Speak the truth in love—or compromise the truth for love

Diserner

I fear that "niceness" sometimes gets equated with love.

There are forms of standing for the truth, that are just not going to seem fun and friendly.

Who here can read the prophets in the Bible decrying sin and projecting doom and count that as "nice"?

"Stop yelling at me about running the traffic, it's not nice and loving! You're too serious and I came to have fun!"

In our politically friendly and woke climate, speaking out becomes too big a threat to thought control, and everything confrontational is deemed hateful.

"If you say sexual deviancy is a sin, you are practicing hate speech, and not being polite and respectful and gentle and Christlike!"

"Jesus just preached love!"

Where is the balance between niceness and the Biblical warning to tell people the truth?

1-Well I’m not God/ Jesus .
2- I confront those I have relationships with that are well established
3- online forums are not the church with elders , pastors who are overseers of the flock
4- In our men’s discipleship groups and home groups I have been given that authority in our local body to speak the truth in love , to rebuke, correct and teach sound doctrine
5- I have no authority over anyone here. All I can do is present the truth as I see it in scripture and defend it.

hope this helps !!!

There are forms of standing for the truth, that are just not going to seem fun and friendly.

Who here can read the prophets in the Bible decrying sin and projecting doom and count that as "nice"?

"Stop yelling at me about running the traffic, it's not nice and loving! You're too serious and I came to have fun!"

In our politically friendly and woke climate, speaking out becomes too big a threat to thought control, and everything confrontational is deemed hateful.

"If you say sexual deviancy is a sin, you are practicing hate speech, and not being polite and respectful and gentle and Christlike!"

"Jesus just preached love!"

Where is the balance between niceness and the Biblical warning to tell people the truth?
The Self can say nice fake 'loving' marshmallow rainbow things all day.

Love one another refers to loving a genuine soul, of His souls, of us, not the ugly foreign entity (the self) oppressing that soul...or posers.

If you can today find the soul to even try to love under all the many layers of the modern self.

i found that to the extent I avoided the Self and remain kind and caring that many times the other will let down their defenses and venture out of the social training just long enough ... the soul peeking out of her rabbit hole.

It's something to work at. Niceness can be extremely deceptive.

Mat 5:13-16 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. (14) "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. (15) Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. (16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

2Ti 4:2
Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

2Co 2:14-17
Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. (15) For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. (16) To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things? (17) For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ.

Mat 5:13-16 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. (14) "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. (15) Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. (16) Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. (15) For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. (16) To the one we are the aroma of death leading to death, and to the other the aroma of life leading to life. And who is sufficient for these things? (17) For we are not, as so many, peddling the word of God; but as of sincerity, but as from God, we speak in the sight of God in Christ.
Yes and then there is the Matthew 18 principle with 2/3 witnesses with a sinning brother.

Also it should be balanced with these scriptures too :)

1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that is in you. But respond with gentleness and respect,

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Ephesians 4:29
Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up the one in need and bringing grace to those who listen.

True but we can also fear speaking forth things any which way we want could be counted as wisdom.
Agreed. We are given perimeters though in which we're to seek and strive to create an atmosphere whereby it makes it easier for people to accept the truth.

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. 2 Tim 2:24
Agreed. Merely saying one doesn't agree with another you're looked upon as not a good person.
There is a being led by the Spirit. You mentioned about the prophets of old didn't seem nice in proclaiming judgement. In talking to believers though you're not talking to people to whom are in the place where their country is going to be overthrown unless there is a very strong action to repent, or we could say when God's at the very end of his longsuffering. . The key is know who you're talking to and be led by the Spirit. At one point when Jesus disciples wanted to become way too aggressive he told them, " You know not what type of spirit you're of...." Lk 9: 54

True but we can also fear speaking forth things any which way we want could be counted as wisdom.

Agreed. We are given perimeters though in which we're to seek and strive to create an atmosphere whereby it makes it easier for people to accept the truth.

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. 2 Tim 2:24

Agreed. Merely saying one doesn't agree with another you're looked upon as not a good person.

There is a being led by the Spirit. You mentioned about the prophets of old didn't seem nice in proclaiming judgement. In talking to believers though you're not talking to people to whom are in the place where their country is going to be overthrown unless there is a very strong action to repent, or we could say when God's at the very end of his longsuffering. . The key is know who you're talking to and be led by the Spirit. At one point when Jesus disciples wanted to become way too aggressive he told them, " You know not what type of spirit you're of...." Lk 9: 54
Well stated response , biblical wisdom

Also it should be balanced with these scriptures too :)

1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give a defense to everyone who asks you the reason for the hope that is in you. But respond with gentleness and respect,

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.

Ephesians 4:29
Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up the one in need and bringing grace to those who listen.
This reminds me of Pauls words in 1 Corinthians 13- one can have all the knowledge in the world but if it’s not communicated in love it means nothing.

You have a well balanced view of the Christian life and the Bible. Thank you for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom