 Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: “Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands? 12 I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host. 13 I have stirred him up in righteousness, and I will make all his ways level; he shall build my city and set my exiles free, not for price or reward,” says the LORD of hosts.
You will not accept the word of Josephus

Josephus’ Account of Cyrus’ Decree Josephus’ Antiquities of the Jews constitutes a historical witness confirming that Cyrus II of Persia issued the
decree to rebuild Jerusalem and the temple (Isa 44: 24 to 45: 13). In Antiquities 11.1.3, the Jewish historian records that Cyrus “sent an epistle to the governors that were in Syria” which began with the following words: KING CYRUS TO SISINNES AND SATHRABUZANES, SENDETH GREETING. I have given leave to as many of the Jews that dwell in my country as please to return to their own country, and to rebuild their city, and to build the temple of God at Jerusalem, on the same place where it was before. I have also sent my treasurer, Mithridates, and Zorobabel, the governor of the Jews, that they may lay the foundations of the temple, and may build it sixty cubits high, and of the same latitude, making three edifices of polished stones, and one of the wood of the country, and the same order extends to the altar whereon they offer sacrifices to God70 [emphasis mine]. “Thus, Josephus maintains that Cyrus’s decree included reference to the city, not merely the temple.” 71 The royal letter goes on to list the generous provisions with which the Persian monarch equipped those Jews returning to Judea for the rebuilding of Jerusalem and its temple. 72 The letter ends with an admonition against disobeying Cyrus’ command: “But my will is, that those who disobey these injunctions, and make them void, shall be hung upon a cross, and their substance brought into the king’s treasury.” 73

Fletcher, George; Maxcey, Zachary. The Millennium and Daniel 9: Debunking Dispensationalism

now you will not accept what we read here

Ezra 4:8–16 (ESV) — 8 Rehum the commander and Shimshai the scribe wrote a letter against Jerusalem to Artaxerxes the king as follows: 9 Rehum the commander, Shimshai the scribe, and the rest of their associates, the judges, the governors, the officials, the Persians, the men of Erech, the Babylonians, the men of Susa, that is, the Elamites, 10 and the rest of the nations whom the great and noble Osnappar deported and settled in the cities of Samaria and in the rest of the province Beyond the River. 11 (This is a copy of the letter that they sent.) “To Artaxerxes the king: Your servants, the men of the province Beyond the River, send greeting. And now 12 be it known to the king that the Jews who came up from you to us have gone to Jerusalem. They are rebuilding that rebellious and wicked city. They are finishing the walls and repairing the foundations. 13 Now be it known to the king that if this city is rebuilt and the walls finished, they will not pay tribute, custom, or toll, and the royal revenue will be impaired. 14 Now because we eat the salt of the palace and it is not fitting for us to witness the king’s dishonor, therefore we send and inform the king, 15 in order that search may be made in the book of the records of your fathers. You will find in the book of the records and learn that this city is a rebellious city, hurtful to kings and provinces, and that sedition was stirred up in it from of old. That was why this city was laid waste. 16 We make known to the king that if this city is rebuilt and its walls finished, you will then have no possession in the province Beyond the River.”

To top it off Artaxerxes never authorized the rebuilding of the city just the walls they Jews were already stated to be rebuilding.

Oh, I'm accepting the evidence.
Your post noted that the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin tried manipulating Artaxerxes by sending a letter based on deception.

Isaiah 44:24–45:13 (ESV) — 24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: “I am the LORD, who made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who spread out the earth by myself, 25 who frustrates the signs of liars and makes fools of diviners, who turns wise men back and makes their knowledge foolish, 26 who confirms the word of his servant and fulfills the counsel of his messengers, who says of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be inhabited,’ and of the cities of Judah, ‘They shall be built, and I will raise up their ruins’; 27 who says to the deep, ‘Be dry; I will dry up your rivers’; 28 who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd, and he shall fulfill all my purpose’; saying of Jerusalem, ‘She shall be built,’ and of the temple, ‘Your foundation shall be laid.’ ” 1 Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to loose the belts of kings, to open doors before him that gates may not be closed: 2 “I will go before you and level the exalted places, I will break in pieces the doors of bronze and cut through the bars of iron, 3 I will give you the treasures of darkness and the hoards in secret places, that you may know that it is I, the LORD, the God of Israel, who call you by your name. 4 For the sake of my servant Jacob, and Israel my chosen, I call you by your name, I name you, though you do not know me. 5 I am the LORD, and there is no other, besides me there is no God; I equip you, though you do not know me, 6 that people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other. 7 I form light and create darkness; I make well-being and create calamity; I am the LORD, who does all these things. 8 “Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation and righteousness may bear fruit; let the earth cause them both to sprout; I the LORD have created it. 9 “Woe to him who strives with him who formed him, a pot among earthen pots! Does the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’ or ‘Your work has no handles’? 10 Woe to him who says to a father, ‘What are you begetting?’ or to a woman, ‘With what are you in labor?’ ” 11 Thus says the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, and the one who formed him: “Ask me of things to come; will you command me concerning my children and the work of my hands? 12 I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host. 13 I have stirred him up in righteousness, and I will make all his ways level; he shall build my city and set my exiles free, not for price or reward,” says the LORD of hosts.

Josephus’ Account of Cyrus’ Decree Josephus’ Antiquities of the Jews constitutes a historical witness confirming that Cyrus II of Persia issued the
decree to rebuild Jerusalem and the temple (Isa 44: 24 to 45: 13). In Antiquities 11.1.3, the Jewish historian records that Cyrus “sent an epistle to the governors that were in Syria” which began with the following words: KING CYRUS TO SISINNES AND SATHRABUZANES, SENDETH GREETING. I have given leave to as many of the Jews that dwell in my country as please to return to their own country, and to rebuild their city, and to build the temple of God at Jerusalem, on the same place where it was before. I have also sent my treasurer, Mithridates, and Zorobabel, the governor of the Jews, that they may lay the foundations of the temple, and may build it sixty cubits high, and of the same latitude, making three edifices of polished stones, and one of the wood of the country, and the same order extends to the altar whereon they offer sacrifices to God70 [emphasis mine]. “Thus, Josephus maintains that Cyrus’s decree included reference to the city, not merely the temple.” 71 The royal letter goes on to list the generous provisions with which the Persian monarch equipped those Jews returning to Judea for the rebuilding of Jerusalem and its temple. 72 The letter ends with an admonition against disobeying Cyrus’ command: “But my will is, that those who disobey these injunctions, and make them void, shall be hung upon a cross, and their substance brought into the king’s treasury.” 73

Fletcher, George; Maxcey, Zachary. The Millennium and Daniel 9: Debunking Dispensationalism

To top it off Artaxerxes never authorized the rebuilding of the city just the walls they Jews were already stated to be rebuilding.
Nehemiah 2 says otherwise.

But, hey, you are clearly the only one who knows anything, so you have everything you need to wipe the dust off your feet and wash your hands and walk away.

You've successfully demonstrated that you are not trustworthy enough to be believed.

I'll stick with dispensationalism.

Have a great day.

Oh, I'm accepting the evidence.
Your post noted that the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin tried manipulating Artaxerxes by sending a letter based on deception.

Nehemiah 2 says otherwise.

But, hey, you are clearly the only one who knows anything, so you have everything you need to wipe the dust off your feet and wash your hands and walk away.

You've successfully demonstrated that you are not trustworthy enough to be believed.

I'll stick with dispensationalism.

Have a great day.
Sorry even Haggai show they were building houses

Haggai 1:1–11 (ESV) — 1 In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest: 2 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say the time has not yet come to rebuild the house of the Lord.” 3 Then the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet, 4Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. 6 You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes. 7 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. 8 Go up to the hills and bring wood and build the house, that I may take pleasure in it and that I may be glorified, says the Lord. 9 You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? declares the Lord of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house. 10 Therefore the heavens above you have withheld the dew, and the earth has withheld its produce. 11 And I have called for a drought on the land and the hills, on the grain, the new wine, the oil, on what the ground brings forth, on man and beast, and on all their labors.”

again all you offer is denial

of the word of God Isa 44:24-45:13

Of the history of Josephus

Of the report at Ezra 4

And now Haggai

Sorry even Haggai show they were building houses

Haggai 1:1–11 (ESV) — 1 In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest: 2 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say the time has not yet come to rebuild the house of the Lord.” 3 Then the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet, 4Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your paneled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. 6 You have sown much, and harvested little. You eat, but you never have enough; you drink, but you never have your fill. You clothe yourselves, but no one is warm. And he who earns wages does so to put them into a bag with holes. 7 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways. 8 Go up to the hills and bring wood and build the house, that I may take pleasure in it and that I may be glorified, says the Lord. 9 You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? declares the Lord of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house. 10 Therefore the heavens above you have withheld the dew, and the earth has withheld its produce. 11 And I have called for a drought on the land and the hills, on the grain, the new wine, the oil, on what the ground brings forth, on man and beast, and on all their labors.”

again all you offer is denial

of the word of God Isa 44:24-45:13

Of the history of Josephus

Of the report at Ezra 4

And now Haggai
PS The work of Nehemiah was relatively small completed in 52 days

Nehemiah 6:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 So the wall was finished in the twenty and fifth day of the month Elul, in fifty and two days.

For the life of me I cannot understand how people reject it was God's chosen Gentile, Cyrus who issued the decree to rebuild Jerusalem. God called Him out by name before his birth to be the one who leads the rebuilding of Jerusalem. So either God lies or man lies. "let God be true, but every man a liar"

God Bless

For the life of me I cannot understand how people reject it was God's chosen Gentile, Cyrus who issued the decree to rebuild Jerusalem. God called Him out by name before his birth to be the one who leads the rebuilding of Jerusalem. So either God lies or man lies. "let God be true, but every man a liar"

God Bless
You got me. I don't understand it either, unless dedication to a system of theology is greater than dedication to the word of God

There are various considerations when pointing to Cyrus. These are in support of the prophecies.
The first is that there are two Cyrus figures known in common history: Cyrus the Great shown around 530BC and Cyrus the Younger around the time 400BC. Some of the dates can be wrong within the historical record. One analysis of Darius the Mede shows that he exists within some historian records while the more common history does not think Darius existed. This is to say that there could also be kings that used Cyrus as a familiar name among the people (or even use it for propaganda purposes as their name).
So the rare Jews who might have paid attention to the timeline may have a king they called Cyrus and did the count of weeks based on that while also being faithful to scriptures. There does not have to be some farmer who etched the specific identity of the king into a stone. Various prophecies can be fulfilled but only recognized in their fulfillment by people at that point in time.
Overall, the prominent names of Cyrus in the historical record give credence to Daniels' 70 weeks being fulfilled in the past. And to the dismay of atheists, the Biblical record tends to prove itself true for historical details -- notably of people thought not to exist but later were shown to exist.

There are various considerations when pointing to Cyrus. These are in support of the prophecies.
The first is that there are two Cyrus figures known in common history: Cyrus the Great shown around 530BC and Cyrus the Younger around the time 400BC. Some of the dates can be wrong within the historical record. One analysis of Darius the Mede shows that he exists within some historian records while the more common history does not think Darius existed. This is to say that there could also be kings that used Cyrus as a familiar name among the people (or even use it for propaganda purposes as their name).
So the rare Jews who might have paid attention to the timeline may have a king they called Cyrus and did the count of weeks based on that while also being faithful to scriptures. There does not have to be some farmer who etched the specific identity of the king into a stone. Various prophecies can be fulfilled but only recognized in their fulfillment by people at that point in time.
Overall, the prominent names of Cyrus in the historical record give credence to Daniels' 70 weeks being fulfilled in the past. And to the dismay of atheists, the Biblical record tends to prove itself true for historical details -- notably of people thought not to exist but later were shown to exist.
For what it is worth

Biblical Relevance
The Persian Empire lasted 550–330 BC and was ruled by the Achaemenid dynastic house. Most of the early monarchs of Persia played important roles in the exilic period. Cyrus II “the Great” (reigned 559–530) received high praise from the authors of Chronicles, Ezra, and Isaiah for his policies that ended the Babylonian captivity and allowed the exiled Jews to return and rebuild the temple (2 Chr 36:22–23; Ezra 1:1–11; Isa 44:28–45:7). He is also mentioned by Daniel as “Cyrus the king,” “Cyrus the Persian,” and “Cyrus king of Persia” (Dan 1:21; 6:28; 10:1). According to some scholars, Daniel also called Cyrus “Darius the Mede,” but this identification is controversial (see Miller, Daniel, 171–77).
The successors of Cyrus were Cambyses II (reigned 530–522), a son of Cyrus, and Bardiya (reigned 522), who was either another of Cyrus’ sons or an impersonator also known as Guamata. They were followed by Darius (reigned 522–486), who seized the throne from Bardiya in what he described as a countercoup in the Behistun Inscription. Darius was well known to Ezra and Nehemiah (Ezra 4:5, 24; 5:5–7; 6:1, 12–15; Neh 12:22), and the prophets Haggai and Zechariah were active during his reign (Hag 1:1, 15; 2:10; Zech 1:1, 7; 7:1). Darius was succeeded by Xerxes I (reigned 486–465). He is usually identified as the Ahasuerus of Esther, though the Septuagint and other ancient texts have prompted some to argue that this was Artaxerxes. Artaxerxes I (465–424) was often referenced by Ezra and Nehemiah, whose careers occurred during his reign (Ezra 4:7–11; 6:14; 7:1–21; 8:1; Neh 2:1; 5:14; 13:6).
From the perspective of the Old Testament, which closes at the end of the fifth century BC, Artaxerxes I was the last significant Persian monarch. The last century of Achaemenid kings included Xerxes II (reigned 423), Darius II (reigned 423–405), Artaxerxes II (reigned 405–359), Artaxerxes III (reigned 359–338), Artaxerxes IV (reigned 338–336), and Darius III (reigned 336–330). The dynasty was ended by Alexander of Macedon’s conquest of Persia.

Steele Brand, “Achaemenids,” ed. John D. Barry et al., The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

For what it is worth

Biblical Relevance
The Persian Empire lasted 550–330 BC and was ruled by the Achaemenid dynastic house. Most of the early monarchs of Persia played important roles in the exilic period. Cyrus II “the Great” (reigned 559–530) received high praise from the authors of Chronicles, Ezra, and Isaiah for his policies that ended the Babylonian captivity and allowed the exiled Jews to return and rebuild the temple (2 Chr 36:22–23; Ezra 1:1–11; Isa 44:28–45:7). He is also mentioned by Daniel as “Cyrus the king,” “Cyrus the Persian,” and “Cyrus king of Persia” (Dan 1:21; 6:28; 10:1). According to some scholars, Daniel also called Cyrus “Darius the Mede,” but this identification is controversial (see Miller, Daniel, 171–77).
The successors of Cyrus were Cambyses II (reigned 530–522), a son of Cyrus, and Bardiya (reigned 522), who was either another of Cyrus’ sons or an impersonator also known as Guamata. They were followed by Darius (reigned 522–486), who seized the throne from Bardiya in what he described as a countercoup in the Behistun Inscription. Darius was well known to Ezra and Nehemiah (Ezra 4:5, 24; 5:5–7; 6:1, 12–15; Neh 12:22), and the prophets Haggai and Zechariah were active during his reign (Hag 1:1, 15; 2:10; Zech 1:1, 7; 7:1). Darius was succeeded by Xerxes I (reigned 486–465). He is usually identified as the Ahasuerus of Esther, though the Septuagint and other ancient texts have prompted some to argue that this was Artaxerxes. Artaxerxes I (465–424) was often referenced by Ezra and Nehemiah, whose careers occurred during his reign (Ezra 4:7–11; 6:14; 7:1–21; 8:1; Neh 2:1; 5:14; 13:6).
From the perspective of the Old Testament, which closes at the end of the fifth century BC, Artaxerxes I was the last significant Persian monarch. The last century of Achaemenid kings included Xerxes II (reigned 423), Darius II (reigned 423–405), Artaxerxes II (reigned 405–359), Artaxerxes III (reigned 359–338), Artaxerxes IV (reigned 338–336), and Darius III (reigned 336–330). The dynasty was ended by Alexander of Macedon’s conquest of Persia.

Steele Brand, “Achaemenids,” ed. John D. Barry et al., The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).
That description shows the interaction of Mede and Persia that explains why the Mede-Persia designation is used in the explanations of Daniel's 4 kingdoms.
This one scholar identifies Darius the Mede as being Cyaxares II. His reign is roughly from 559 to 536BC

“As for the length of Darius the Mede’s reign over Medo-Persia before the fall of Babylon, ancient sources do not provide a definite date for the death of his father Astyages/Ahasuerus, but it was probably around the year 559 BC. (That is the year Herodotus and Diodorus of Sicily give for Cyrus’ deposition of Astyages.) Thus, Darius the Mede reigned for about twenty years before the fall of Babylon, and for about two years afterward.” (Under comments at: https://truthonlybible.com/2016/01/08/darius-the-mede-a-solution-to-his-identity/ )

I am not trying to build an argument on these details but just providing information in case it be helpful.

That description shows the interaction of Mede and Persia that explains why the Mede-Persia designation is used in the explanations of Daniel's 4 kingdoms.
This one scholar identifies Darius the Mede as being Cyaxares II. His reign is roughly from 559 to 536BC

“As for the length of Darius the Mede’s reign over Medo-Persia before the fall of Babylon, ancient sources do not provide a definite date for the death of his father Astyages/Ahasuerus, but it was probably around the year 559 BC. (That is the year Herodotus and Diodorus of Sicily give for Cyrus’ deposition of Astyages.) Thus, Darius the Mede reigned for about twenty years before the fall of Babylon, and for about two years afterward.” (Under comments at: https://truthonlybible.com/2016/01/08/darius-the-mede-a-solution-to-his-identity/ )

I am not trying to build an argument on these details but just providing information in case it be helpful.
ok

Back
Top Bottom