The Importance of Studying Bible Prophecy

Obadiah

I think that the book of Revelation is the first place in Scripture we should turn to for the study of God’s plan for the ages. John received these prophecies through a series of vivid visions containing symbolic images and numbers that echo those found in the prophetic books of the Old Testament. John records these visions in the chronological order in which he received them, many of them are pictures of the same events from different perspectives. He does not, however, provide a chronological order in which certain historical events are to occur. I think this is part of what makes the Book of Revelation somewhat difficult to study.

Twice in the book of Revelation we are told that the door to heaven will be opened. It is first opened to receive the church into heaven at the time of the Rapture: “After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, ‘Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this’” Rev.4:1. The door swings open a second time for Christ and His church to proceed from heaven on their militant march back to earth Rev.19:11. The first opening is for the Rapture of the saints; the second is for the return of Christ!

When Jesus arrives on earth the second time, His landing will dramatically herald the purpose of His coming. The moment His feet touch the Mount of Olives, the mountain will split apart, creating a broad passageway from Jerusalem to Jericho. As you can imagine, this will be an unprecedented geological cataclysm.

Let’s look briefly at the Bible’s description of the glory and majesty Christ will display at His second coming. Very few Christians have a biblical understanding of what will take place when Christ establishes His Kingdom, and ushers in the Millennium.

It is certain that Christ will return to establish a literal Messianic Kingdom. The Old Testament promises a kingdom This same promise was reiterated in the New Testament and by Christ Himself. There is never even the slightest indication in the Scriptures that this kingdom will be anything other than a literal kingdom. Christ will return prior to the Millennium to establish His reign.

The Messianic Kingdom is eternal. Dispensationalists have historically labeled the first 1,000 years as the Millennial Kingdom. However, the Eternal State is simply a continuation of the Kingdom of Christ. The Eternal State will be located in the new heavens and new earth, but it will be a part of the same Kingdom ushered in by Christ at the Second Coming. Therefore, it is more accurate to refer to the Messianic Kingdom with its two distinct phases: the millennial phase and the eternal phase.

So after the Second Coming of Christ, the Millennium begins. The end of the Millennium is not the end of the Kingdom. After the final judgment, the Kingdom of Christ will continue on in the Eternal State.

I think that the book of Revelation is the first place in Scripture we should turn to for the study of God’s plan for the ages. John received these prophecies through a series of vivid visions containing symbolic images and numbers that echo those found in the prophetic books of the Old Testament. John records these visions in the chronological order in which he received them, many of them are pictures of the same events from different perspectives. He does not, however, provide a chronological order in which certain historical events are to occur. I think this is part of what makes the Book of Revelation somewhat difficult to study.

Twice in the book of Revelation we are told that the door to heaven will be opened. It is first opened to receive the church into heaven at the time of the Rapture: “After these things I looked, and behold, a door standing open in heaven. And the first voice which I heard was like a trumpet speaking with me, saying, ‘Come up here, and I will show you things which must take place after this’” Rev.4:1. The door swings open a second time for Christ and His church to proceed from heaven on their militant march back to earth Rev.19:11. The first opening is for the Rapture of the saints; the second is for the return of Christ!

When Jesus arrives on earth the second time, His landing will dramatically herald the purpose of His coming. The moment His feet touch the Mount of Olives, the mountain will split apart, creating a broad passageway from Jerusalem to Jericho. As you can imagine, this will be an unprecedented geological cataclysm.

Let’s look briefly at the Bible’s description of the glory and majesty Christ will display at His second coming. Very few Christians have a biblical understanding of what will take place when Christ establishes His Kingdom, and ushers in the Millennium.

It is certain that Christ will return to establish a literal Messianic Kingdom. The Old Testament promises a kingdom This same promise was reiterated in the New Testament and by Christ Himself. There is never even the slightest indication in the Scriptures that this kingdom will be anything other than a literal kingdom. Christ will return prior to the Millennium to establish His reign.

The Messianic Kingdom is eternal. Dispensationalists have historically labeled the first 1,000 years as the Millennial Kingdom. However, the Eternal State is simply a continuation of the Kingdom of Christ. The Eternal State will be located in the new heavens and new earth, but it will be a part of the same Kingdom ushered in by Christ at the Second Coming. Therefore, it is more accurate to refer to the Messianic Kingdom with its two distinct phases: the millennial phase and the eternal phase.

So after the Second Coming of Christ, the Millennium begins. The end of the Millennium is not the end of the Kingdom. After the final judgment, the Kingdom of Christ will continue on in the Eternal State.
I would say it is the last place being highly figurative. Proper exegesis demands our understanding of the complex be governed by the plain didactic portions of the bible

For example

1 Corinthians 15:22–28 (KJV 1900) — 22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Shows Christ's reign ends at his coming

and that the New heaven and earth are ushered in at that time

2 Peter 3:3–13 (KJV 1900) — 3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, 4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. 5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: 6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: 7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. 8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

I am working on a project right now where I have listed eschatological and historical themes in roughly a chronological order. Then I am listing the verses under those themes. This roughly starts with Gen 3:15 and Deut 32 up through Revelation 21.
Then the sequence of verses of certain passages should help establish the chronological sequence of themes. This all should aid toward knowing what are past events and what are left to be done.

I am working on a project right now where I have listed eschatological and historical themes in roughly a chronological order. Then I am listing the verses under those themes. This roughly starts with Gen 3:15 and Deut 32 up through Revelation 21.
Then the sequence of verses of certain passages should help establish the chronological sequence of themes. This all should aid toward knowing what are past events and what are left to be done.
Your interpretation of thee vents will greatly effect your time frame reference

Sure. If we know when event D happens with certainty, then ABC shown in one passage and ACD in another passage shows that B happened before that event D that was completed. That is what is so neat in laying out these passages. So far I just have passages sorted into 60 different terms and events. I have to figure out how to format the data to identify how passages overlap in their sequence of events.
The other task involves the clarification of apocalyptic language into actual discernible situations that people could recognize in a historical series of events. I also am addressing flaws of the interpretation process, like where I showed the translation to "earth" was improperly used where "land" would be proper in Zephaniah.
I have not decided whether I can post the whole project online. It uses obsidian.md for linking of ideas across multiple topics so that the support of ideas can be located quickly. If nothing else, this system has let me address new sub-topics as they have come to mind. I have been spending much of the last three weeks inserting passages and explanations concerning many of the OT writings and prophets and also from the NT.

Last edited:
The three vents are smokestacks coming up from hades. They're not fully operational at the moment but they are "stoking the flames". :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding Tom, You probably meant three events. I make spelling errors all the time.

The three vents are smokestacks coming up from hades. They're not fully operational at the moment but they are "stoking the flames". :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding Tom, You probably meant three events. I make spelling errors all the time.
:ROFLMAO:

a spacing error It should be the events. There was no r after the th

Sure. If we know when event D happens with certainty, then ABC shown in one passage and ACD in another passage shows that B happened before that event D that was completed. That is what is so neat in laying out these passages. So far I just have passages sorted into 60 different terms and events. I have to figure out how to format the data to identify how passages overlap in their sequence of events.
The other task involves the clarification of apocalyptic language into actual discernible situations that people could recognize in a historical series of events. I also am addressing flaws of the interpretation process, like where I showed the translation to "earth" was improperly used where "land" would be proper in Zephaniah.
I have not decided whether I can post the whole project online. It uses obsidian.md for linking of ideas across multiple topics so that the support of ideas can be located quickly. If nothing else, this system has let me address new sub-topics as they have come to mind. I have been spending much of the last three weeks inserting passages and explanations concerning many of the OT writings and prophets and also from the NT.
There are events some consider past and others future

There are events some consider past and others future
Yep. But a correction may be needed if a future event is shown to happen before a past event. Very awkward in our universe. I have an expectation where things are heading. But I have not evaluated these 60 events/topics to see how various passages will establish the sequence of events when fitted together. I think those will have better resolution than your three events. kidding. I think one of the big errors is when, for example, the gospel according to Matthew is not recognized for being written to the Jewish context and mindset. After that aspect is taken into account, the modern reader can consider from various factors how the text may apply directly to gentiles of that era and then to people today.

The other part of what I'm possibly finding is events that are described differently but are the same event. I've not gone into any detail resolving these aspects yet.

Last edited:
Yep. But a correction may be needed if a future event is shown to happen before a past event. Very awkward in our universe. I have an expectation where things are heading. But I have not evaluated these 60 events/topics to see how various passages will establish the sequence of events when fitted together. I think those will have better resolution than your three events. kidding. I think one of the big errors is when, for example, the gospel according to Matthew is not recognized for being written to the Jewish context and mindset. After that aspect is taken into account, the modern reader can consider from various factors how the text may apply directly to gentiles of that era and then to people today.

The other part of what I'm possibly finding is events that are described differently but are the same event. I've not gone into any detail resolving these aspects yet.
I think you will have other problems besides a Jewish context

for example Mat 24 and 25 unfulfilled, partly fulfilled? Where is the dividing line?

Time frame texts in Revelation?

I think you will have other problems besides a Jewish context

for example Mat 24 and 25 unfulfilled, partly fulfilled? Where is the dividing line?

Time frame texts in Revelation?
Right. The goal is to apply the time markers and sequence across broad passages throughout scripture. So far my references to Revelation mainly concern chapters 20-21 but these will increase over time. I will post topics, like Matt 25, when I have opportunity.

Right. The goal is to apply the time markers and sequence across broad passages throughout scripture. So far my references to Revelation mainly concern chapters 20-21 but these will increase over time. I will post topics, like Matt 25, when I have opportunity.
We will have to see what happens when you post your conclusion

Back
Top Bottom