Self Denial - Bible Study

MatthewG

`
This is just the starting pertaining to the subject at hand. Be sure to check out the surrounding areas of context if you need to, and may Yahava by his spirit guide you, in the name of Yeshua.

Exodus 33:6 So the sons of Israel stripped themselves of their jewelry, from Mount Horeb onward.

1 Kings 17:13 However, Elijah said to her, "Do not fear; go, do as you have said. Just make me a little bread loaf from it first, and bring it out to me, and afterward you may make one for yourself and for your son.

Psalms 132:3 I certainly will not enter my house, nor lie on my bed.

Proverb 25:6 Do not boast in the presence of the king, and do not stand in the same place as great people.

Isaiah 58:13 If because of the sabbath, you restrain your foot from, doing as you wish on My holy ay, and call the sabbath a pleasure, and the holy day of Yahava honorable, and honor it, desisting for your ways, from seeking your own pleasures and speaking your own word.

Daniel 1:8 But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the Kings choice food or with the wine which he drank, so he sought permission from the commander of the officials that might not defile himself.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples "If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me."

Matthew 18:18 And if your hand or foot is causing you to sin, cut it off and throw it away from you; it is better to enter life maimed or without a foot, than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into the eternal fire.

Matthew 19:12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mothers womb; and there eunuchs who were made eunuchs by people; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs, for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. The one who is able to accept this let him accept it.

Mark 8:34 And He summoned the crowd together with his disciples, and said to them, if anyone wants to come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.

Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:16 Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Romans 8:13 For if you are living in accord with the flesh you are going to die; but if by the spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Romans 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or to do anything which your brother stumbles.

Romans 15:1 Now we who are strong ought to bear the weakness of those without strength and not just please ourselves.

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I strictly discipline my body, and make it a slave so after I have preached to others I will not be disqualified.

Galatians 5:24 Not those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

Philippians 3:7 But whatever things were gain to me, these things I have counted as a loss because of Christ.

Titus 2:12 instructing us to deny ungodliness, and worldly desires, and to live sensibly, righteously, and in a godly manner in the present age.

Hebrews 11:24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaohs daughter.

Saying yes to Christ as Lord requires self-denial. We no longer live for ourselves, because we are not our own. We belong to Christ, who tells us...

And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [disown himself, forget, lose sight of himself and his own interests, refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also].
Lk 9:23.

So we get out of selfishness that plague us: self-importance, self-promotion, self-indulgence, self-absorption, self-advocacy, self-centeredness, self-conceit, self-interest, self-pitying, self-promotion, and other ways of self-seeking and self-serving.

In their place we seek unselfishness: self-denial, self-abasement, self-abnegation, self-abandonment, and self-sacrifice.

These type of things that Lily has talked about, involve suffering @civic. Was there anything you wanted to add, or did you desire to answer the question that was asked to you?

Can we obtain a life of self denial and obedience to Christ as one of His disciples?

I believe it is possible to deny oneself and allow God to work in and through you if you are abiding in Christ.

I think suffering in our Christian walk can just be obedience. Abiding in Christ means to live in him and you go by his rules. Also words like suffering I think have a different meaning in our culture than it did when they wrote the Bible and translated the Bible. If you look at this verse:

But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

It sort of means allow something to happen, don't try to stop it. If God calls you to do something it's best just to do it even if it goes against your plan.

I did Street Ministry for 10 years and was right in the thick of it. Feeding the homeless sharing the gospel getting people into rehab. It wasn't what I had planned to do with 10 years of my life but I put everything I had into it. When I run into a homeless person today I know exactly what to say to them. And I have no regrets as I know I was being obedient.

I was thinking about the same thing. Like don't crawl on your hands and knees to Rome whipping yourself on the back.
If the body suffers enough, it releases pain killer like chemicals.

This can become an addiction that is commonly referred to as masochism.

Since it is an addiction, the extreme interpretation must be denied also.

Hello @Frank Russell

That would be a wise thing not to do. I believe a lot of the self-denial reflects our own natural ways of doing things, in which are changed by and through the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. I do not believe that God loved this world, that one can not partake in enjoying life, even some of the pleasures here, however, to not make them the main focus of life while going through it.

I think suffering in our Christian walk can just be obedience. Abiding in Christ means to live in him and you go by his rules. Also words like suffering I think have a different meaning in our culture than it did when they wrote the Bible and translated the Bible. If you look at this verse:

But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

It sort of means allow something to happen, don't try to stop it. If God calls you to do something it's best just to do it even if it goes against your plan.

I did Street Ministry for 10 years and was right in the thick of it. Feeding the homeless sharing the gospel getting people into rehab. It wasn't what I had planned to do with 10 years of my life but I put everything I had into it. When I run into a homeless person today I know exactly what to say to them. And I have no regrets as I know I was being obedient.

Hello Obadiah,

I am reminded of what Paul stated to the Philippians,

Philippians 3:10 that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, becoming conformed unto his death;

I believe the suffering comes at a cost of denying oneself and picking up the cross and following Christ. Some go out for persecution and seek that to be their suffering however that is a wrong practice in my best estimation. Through the years, Yahava has worked in and through me to produce good and I am thankful for that, it did come at a cost of denying myself. Hell my flesh hates reading the bible, but the spirit is willingly.

Does that make sense to you? The question may become, what were the sufferings of Christ that he went through? He denied himself as well, for the Fathers will to be done, though he had his own will.

Hello @Frank Russell

That would be a wise thing not to do. I believe a lot of the self-denial reflects our own natural ways of doing things, in which are changed by and through the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. I do not believe that God loved this world, that one can not partake in enjoying life, even some of the pleasures here, however, to not make them the main focus of life while going through it.

That's why taking the idea of self denial too far ends up being selfish.

Furthermore, making life all about your own pleasure leaves no room for God in one's life.

That's why taking the idea of self denial too far ends up being selfish.

Furthermore, making life all about your own pleasure leaves no room for God in one's life.

My flesh loves to have it's own way. It even hates reading the bible or doing anything remotely good, so there is some denial in life one must attribute to putting forth effort in doing?

2 Peter 1:5-8 KJVAnd beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

Colossians 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

John 15:4-9 NKJVHe who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

Do you think that people can still attribute the spirit even if they do extreme self-denial, becoming to others as they are in order to reach them with Christ, similar to Paul? Who would be come to those under the law, as one under the law, @Frank Russell.

Incorrect.

The flesh loves using the bible to pass off its ideas as God speaking.

The flesh loves doing good things so it can feel good about itself and receive praise of other people.

I disagree. Here is why, my flesh is weak, but the spirit is willingly and I base it on what Jesus stated.

Matthew 26:
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

43 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.

Do I believe that exercise is good? Yes, and the body loves to have food and everything like that, however the flesh is contrary to the spirit, just as your signature states. Godliness is much better, which is of course a devotion towards Yahava.

Do you think that people can still attribute the spirit even if they do extreme self-denial, becoming to others as they are in order to reach them with Christ, similar to Paul? Who would be come to those under the law, as one under the law, @Frank Russell.
Paul could speak curses and miracles into existence and used it in his evangelism.

Since Jews respond to miracles, unless you too are a miracle worker, you cannot act as Paul did.

Paul could speak curses and miracles into existence and used it in his evangelism.

Since Jews respond to miracles, unless you too are a miracle worker, you cannot act as Paul did.

I don't know. I bet there are people far better at it than me though. I am a indulgent person, and worst at self-control, which is provided from God, by the spirit, which Jesus states that we can ask our Father in heaven of course to help us with. It just takes some dedication and practice just like anything else.

2 Peter 1:
5 And this same also -- all diligence having brought in besides, superadd in your faith the worthiness, and in the worthiness the knowledge,

6 and in the knowledge the temperance, and in the temperance the endurance, and in the endurance the piety,

7 and in the piety the brotherly kindness, and in the brotherly kindness the love;

8 for these things being to you and abounding, do make [you] neither inert nor unfruitful in regard to the acknowledging of our Lord Jesus Christ,

I disagree. Here is why, my flesh is weak, but the spirit is willingly and I base it on what Jesus stated.

Matthew 26:
40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”

43 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.

Do I believe that exercise is good? Yes, and the body loves to have food and everything like that, however the flesh is contrary to the spirit, just as your signature states. Godliness is much better, which is of course a devotion towards Yahava.

In Jesus' temptations in the wilderness, Satan illustrated that he was not allergic to quoting scripture.

Therefore, the flesh also uses the scripture in a similar manner.

Also as it is written in John. How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?

Since Paul speaks of his temporary dwelling of the body as a body of death, as we accept the counterfeit of the flesh, our faith diminishes - thus it is important to examine the motive, so we enjoy what God has given us with thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom