Christ's Law

1Tim 5:16 . . If any believing man or woman have widows, let them relieve them,
and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.

A widow indeed, as defined by 1Tim 5:9-10, is usually a woman facing destitution
who's lost her husband and has no one else, and/or nowhere else, to turn to for
assistance.
_

1Tim 5:17-18 . .The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of
double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. For the
scripture says: "Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain" and "The
laborer is worthy of his hire."

The Greek word for "elder" basically identifies aldermen; which Webster's defines as
members of a legislative body. In other words; elders enact and enforce the
proprietary rules and bylaws that govern everybody in a local church; including its
pastor.

In some churches those rules and bylaws are called a covenant; which new
members are required to accept. The aldermen are also responsible for settling
disputes between church members (1Cor 6:1-5) so that they correspond to "the
church" that Christ spoke of at Matt 18:15-18.

Aldermen aren't peculiar to Christianity. Councils pre-existed amongst Moses'
people prior to Moses' commission (Ex 3:16). Anon, seventy of Israel's elders were
established by God as a supreme council (Num 11:16-17). One's failure to
cooperate with their church's aldermen is grounds for removing their name from
the role. (Matt 18:15-18)

Since Christian aldermen sometimes wear more than one hat as preachers and
teachers; then it's very possible in a large church for them to have time for no
hing else, like for instance holding down a job. For that reason, their constituents
should try and compensate them with a decent standard of living. I mean, after all,
if their service to a local church is invaluable, then by all means the congregation
should do whatever it takes to keep them on staff where they can devote all of their
time and energy towards governing. (that is; if you feel your church is a worthwhile
endeavor)

Let's say for example, that one of your church's aldermen is a retiree trying to
survive on Social Security and a diminished 401K. He'll be a lot more effective
towards your church's good if the congregation, whatever its size, pitches in to help
him make ends meet; and the outside world surely won't blame your church for
doing so unless of course they're as callous towards the needs of a senior citizen as
the heels of a hobnailed jackboot.

But beware that the congregation doesn't overcompensate its aldermen to the point
where they can afford to drive a Cadillac Escalade, wear an Omega, and own an
expensive home in an up-scale district. That will really make Christianity look bad,
and actually work against Christ's best interests.
_

1Tim 5:19 . . Do not accept an accusation against an elder except before two or
three witnesses.

The Old Testament requires a minimum of two witnesses in capital cases (Deut
17:6-7). But the Greek word for "accusation" doesn't specify capital crimes. It can
apply to every variety of conduct unbecoming.

The way I see this: it isn't required that two or three witnesses accuse the elder,
but that an accuser do so in the hearing of two or three witnesses. The witnesses
are not there to testify against the elder; rather, to testify against the accuser in
the event it's discovered that he's the perpetrator of a slander.

* The Old Testament requires that false accusers be punished with the very same
punishment that they expected for their victims. (Deut 19:16-21)
_

1Tim 5:20 . .Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.

Once it's discovered that an accuser's allegations are libelous, then it's time to get
up in front of the entire congregation and expose him for the cheap goods he really
is because nobody's reputation is safe in the hands of someone like that. This is
where the testimony of the aforementioned two or three witnesses comes into play.

"I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a
brother but is a slanderer. With such a man do not even eat. Expel the wicked man
from among you." (1Cor 5:11-13)

A congregational roast can be a very humiliating experience for a church member,
and when the others see how it goes, they'll think twice before making spurious
allegations against aldermen.
_

1Tim 5:21 . . I charge thee before God, and The Lord Jesus Christ, and the elect
angels, that thou observe these things without preferring one before another, doing
nothing by partiality.

NOTE: The Greek word translated "angels" is somewhat ambiguous and doesn't
necessarily refer to celestial beings. It basically pertains to messengers, i.e.
delegates; both natural and supernatural. For example Matt 11:10 where it refers
to John the baptizer, and Luke 7:24 where it refers to John's assistants, and Luke
9:52 where it refers to Jesus' assistants, and Jas 2:25 where it refers to Joshua's
scouts. The angels of the seven churches per Rev 1:11-3:22 are likely church
managers but it's difficult to be certain.

I seriously doubt that very many modern Christian churches are following Paul's
instructions in regards to spurious accusations against elders. They probably find it
much easier to just gloss over issues rather than comply with the mandatory
procedure for roasting and expelling. (as if any of this is ever optional and/or
negotiable)

Another thing that modern churches are very good at these days is covering up an
elder's indiscretions when what they really deserve is a public hanging, so to speak.
Happens all the time.
_

1Tim 5:22a . . Do not lay hands upon anyone too hastily.

The laying on of hands was a commissioning ritual back in the day. (Acts 6:1-6,
Acts 13:1-3)

The ruling seems primarily concerned with the avoidance of fast-tracking
candidates for aldermen, senior pastors, associate pastors, deacons, and
deaconesses; in other words: church officials; whether high ranking or low.
_

1Tim 5:23 . . No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your
stomach and your frequent ailments.

In the days prior to the proliferation of antiseptics, antibiotics, inoculations, and a
host of other mass-produced treatments; wine was an important remedy for just
about everything from tummy aches to open wounds. (e.g. Mark 15:23, and Luke
10:34)

Medicine has come a long ways in the last 2,000 years so that even if a little wine
would still help whatever ailed Timothy, there's probably much better over-the
counter, non-alcoholic remedies available for his condition in our day.

Paul mentioned that his friend had other problems too. I have no clue what those
might have been; but I have to ask: Why didn't Paul utilize his apostolic gift of
healing to cure his friend? My answer is: probably because Timothy's problems
didn’t require a miracle. For example Mark 16:13 where Christ's men utilized oil to
treat certain cases rather than miracles; which were actually intended to be signs
so they were reserved for the really tough cases where they'd make an impression
instead of a yawn.

In many, many cases; people don't need a miracle; they just need medicine. For
example: yours truly takes pills for thyroid, blood pressure, cholesterol, acid reflux,
and kidney function. That's not counting vaccines for tetanus, flu, pneumonia, and
shingles, etc, etc.

What else might be taken from 1Tim 5:23? Well; I would say DO NOT rely upon so
called faith healing. Too many children are being lost to treatable conditions these
days because their parents are putting so much trust in their church's interpretation
of passages like Jas 5:14-15. If Paul recommended a remedy for Timothy's tummy;
don't you think he would recommend a remedy for your child's treatable condition?
Yes; of course he would. In many, many cases; children don't need a miracle; they
just need a doctor.
_

1Tim 6:1-2 . . Let all who are under the yoke as slaves regard their own masters
as worthy of all honor so that the name of God and our doctrine may not be spoken
against. And let those who have believers as their masters not be disrespectful to
them because they are brethren, but let them serve them all the more, because
those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved.

I've heard that Masons practice favoritism; but Christians should never impose
upon a fellow believer in that manner. Give your Christian employer the respect and
subordination due his position; and give him a full day's work for a full days' pay.
People are watching, and they pick up on things like disparity.

NOTE: I have yet to come upon a passage of scripture that condemns slavery. I'm
not saying there isn't one; only that I've yet to see it. Civil rights activists insist
slavery is evil, but from what I've seen in the Bible; God's primary concern is in
how slaves are treated.
_

1Tim 6:2 . .Teach and preach these principles.

Pastors should ensure their congregations are taught Paul's stuff even when they
don't care to hear it; and should never let their indifference discourage him from
doing his duty.

"I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus-- who is to judge
the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom --preach the word;
be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience
and instruction.

. . . For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but desiring
to have their ears pleased, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in
accordance with their own longings; and will turn away their ears from the truth,
and will turn aside to fiction." (2Tim 4:1-2)

To be "ready in season" likely speaks of windows of opportunity. In other words;
pastors may have their people's attention for now, but shouldn't take their attention
for granted. The old saying, "strike while the iron is hot" is just as apropos in the
pulpit as it is in parenting.

* The same can be said for internet forums. As they are today, even the lowliest of
Christians can discuss their religion with anyone in the world by just a few clicks of
the mouse, but we mustn't assume this advantage will always be available. Carpe
Diem.
_

1Tim 6:3-6 . . If anyone advocates a different doctrine, and does not agree with
sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to
godliness; he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in
controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife,
abusive language, evil suspicions, and constant friction between men of depraved
minds and deprived of the truth.

I'm pretty sure that the "conceit" Paul wrote about is relative to self-taught
experts; with them there is no such thing as a second opinion. And like the man
said: they tend to be quarrelsome, i.e. perpetual debaters, constantly arguing,
going off on tangents, and never getting to the bottom of anything. Their
discussions (if we can call them that) are typically garnished with denigrating
comments and unkind remarks.
_

1Tim 6:8 . . Having food and raiment let us be content therewith.

According to 1Tim 1:1-3, this epistle wasn't written to a church, rather, it was
written to one of Paul's contemporaries-- a fellow church officer --so when he uses
a pronoun like "us" I think it's safe to assume, unless indicated otherwise, that he's
not speaking to a congregation.

Paul's instructions are handy for steering church officers away from wanting too
much out of life.

"Piety with contentment is great gain." (1Tim 6:6)

The Greek word for contentment is sometimes translated "sufficient". In other
words, when good is adequate, better isn't necessary. Good is easier on budgets
than better too. So then: if a church officer can get by with things that are less
than best, then he shouldn't waste time and energy concerning himself with
improving his situation; because, after all, their lives here are transient.

"For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in Heaven, which
is yet to come." (Heb 13:14)
_

1Tim 6:11 . . But you-- O man of God --flee these things and pursue
righteousness, piety, faith, love, patience, and gentleness.

German philosopher Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844-1900) believed that
Christian virtues, especially compassion, are an impediment to achieving greatness;
which is just another way of saying that nice guys finish last.

The Greek word for "flee" basically means not to walk away; but rather, to run
away; as if for your life. (cf. 1Cor 6:18)

FAQ: What is a man of God?

REPLY: Well; first off we should point out that the Greek word for "man" in that
passage is anthropos (anth'-ro-pos) which refers to human beings of either gender;
so it would be far more useful to translate that phrase "person of God".

NOTE: Man of God is okay too because when the creator made humans, he called
both genders "man". (Gen 1:27 & Gen 5:2)

Numerous passages in the Old Testament identify men of God as inspired
individuals, i.e. prophets. In that respect; Abel was a man of God (Luke 11:49-51)
Abraham was a man of God (Gen 20:7) and a whole bunch of other people too,
including women; e.g. Miriam (Ex 15:20) Deborah (Judg 4:4) Asahiah (2Kgs 22:14)
and Huldah (2Chron 24:32).

Obviously then, if your church's officers aren't inspired; then they aren't men of
God; they're just church managers on a career path.

* The Greek word for patience basically means to be consistent. For example: an
employee at my work once did an unusually good job on one of his assignments
and felt he deserved a high score on his annual performance evaluation because of
it. But I pointed out that in order to be rated high, the quality of his work had to be
excellent all year rather than occasionally.
_

1Tim 6:12a . . Fight the good fight of the faith.

The first Greek word translated "fight" pertains to struggle; literally to compete for
a prize. This is the kind of conflict played out in competitive sports.

The word for "fight" pertains to a place of assembly; viz: the field of completion;
e.g. arenas, coliseums, and/or stadiums.

The object of a Christian's struggle is not so much conquest, but rather, a prize. In
Paul's day athletes won wreaths. In our day, they win medals and lucrative
contracts for product endorsements.

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the
prize? Run in such a way that you may win. And everyone who competes in the
games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable
wreath, but we an imperishable." (1Cor 9:24-26)

In Paul's day, there were no second-place winners; only first. When the competition
is that fierce, athletes really go all out. So Paul is saying that Christians should
battle for their reward as if there were only one gold to go around; in other words;
really put their hearts into it.

However, in order to be adjudged a good fight, the contestants, win or lose, have to
go by the book.

"When someone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown
unless he competes according to the rules." (2Tim 2:5)
_

1Tim 6:12b . .Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you
made your good profession in the presence of many witnesses.

All of Christ's believing followers were called to eternal life. Note the grammatical
tense of the "have" verb in the passages below. It's in the present tense; not
future; indicating that Christ's believing followers have eternal life right now-- no
delay, and no waiting period.

John 3:36 . . He who believes in the Son has eternal life

John 6:47 . .Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

John 5:24 . . I assure you, those who heed my message and trust in God who
sent me, have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they
have already passed from Death into Life.

1John 5:13 . . I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of
God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

FAQ: Why would Paul encourage Timothy to take hold of eternal life if he already
had it?

REPLY: The Greek word translated "take hold" is somewhat ambiguous. It can mean
reach for, and it can also mean to take something in order to make use of it. For
example having a lawn mower in your garage with a can of gas sitting beside won't
be much use for cutting grass unless gas is transferred from the can to the mower's
tank. The mower is a perfectly good machine, and the gas is a perfectly good fuel;
but the two need to be combined in order to be effective.

FAQ: How so?

REPLY: Eternal life in 1Tim 6:12b is modified by a Greek article indicating that we
should understand this as "the" eternal life, i.e. a person (1John 1:1-2) In other
words; Paul didn't want Timothy to be just another run of the mill career-path
cleric; rather, he wanted his friend to be a minister empowered by God.
_

1Tim 6:17-19 . . Command those who are rich in this present world not to be
conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly
supplies us with all things to enjoy.

In other words; providence is where the real security is because God controls it
rather than market fluctuations.

Webster's defines "conceit" as an excessive appreciation of one's own worth and/or
virtue. It's is all too common for the rich and famous to exhibit an aristocratic
masters-of-the-universe demeanor, so to speak. In other words: conceited people
think of themselves as self-reliant; they don't need God for anything; no, they can
get by just fine without Him. In their mind's eye, only the weak need religion.

"Command them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to
share, storing up for themselves the treasure of a good foundation for the future,
so that they may take hold of that which is life indeed." (1Tim 6:18-19)

"that which is life indeed" refers to the divine nature about which Peter wrote at
2Pet 1:4, which offers a lasting return on one's investment.

"He who is gracious to a poor man lends to The Lord, and He will repay him for his
good deed." (Prov 19:17)
_

1Tim 6:20 . . Avoid impious and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely
so called:

Not all science is false. However, there are disciplines that fall into a category called
"theoretical" referring to unproven ideas and concepts in chemistry, astronomy,
geology, archeology, medicine, genetics, paleontology, anthropology, history,
literature, physics, engineering, mathematics, etc.

Impious babbling probably refers to science-sounding arguments deliberately
intended to discredit the Bible, i.e. sophistry.

Vain babbling tells us that science-sounding arguments are futile; defined by
Webster's as trifling and frivolous, i.e. of no real practical use or value.

1Tim 6:20 is especially applicable to informal group discussions, i.e. forums, bull
sessions, and brain storming; conducted by people with a head full of scientific
opinions who likely haven't a clue what they're talking about.

For example: one day at work a man in the break room said he believes it's
arrogant to assume there is no other intelligent life in the universe but that found
on earth. You know why he said that? Because he heard it said first by someone he
admires, ergo: he was perpetuating a logical fallacy in the form of a respectable
opinion.

People throw that spurious kind of stuff up to Christians all the time in attempts to
debunk their religion and prove that it deserves no more credibility than myth,
superstition, and/or fantasy. But seriously; don't unproven scientific theories
deserve the very same labels?
_

2Tim 1:8a . . Do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord (cf.1Pet 4:16-19)

Christianity is rooted in Christ. So when people identify themselves as Christians
they're saying that they're his followers; i.e. they're aligned with him and they
accept his teachings and his claims as the God's truth; while at the same time
categorizing themselves as kooks and religious fanatics; and thus open to mockery
and unkind gossip.

It's tough, but we have to bite the bullet lest when we meet Jesus, he gives us the
same look he gave Peter on the night of the Lord's arrest. (Luke 22:61-62)

"If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation,
the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the
holy angels." (Mark 8:38)

Jesus 02.jpg

2Tim 1:8b . . Don't be ashamed of me his prisoner; but Join with me in suffering
for the gospel, by the power of God.

Peter distanced himself from Christ on the night of the Lord's arrest, no doubt
fearing that if he were to admit to being one of the Lord's associates, he'd be
arrested too. It appears Paul was concerned that Timothy, who was normally a loyal
associate, would do the same to him while he was behind bars.

The power of God is involved in one's suffering for the gospel when He sets you up
for it.

Phil 1:29 . . For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe
on him, but also to suffer for him.

Suffering for the Gospel doesn't necessarily include martyrdom. The more common
forms of suffering are privation, humiliation, threats, hunger, loss of friends and
family, ostracizing, ridicule, mockery, harsh criticism, judgmental remarks, insults,
intimidation, name calling, demeaning comments, ugly insinuations, slander,
teasing, harassment, bullying, unfairness, prejudice, intolerance, disassociation,
treachery, and betrayal; in other words, the kinds of stuff that really get you right
down in the gut.

NOTE: The Greek word translated "granted" basically means to bestow as a favor,
i.e. a gratuity. In other words: the adversities described above should never be
cursed as bad luck when they just might actually be providential blessings.

"Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as
though some strange thing happened unto you: but rejoice, inasmuch as you are
partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, you may be
glad also with exceeding joy." (1Pet 4:12-13)
_

2Tim 1:13 . . Hold fast the pattern of sound words which you have heard from
me.

The Greek word for "hold fast" means to clutch, cling, or adhere to.

The word for "pattern" means a sketch; viz: a blueprint, a schematic diagram,
and/or an example, i.e. a model. (e.g. 1Tim 1:16)

When Noah was commissioned to build the ark, he wasn't left clueless as to what it
was supposed to look like. God gave him a design to work with. And when Moses
was tasked to fabricate articles of worship for the Tabernacle, he too was given
designs. In other words, Moses and Noah both made everything according to God
given specifications; viz: Christianity is a God-given religion; He has not left it to
human ingenuity.

What this boils down to is that modern churches have been handed down from
Paul, and to a certain extent from Peter, a God-given pattern for their operations.
When they depart from His pattern, then they are no longer following Christ,
rather; they are attempting to revise his ways.
_

2Tim 1:14 . . With the help of the Holy Spirit who lives within us; carefully guard
what has been entrusted to you.

This probably refers to congregations whose spiritual welfare is the responsibility of
church officers. The officers found in dereliction of duty are known as non vigilant
watchdogs and self-seeking, incompetent shepherds; for example:

Isa 56:10-11 . . Israel's watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge; they are all
mute dogs, they cannot bark; they lie around and dream, they love to sleep. They
are dogs with mighty appetites; they never have enough. They are shepherds who
lack understanding; they all turn to their own way, each seeks his own gain. (cf.
John 10:11)

So; exactly what is the "help of the Holy Spirit". Well; I'd say it's a motivation, to
the point of obsession, because I think we can safely assume that God is never
half-hearted about His business, viz: a church officer who lacks obsession with his.
congregation's spiritual welfare should probably not be in a position to influence
folks in that way.
_

Back
Top Bottom