Was Jesus in Hell for 3 days as some believe ?

civic

There is a great deal of confusion regarding this question. The concept that Jesus went to hell after His death on the cross comes primarily from the Apostles’ Creed, which states, “He descended into hell.” There are also a few Scripture passages that, depending on how they are translated, describe Jesus going to “hell.” In studying this issue, it is important to first understand what the Bible teaches about the realm of the dead.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word used to describe the realm of the dead is sheol. It simply means “the place of the dead” or “the place of departed souls/spirits.” The New Testament Greek equivalent of sheol is hades, which also refers to “the place of the dead.” Other passages in the New Testament indicate that sheol/hades is a temporary place, where souls are kept as they await the final resurrection and judgment. Revelation 20:11–15 gives a clear distinction between hades and the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the permanent and final place of judgment for the lost. Hades, then, is a temporary place. Many people refer to both hades and the lake of fire as “hell,” and this causes confusion. Jesus did not go to a place of torment after His death, but He did go to hades.

Sheol/hades is a realm with two divisions—a place of blessing and a place of judgment (Matthew 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 16:23; Acts 2:27–31). The abodes of the saved and the lost are both generally called “hades” in the Bible. The abode of the saved is also called “Abraham’s bosom” (KJV) or “Abraham’s side” (NIV) in Luke 16:22 and “paradise” in Luke 23:43. The abodes of the saved and the lost are separated by a “great chasm” (Luke 16:26). When Jesus died, He went to the blessed side of sheol, or paradise. (Some believe, based on a particular interpretation of Ephesians 4:8–10, that Jesus took believers with Him from sheol to another place of bliss that we now call heaven. More likely, Ephesians 4 refers to the ascension of Christ.) All the unbelieving dead go to the cursed side of hades to await the final judgment. All the believing dead go to the blessed side of hades to await the resurrection. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes, according to Jesus’ own words, He went to the blessed region of sheol.

Some of the confusion has arisen from such passages as Psalm 16:10–11 as translated in the King James Version: “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. . . . Thou wilt show me the path of life.” “Hell” is not a correct translation in this verse. A correct reading would be “the grave” or “sheol.” Jesus said to the thief beside Him, “Today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43); He did not say, “I will see you in hell.” Jesus’ body was in the tomb; His soul/spirit went to be with the blessed in sheol/hades. Unfortunately, in many versions of the Bible, translators are not consistent, or correct, in how they translate the Hebrew and Greek words for “sheol,” “hades,” and “hell.”

Some have the viewpoint that Jesus went to “hell” or the suffering side of sheol/hades in order to further be punished for our sins. This idea is completely unbiblical. It was the death of Jesus on the cross that sufficiently provided for our redemption. It was His shed blood that effected our own cleansing from sin (1 John 1:7–9). As He hung there on the cross, He took the sin burden of the whole human race upon Himself. He became sin for us: “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). This imputation of sin helps us understand Christ’s struggle in the garden of Gethsemane with the cup of sin that He asked to pass from Him (Matthew 26:39).

As Jesus neared death, He said, “It is finished” (John 19:30). His suffering in our place was completed. His soul/spirit went to hades (the place of the dead). Jesus did not go to “hell” or the suffering side of hades; He went to “Abraham’s side” or the blessed side of hades. Jesus’ suffering ended the moment He died. The payment for sin was paid. He then awaited the resurrection of His body and His return to glory in His ascension. Did Jesus go to hell? No. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes. got?

hope this helps !!!

When we look back at the Cross, we see the eternal truths, and those truths help us keep our eyes on what really matters. Nothing can be taken away from us. Jesus went to sheol/hades and back for us because He knew that He was the only way man can experience His resurrection life. The gospel of John relates what Jesus said about this prior to His crucifixion:

Jesus Comforts Martha and Mary / John 11:24-26
…24Martha replied, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in Me will live, even though he dies. 26And everyone who lives and believes in Me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Jesus knew who He was, and in this verse He did not just say that He would rise again; He said that He is the resurrection and the life. As we die, we will live. First Corinthians tells us that if Christ had not been raised from the dead, then everything we believe about Him is useless and we are still condemned in our sins:

If there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then your faith is useless, and you are still under condemnation for your sins (1 Corinthians 15:16-17).

All that Jesus suffered and died for, He did so that you and I would have the hope of the resurrection. He did it so that no matter how difficult things get here, we have the power to die to self and live to new life, and eventually be resurrected with new bodies that will be perfect and eternal.

What a promise we have from Him!

What is puzzling is how so called christians will deny the 3 days/3 nights. Once we understand how Jesus and the Jews around Him understood days, the seeming contradiction vanishes. Jesus death at 3 p.m. on Good Friday counted as one day, His entombment all day Saturday counted as the second day, and His resurrection on Sunday morning counted as the third day. Therefore, Jesus’ prophecy in Mt 12:40 and the facts of His crucifixion, burial, and resurrection are not at odds, but simply reflect the common way of understanding days in the first century. As with many other so-called Bible contradictions, a bit of reflection and some understanding of cultural differences help us see that there is no inconsistency at all. :)

Its as simple as that as Bob Cabirillo use to say. :)

hope this helps !!!

Okay, three days if you squeak it out to the fullest.

But there wasn't three nights in that, no matter how you cut the pie.

Sorry.

Matthew, Mark and Luke — mention that the sky became dark as Jesus hung on the cross. “It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three, because the sun's light failed,” according to Luke 23:44. slice 1

The Son of Man would be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights. (Since the Jews reckoned part of a day as a full day, the “three days and three nights” could permit a Friday crucifixion. slice 2

Matthew, Mark and Luke — mention that the sky became dark as Jesus hung on the cross. “It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three, because the sun's light failed,” according to Luke 23:44. slice 1

The Son of Man would be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights. (Since the Jews reckoned part of a day as a full day, the “three days and three nights” could permit a Friday crucifixion. slice 2
exactly

There is a great deal of confusion regarding this question. The concept that Jesus went to hell after His death on the cross comes primarily from the Apostles’ Creed, which states, “He descended into hell.” There are also a few Scripture passages that, depending on how they are translated, describe Jesus going to “hell.” In studying this issue, it is important to first understand what the Bible teaches about the realm of the dead.

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word used to describe the realm of the dead is sheol. It simply means “the place of the dead” or “the place of departed souls/spirits.” The New Testament Greek equivalent of sheol is hades, which also refers to “the place of the dead.” Other passages in the New Testament indicate that sheol/hades is a temporary place, where souls are kept as they await the final resurrection and judgment. Revelation 20:11–15 gives a clear distinction between hades and the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the permanent and final place of judgment for the lost. Hades, then, is a temporary place. Many people refer to both hades and the lake of fire as “hell,” and this causes confusion. Jesus did not go to a place of torment after His death, but He did go to hades.

Sheol/hades is a realm with two divisions—a place of blessing and a place of judgment (Matthew 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 16:23; Acts 2:27–31). The abodes of the saved and the lost are both generally called “hades” in the Bible. The abode of the saved is also called “Abraham’s bosom” (KJV) or “Abraham’s side” (NIV) in Luke 16:22 and “paradise” in Luke 23:43. The abodes of the saved and the lost are separated by a “great chasm” (Luke 16:26). When Jesus died, He went to the blessed side of sheol, or paradise. (Some believe, based on a particular interpretation of Ephesians 4:8–10, that Jesus took believers with Him from sheol to another place of bliss that we now call heaven. More likely, Ephesians 4 refers to the ascension of Christ.) All the unbelieving dead go to the cursed side of hades to await the final judgment. All the believing dead go to the blessed side of hades to await the resurrection. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes, according to Jesus’ own words, He went to the blessed region of sheol.

Some of the confusion has arisen from such passages as Psalm 16:10–11 as translated in the King James Version: “For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. . . . Thou wilt show me the path of life.” “Hell” is not a correct translation in this verse. A correct reading would be “the grave” or “sheol.” Jesus said to the thief beside Him, “Today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43); He did not say, “I will see you in hell.” Jesus’ body was in the tomb; His soul/spirit went to be with the blessed in sheol/hades. Unfortunately, in many versions of the Bible, translators are not consistent, or correct, in how they translate the Hebrew and Greek words for “sheol,” “hades,” and “hell.”

Some have the viewpoint that Jesus went to “hell” or the suffering side of sheol/hades in order to further be punished for our sins. This idea is completely unbiblical. It was the death of Jesus on the cross that sufficiently provided for our redemption. It was His shed blood that effected our own cleansing from sin (1 John 1:7–9). As He hung there on the cross, He took the sin burden of the whole human race upon Himself. He became sin for us: “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21). This imputation of sin helps us understand Christ’s struggle in the garden of Gethsemane with the cup of sin that He asked to pass from Him (Matthew 26:39).

As Jesus neared death, He said, “It is finished” (John 19:30). His suffering in our place was completed. His soul/spirit went to hades (the place of the dead). Jesus did not go to “hell” or the suffering side of hades; He went to “Abraham’s side” or the blessed side of hades. Jesus’ suffering ended the moment He died. The payment for sin was paid. He then awaited the resurrection of His body and His return to glory in His ascension. Did Jesus go to hell? No. Did Jesus go to sheol/hades? Yes. got?

hope this helps !!!
I think, sharing my opinion, He was visiting destroyed eden... (now sheol, tartarus), all the souls who are there...
all of us who He died for both those alive here and His ones there, all of us waiting for our restoration. Which He made possible...

However, we are held back by a number of sons alive on this earth today
who are not cooperating with Him.. because yes the men do have a job..
otherwise how can we even imagine the sons would rule with Christ???
Many do not care... being content to enjoy this world, and all its fleshly pleasures,
and forgetting all about Him
. When their job is helping Him to return us to our home...
and one hint of this horrible problem is on forums across the web,
where most the topics are unimportant...

The ONLY topic, is to Go Home... to complete what He did on the cross,
which is our rapture to our Original situation before Adam betrayed God.

And then, the sons will restore paradise with Christ,
which is now desolated by the fall...and is sheol.

Last edited:

Maybe that counted as an extra night, eh?

Going home. that sounds good to me. The best thing about that is we'll see Jesus face to face and be with him for eternity. That's our hearts deepest longing.

9 After this I looked and a vast host appeared which no one could count, [gathered out] of every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages. These stood before the throne and before the Lamb; they were attired in white robes, with palm branches in their hands.
10 In loud voice they cried, saying, [Our] salvation is due to our God, Who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb [to Them we owe our deliverance]!

11 And all the angels were standing round the throne and round the elders [of the heavenly Sanhedrin] and the four living creatures, and they fell prostrate before the throne and worshiped God.

12 Amen! (So be it!) they cried. Blessing and glory and majesty and splendor and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and might [be ascribed] to our God to the ages and ages (forever and ever, throughout the eternities of the eternities)! Amen! (So be it!)
13 Then, addressing me, one of the elders [of the heavenly Sanhedrin] said, Who are these [people] clothed in the long white robes? And from where have they come?

14 I replied, Sir, you know. And he said to me, These are they who have come out of the great tribulation (persecution), and have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

15 For this reason they are [now] before the [very] throne of God and serve Him day and night in His sanctuary (temple); and He Who is sitting upon the throne will protect and spread His tabernacle over and shelter them with His presence.

16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun smite them, nor any scorching heat.
17 For the Lamb Who is in the midst of the throne will be their Shepherd, and He will guide them to the springs of the waters of life; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.
Revelation 7:9–17

Going home. that sounds good to me. The best thing about that is we'll see Jesus face to face and be with him for eternity. That's our hearts deepest longing.

9 After this I looked and a vast host appeared which no one could count, [gathered out] of every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages. These stood before the throne and before the Lamb; they were attired in white robes, with palm branches in their hands.
10 In loud voice they cried, saying, [Our] salvation is due to our God, Who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb [to Them we owe our deliverance]!

11 And all the angels were standing round the throne and round the elders [of the heavenly Sanhedrin] and the four living creatures, and they fell prostrate before the throne and worshiped God.

12 Amen! (So be it!) they cried. Blessing and glory and majesty and splendor and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and might [be ascribed] to our God to the ages and ages (forever and ever, throughout the eternities of the eternities)! Amen! (So be it!)
13 Then, addressing me, one of the elders [of the heavenly Sanhedrin] said, Who are these [people] clothed in the long white robes? And from where have they come?

14 I replied, Sir, you know. And he said to me, These are they who have come out of the great tribulation (persecution), and have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

15 For this reason they are [now] before the [very] throne of God and serve Him day and night in His sanctuary (temple); and He Who is sitting upon the throne will protect and spread His tabernacle over and shelter them with His presence.

16 They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun smite them, nor any scorching heat.
17 For the Lamb Who is in the midst of the throne will be their Shepherd, and He will guide them to the springs of the waters of life; and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.
Revelation 7:9–17
Melting sweet is your post.

So pretty will be that day when He gets us out of here and we are with Him again forever...
for that is our deepest longing....

The sons will make His Paradise pretty again and rule with Christ...
and no more will the enemy hurt us again.

Maybe that counted as an extra night, eh?
I just threw that in there for good measure as I don't really believe there has to be an extra night since they're all three accounted for because of:
(Since the Jews reckoned part of a day as a full day, the “three days and three nights” could permit a Friday crucifixion.

I thought I might as well go for two slices of pie.

@Clifford, per your rev quote, line 16,

the sun here is not the real sun anyway,
and yes this one is all about smiting us...!!

book of enoch discusses how Eden is a cube (as does Rev - for there are taken its cubic measurements),
and that it is a binary system, not a solar revolving one....and neither does Paradise, or ever did it, have
seasons and harsh weather.. Josephus also, discusses the climate of paradise, as not at all like this one.

@Clifford, per your rev quote, line 16,

the sun here is not the real sun anyway,
and yes this one is all about smiting us...!!

book of enoch discusses how Eden is a cube, as does Rev - for there are taken its cubic measurements,
and that it is a binary system, not a solar revolving one....and neither does Paradise, or ever did it, have
seasons and harsh weather.. and josephus also, discusses the climate of paradise, as not at all like this one.
I never thought of that. that's quite interesting. I have been taught that there will be no more sun and that Jesus will provide all the light we need. I noticed there's a category about heaven on the homepage. We should get a thread going and discuss the new Eden from a Biblical perspective.

I never thought of that. that's quite interesting. I have been taught that there will be no more sun and that Jesus will provide all the light we need. I noticed there's a category about heaven on the homepage. We should get a thread going and discuss the new Eden from a Biblical perspective.
That war the medievals had over the geocentric versus solar model
was a complete psyop, a fake staged war to hide the truth. Of course "science" won...
after Augustine there was no way anyone could even hint that this earth was not paradise,
never was.

In Enoch, who God took to heaven, the Hebrew Cube as paradise is surrounded by the sun and moon,
.... not His paradise circling a sun! And the sun and moon as God showed Enoch, pass through windows.

In paradise every heavenly body such as sun and moon, light His Creation... with His Lights, which are Day and Night, at the same time....
Only satanic things circle, revolve, etc., in the way of this current earth... a situation resulting from the fall...
when because of Adam everything was made Backwards.

So true, there will be no more sun. The current space and astrology systems will go away...
for these constellations were only After the fall.... and are not his lights...

It was foreshadowed at the cross when the sun went Dark..
And soon, it will go permanently go dark at Noon... any day now...

I want to hear your opinions...
thank you for letting me share some of what I understand.

Last edited:
@Clifford, the current sun is actually a dome, over the satanic principalities,
which are behind it.... and is this smiting sun....was made to protect them against God as a defense against Him...

we are far far away from home....

Space, this planet, this type of 'time', ---- all of it will be destroyed per Prophets... as it is all
a cosmological corruption because of adam.

Last edited:
And to get back to sheol as a topic, the most precious treasure of Him were His souls in paradise,
until Adam went to the enemy... and desolated Eden paradise. Because those of us His Souls
were part of His Paradise.... His sons and daughters.

and now we were under a different situation because of adam... and that itself
desolated His Creation because we were now in bondage to the enemy
who Adam works for.

He will restore His Creation... all of it... Eden, us, and our Original nature..
which was NEVER a creature.

And it will be as when He declared it Good. For Ever.

Last edited:
eden did not need animal flesh procreation or animal sex...
at all... but now look at the horrible flesh procreation upon this earth.
so now, because of satan, we are in a creature situation.

But not in Paradise.
man stepped right out of God... by His Speaking His Word.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom