The Mystery, Secret of Christ

civic

mustérion: a mystery or secret doctrine

Original Word: μυστήριον, ου, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Definition: a mystery or secret doctrine
Usage: a mystery, secret, of which initiation is necessary; in the NT: the counsels of God, once hidden but now revealed in the Gospel or some fact thereof; the Christian revelation generally; particular truths or details of the Christian revelation.

3466 mystḗrion (the root of the English term, "mystery") – mystery. In the Bible, a "mystery" (3466/mystḗrion) is not something unknowable. Rather, it is what can only be known through revelation, i.e. because God reveals it.

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

Colossians 1:15-23
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. 22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

Now I rejoice in what I am suffering for you, and I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25 I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— 26 the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people. 27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.28 He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ. 29 To this end I strenuously contend with all the energy Christ so powerfully works in me.

Colossians 2:1-5

I want you to know how hard I am contending for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. 2 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. 4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. 5 For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how disciplined you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.

Colossians 2:9-10
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.

Ephesians 3:1-12
For this reason I, Paul, the prisoner of Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles—2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God’s grace that was given to me for you, 3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. 6 This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.7 I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. 8 Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ, 9 and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. 10 His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, 11 according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. 12 In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence..14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

A secret hidden doctrine in the O.T. revealed by His Spirit in the N.T. The great Mystery revealed in the N.T.- Christ

Last edited:
A “mystery” in the New Testament is something that had at one time been hidden but is now revealed to God’s people. Jesus spoke of “the mystery of the kingdom of God” (Mark 4:11, NAS) that He was at that point revealing to His disciples. The apostle Paul used the word mystery 21 times in his Epistles. In each case, the “mystery” involved a wonderful declaration of spiritual truth, revealed by God through divine inspiration. A mystery is that “which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets” (Ephesians 3:5).

The mystery of God’s will is that “which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ” (Ephesians 1:9–10; cf. 1 Corinthians 2:7; Revelation 10:7). The mystery of God is the consummation of God’s plan in bringing His kingdom in Christ to fulfillment. The kingdom had long been prophesied, but the how and the when and the by whom was not clear until the time of Christ. It is in Christ that God has been manifested to all of mankind. As Jesus said, “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father” (John 14:9).

Paul said that he had been commissioned to preach “the word of God in its fullness—the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people” (Colossians 1:25–26). That is, it is through the apostles that we have been given the capstone of Scripture; their writings, all of which point to Christ—represent the final disclosure of God’s Word to mankind.

There is no understanding of God apart from a personal relationship with His Son (Matthew 12:50; John14:23; 2 John 1:6). Christ is the “mystery” revealed to those who believe—as is the mystery of “Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27). The key to having the “full riches of complete understanding” (Colossians 2:2) is to be born again by the power of the Holy Spirit. “The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God” (1 Corinthians 2:10).

Paul tells us that, “beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great.” Then he records what may be an early hymn of the church: “He [Jesus] appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory” (1 Timothy 3:16). In that short paragraph, the Bible reveals the heart of the gospel, the mystery of “true godliness.” The secret of being godly was hidden but is now revealed. It is to those who believe in Christ that the mystery is made known (1 Corinthians 2:7–14; Colossians 1:27). We come to learn that we of our own volition cannot please God; we must depend on Christ (2 Corinthians 3:5). As a man, Jesus lived a perfect life (2 Corinthians 5:21; Hebrews 4:15; Hebrews 7:21), and so He is a perfect example of how to live. As God, Jesus gives us the power to do what is right. It is possible to live a godly life—through the power of Christ (Philippians 4:13).

God has revealed His complete Word to His saints (Colossians 1:26) who have “heard and learned” the gospel (John 6:45; cf. Romans 10:17 and John 3:16–18), and it is they alone who fathom “the glorious riches of this mystery” (Colossians 1:27). In its fullest sense, the “mystery of God” is God’s plan of salvation through Jesus. We would never have been able to comprehend the way to eternal life without the coming of Jesus, His death and resurrection.Got?

hope this helps !!!

Thank for you posting this.

It always pains and irritates me when Dr. Flowers makes fun of grace being "mysterious."

It's right there... in the Bible.

3466 mystḗrion (the root of the English term, "mystery") – mystery. In the Bible, a "mystery" (3466/mystḗrion) is not something unknowable. Rather, it is what can only be known through revelation, i.e. because God reveals it.

1 Timothy 3:16
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.
God was manifested in the flesh. is not God a .... "ONE" Spirit? per John 4:24a. and was not that "ONE" Spirit G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō'), per. Philippians 2:7. well now, the question arise, "How was the ONE Spirit/God that was G2758 κενόω kenoo while in FLESH, and at the same time upheld the universe?". as said, "God reveals all mysteries.....".

so please post book chapter and verse on this mystery. Just 1 or 2 verses will do.

101G.

Hello @civic,

With respect, I believe that your OP & following entry (#2), lovely though the scriptures referenced are and relevant to the subject; taken out of their context, fail to show the presence in Ephesians chapter three of two mysteries, 'The Mystery of Christ' made known to all the Apostles and Prophets of the New Testament, including Paul: which was the subject of the Old Testament Prophets, and therefore searchable; and 'The Mystery' then being made known by Paul: to whom it had been made known exclusively by the risen Christ (Acts 26:16), concerning the Church which is The Body of Christ, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all (Eph. 1:22-23): which is not the subject of the Old Testament Prophets, and therefore not searchable in the Scriptures written prior to it's revelation (Eph. 3:9); but only in those written by Paul during his imprisonment, as, 'The Lord's Prisoner' (Eph. 3:1, 4:1, 2 Tim. 1:8, Phile. 1:1&9), namely Eph. Phil. Col. 1&2 Tim. Titus & Philemon.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Hello @civic,

With respect, I believe that your OP & following entry (#2), lovely though the scriptures referenced are and relevant to the subject; taken out of their context, fail to show the presence in Ephesians chapter three of two mysteries, 'The Mystery of Christ' made known to all the Apostles and Prophets of the New Testament, including Paul: which was the subject of the Old Testament Prophets, and therefore searchable; and 'The Mystery' then being made known by Paul: to whom it had been made known exclusively by the risen Christ (Acts 26:16), concerning the Church which is The Body of Christ, the fulness of Him that filleth all in all (Eph. 1:22-23): which is not the subject of the Old Testament Prophets, and therefore not searchable in the Scriptures written prior to it's revelation (Eph. 3:9); but only in those written by Paul during his imprisonment, as, 'The Lord's Prisoner' (Eph. 3:1, 4:1, 2 Tim. 1:8, Phile. 1:1&9), namely Eph. Phil. Col. 1&2 Tim. Titus & Philemon.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
See Ephesians 3:9- and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.

Thank for you posting this.

It always pains and irritates me when Dr. Flowers makes fun of grace being "mysterious."

It's right there... in the Bible.
Grace is not a mystery. God has always been the God of grace in every book in the old and New Testaments.

In Whom (Christ) ye also are builded together
for an habitation of God through the Spirit
For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles
If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God
which is given me to you-ward
How that by revelation He made known unto me the mystery

(Eph. 2:22-3:3a)

as I wrote afore in few words
Whereby when ye read
ye may understand my knowledge
in the mystery of Christ
which in other ages
was not made known unto the sons of men
as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets
by the Spirit
(Eph. 3:3b-5)​

That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs
and of the same body
and partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel
Whereof I was made a minister
according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me
by the effectual working of His power
Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given
that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery
which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God
who created all things by Jesus Christ
To the intent that now
unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places
might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God
According to the eternal purpose which He purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord
In Whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of Him

(Eph 3:6-12)

Praise God!

Last edited:
A secret hidden doctrine in the O.T. revealed by His Spirit in the N.T. The great Mystery revealed in the N.T.- Christ
Also called progressive revelation or doctrine revealed a bit at a time because we are not yet prepared to hear it:

Berean Literal Bible
Jn 16:12 Yet I have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now.
I know what you mean because this is the way some of our favourite doctrines were not taught but were hidden for centuries:
the Deity of the Messiah,
the teaching that the OT was NOT the end of all scripture, (as per Deuteronomy 4:2)
that God would incarnate as a man,
that the Messiah would be an intermediary for prayer,
why HE chose those HE elected to salvation
nor any hint of Adamic sin before the NT....[without even getting into the words for doctrine that we use that are not in scripture: Trinity, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, incarnation, rapture]

So, scriptural doctrine without having a precise scriptural reference is a time honoured procedure, and depends upon rightly dividing the word of truth aka the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps the future new revelations are the content of
Daniel 12: 9 And he said, Go thy way Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. 10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand.
and in
Revelations 10:8 Then the voice that I had heard from heaven spoke to me again, saying, “Go, take the small scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel standing on the sea and on the land.” 9 And I went to the angel and said, “Give me the small scroll.”

“Take it and eat it,” he said. “It will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be as sweet as honey.” 10 So I took the small scroll from the angel’s hand and ate it; and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned bitter.

which seems to be an extension of Daniel, telling of the fulfillment without the content...by hinting at a new interpretation of an old revelation rather than a new revelation which might contradict Deuteronomy 4:2 and Revelation 22:18.

In John 16:12, Jesus said: I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit, when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth. Hence, Jesus knew some truth that He was unable to disclose to us, and He also knew that this truth would someday be disclosed to the Church. In other words, Jesus knew some truth that He was unable to disclose to us, and He also knew that this truth would someday be disclosed to the Church. In other words, Jesus knew that the Church was going to receive a new revelation in the future.

So now, this being the case, I ask: would not GOD bear witness in Their Word to a revelation that They intended to give in the future? Well, I think They would (because They've done it this way before) and if so, then wouldn't a person like Paul (who had gone to heaven and learned the whole truth, 2 Corinthians 2-4) and John who ate the little bible most likely be under some leading from the Holy Spirit to bear witness in his writings to these hidden heavenly truths so that, when it was time for their public disclosure later on, there would be some scriptural attestation to them?

But Paul and John could not put it in their open writings in such a way as would disclose the secret ahead of time, right? No, the testimony would have to be hidden somehow so that it remained a secret until the right time.

Therefore, Paul and John would hide the testimony in their writings, knowing that until the time of the revelation, their readers would not really understand what they had written, and that would they make up interpretations which would not be entirely true.

It also stands to reason that these false interpretations would endure unopposed by the truth until the general disclosure in the end times, at which time the new proper interpretation would be made known...

Also called progressive revelation or doctrine revealed a bit at a time because we are not yet prepared to hear it:
how true.
Jn 16:12 Yet I have many things to say to you, but you are not able to bear them now.
I know what you mean because this is the way some of our favourite doctrines were not taught but were hidden for centuries:
the Deity of the Messiah,
as said, it's in the bible right at the beginning and before the Exodus from Egypt.

but the most revealing mystery about the Messiah is the fact the OT scriptures revealed that the Messiah is the Holy Spirit, (who came in flesh). supportive scripture. Zechariah 12:10 "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn."

this term Spirit of supplication is another word for intercession. scripture, Romans 8:26 "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

so the Messiah is the Holy Spirit diversified or in the ECHAD of First and Last. and that Last was in Natural flesh as a Man.

101G.

Back
Top Bottom