The Emerging Church

Theophilus

A new movement is now arising in and around evangelical circles. Now, it appears, the main object of attack will be the perspicuity of Scripture. Influenced by postmodern notions about language, meaning, subjectivity, and truth, many younger evangelicals are questioning whether the Word of God is clear enough to justify certainty or dogmatism on any point of doctrine.

This movement is very diverse and still developing, but it is generally referred to as "the Emerging Church."

Hopefully this can be opportunity to say in the simplest possible terms what is wrong with the movement, what (if anything) is right with it, and what you think about the goals and the strategies of those who are at the forefront of this movement. And, as always, we want you to shine the light of Scripture on this movement and let’s see how it fares.

A new movement is now arising in and around evangelical circles. Now, it appears, the main object of attack will be the perspicuity of Scripture. Influenced by postmodern notions about language, meaning, subjectivity, and truth, many younger evangelicals are questioning whether the Word of God is clear enough to justify certainty or dogmatism on any point of doctrine.

Daniel 7:25
25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

personally i feel things like this will only increase . i read of some new type belief almost every day . a new type Church pops up . we cant even fill the ones that have been established .

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

7 As they were increased, so they sinned against me: therefore will I change their glory into shame.

this is where we are at today people are rejecting God. what's sad is established Christians are losing . the desire to attend Church

This movement is very diverse and still developing, but it is generally referred to as "the Emerging Church."

Hopefully this can be opportunity to say in the simplest possible terms what is wrong with the movement, what (if anything) is right with it, and what you think about the goals and the strategies of those who are at the forefront of this movement. And, as always, we want you to shine the light of Scripture on this movement and let’s see how it fares.
The movement is varied.

There was this phenomenon that used to happen, people would leave one denomination to attend churches in another denomination due to theological differences.

However, at some point people stopped moving to a new church and stopped attending altogether (most common reason was the church they came from had garbage people in it, who treated them poorly)

People decided to gather in different formats that would not be recognized or even detected.

I tend to refer to the emergent church movement as the second reformation, since its nuances of "what needs changing" is about as varied as the first reformation.

The movement is varied.

There was this phenomenon that used to happen, people would leave one denomination to attend churches in another denomination due to theological differences.

However, at some point people stopped moving to a new church and stopped attending altogether (most common reason was the church they came from had garbage people in it, who treated them poorly)

People decided to gather in different formats that would not be recognized or even detected.

I tend to refer to the emergent church movement as the second reformation, since its nuances of "what needs changing" is about as varied as the first reformation.
so here is my take on this so called emerging Church...the last thing that is needed is another new movement . Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

the method of delivery can change but the message cant. see we have a bunch of feel good churches get excited run the isles shout etcc .while the song is playing. when the music stops they stop. the modern day new age movement is creeping into the Church. our great grandparents went to church in horse and buggy did not have padded seats / did not have central heat and air. did not have padded seats. they had church . the anointing has not changed just the people. this is a far as i care to go due to this is my text for Sunday morning . where the sing when the saints come dragging in. Lord i hope im part of that number. when the saints come dragging in.. lets not forget our theme song hymnal i shall not be moved.

so here is my take on this so called emerging Church...the last thing that is needed is another new movement . Jeremiah 6:16 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein.

the method of delivery can change but the message cant. see we have a bunch of feel good churches get excited run the isles shout etcc .while the song is playing. when the music stops they stop. the modern day new age movement is creeping into the Church. our great grandparents went to church in horse and buggy did not have padded seats / did not have central heat and air. did not have padded seats. they had church . the anointing has not changed just the people. this is a far as i care to go due to this is my text for Sunday morning . where the sing when the saints come dragging in. Lord i hope im part of that number. when the saints come dragging in.. lets not forget our theme song hymnal i shall not be moved.
The emergent church did begin with Azusa street, but it is so much more varied than mere charismania.

The emergent church did begin with Azusa street, but it is so much more varied than mere charismania.
i have witnessed some of this movement imo its lots of warm flesh iam not even sure the tongues used today.is the Bibibcal tongues in acts and what paul taught

i have witnessed some of this movement imo its lots of warm flesh iam not even sure the tongues used today.is the Bibibcal tongues in acts and what paul taught
I used to fellowship with groups meeting that description. My origins are a little different, I started speaking in tongues a year after believing, not knowing what it was. Later on I prayed to translate, (as the scripture instructs) downside is my english makes less sense now. lol.

Isn't a key part of the emergent church... personal messages from the Holy Spirit that are allowed to contradict scripture?

Subjective experience that can be true for someone and not others.

Thats the new age thing.

Isn't a key part of the emergent church... personal messages from the Holy Spirit that are allowed to contradict scripture?

Subjective experience that can be true for someone and not others.

Thats the new age thing.
The other part of the emergent church is people who broke away from those congregations and are very conservative .. but see the rest of the church as it is and want nothing to do with it.

this si what i am talking about

Yup... I've seen this copied and pasted across many many pentecostal and charismatic services. Pretty much the same every time. Verses taken right out of the surrounds they are in and applied to situations that don't relate to the setting in the bible.. or applied in a way that is very different to the setting from the bible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup... I've seen this copied and pasted across many many pentecostal and charismatic services. Pretty much the same every time. Verses taken right out of the surrounds they are in and applied to situations that don't relate to the setting in the bible.. or applied in a way that is very different to the setting from the bible.
the way he was talking making folks laugh not good

the way he was talking making folks laugh not good

Yea..it starts kinda standard then goes wacky.

I remember attending youth camps as a charismatic and it was like that a bit. Then later I tried New Age beliefs. The New Age beliefs and that style of service...not much different.

I gave up New Age beliefs when I found out apologetics information about Jesus. That got my serious about the faith

Yea..it starts kinda standard then goes wacky.

I remember attending youth camps as a charismatic and it was like that a bit. Then later I tried New Age beliefs. The New Age beliefs and that style of service...not much different.

I gave up New Age beliefs when I found out apologetics information about Jesus. That got my serious about the faith
if its of the spirit. it will be done decently and in order..God is not the author of confusion

Back
Top Bottom