Starting a "new theory" of the Atonement

Yes questioning what I was taught from the pulpit caused a great awakening:). That’s how I left PSA too. :)
Looks like I'm in the right spot as I'm a dig deeper kind of guy. Luckily I never bought into PSA. It never made any sense to me. Now I can see where you came up with the title for this Forum.

But the typology is exact. The sins of Israel were transferred onto the Scapegoat, which was then led out and abandoned in the wilderness.

There is much symbolism and typology to be found in the Scripts. For example,

Abraham carried Isaac up one side of Mount Moriah/Gordan's Calvary on the back of a "donkey". That donkey had to be redeemed by a lamb.

Exo 13:13 Every firstling of a donkey you must redeem with a lamb, and if you do not redeem it, then you must break its neck. Every firstborn of your sons you must redeem.

Lev 16:8 And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.

The history of the word we translate as "scapegoat" is complicated. I believe Lev 16:8 is meaningful but I don't have time right now to get into it.

Last edited:
Yes questioning what I was taught from the pulpit caused a great awakening:). That’s how I left PSA too. :)

Questioning what you believe is good when you're looking to God for the answers... :)

He answers. Sometimes the answers takes years to understand. Sometimes the answer is just to be "unsettled/wait". Then one day, once you accept some required information to "move on", the answer comes.

This life is God's beautiful painting and every stroke fits perfectly in his purpose. (Not saying He is the only painting the picture. He isn't)

Jesus disagrees - Mat 27:46.
Nope

Psalm 22:1–24 (NASB 2020) — 1 My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my help are the words of my groaning. 2 My God, I cry out by day, but You do not answer; And by night, but I have no rest. 3 Yet You are holy, You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel. 4 In You our fathers trusted; They trusted and You rescued them. 5 To You they cried out and they fled to safety; In You they trusted and were not disappointed. 6 But I am a worm and not a person, A disgrace of mankind and despised by the people. 7 All who see me deride me; They sneer, they shake their heads, saying, 8 “Turn him over to the LORD; let Him save him; Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him.” 9 Yet You are He who brought me forth from the womb; You made me trust when upon my mother’s breasts. 10 I was cast upon You from birth; You have been my God from my mother’s womb. 11 Do not be far from me, for trouble is near; For there is no one to help. 12 Many bulls have surrounded me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me. 13 They open their mouths wide at me, As a ravening and roaring lion. 14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me. 15 My strength is dried up like a piece of pottery, And my tongue clings to my jaws; And You lay me in the dust of death. 16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet. 17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me; 18 They divide my garments among them, And they cast lots for my clothing. 19 But You, LORD, do not be far away; You who are my help, hurry to my assistance. 20 Save my soul from the sword, My only life from the power of the dog. 21 Save me from the lion’s mouth; From the horns of the wild oxen You answer me. 22 I will proclaim Your name to my brothers; In the midst of the assembly I will praise You. 23 You who fear the LORD, praise Him; All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, And stand in awe of Him, all you descendants of Israel. 24 For He has not despised nor scorned the suffering of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from him; But when he cried to Him for help, He heard.

2 Corinthians 5:19 (NASB 2020) — 19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their wrongdoings against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

Couldn't be in him and forsaken him

Back
Top Bottom