But thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself:

Studyman

As I lay in bed last night, pondering the Word of God, these Scriptures came into my mind.

Lev. 19: 17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him. 18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Jesus brought these Scriptures up when HE was pointing out what the corrupt priests "Them of old time" had omitted in their religious philosophy (Matt. 5). I thought about the qualifications or guideline God used concerning what kind of "LOVE" I was to show others. To "Love them, as I Love myself". And also, that I was to "Rebuke" others, and not suffer (Stay quiet about, in my understanding) Sin upon them.

I never really thought about this before in a deeper sense. But this scripture is a commandment to make a judgment regarding the behavior of others and God is calling this "Love", but puts a qualifier on it, "As I love myself". I believe Jesus spoke to this very thing.

Luke 6: 41 And why beholdest thou the mote (Sin) that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam (SIN) that is in thine own eye?

42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

Think about this for a moment. Is it not "God's definition of Love" to rebuke His Children so as not to Suffer sin upon them? And so, it is exhibiting God's LOVE for my neighbor to warn him of transgressions. But look what Jesus exposes here. I must "First" Love Myself, before I can Love my Neighbor "As Myself".

42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, (How can I Love My Brother) when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? (When I have not shown the same Love for myself) Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, ( First Love myself) and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye. (Then, knowing the Love of God, I can Love my Brother)

The Scriptures started pouring into my head after these thoughts about "How do I Love myself" according to God?

Deut 30: 19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live: 20 That thou mayest love the LORD thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days: that thou mayest dwell in the land which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.

Ez. 18: 31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel? 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

Luke 13: 3 I tell you, Nay: but, except "ye repent", ye shall all likewise perish.

John 6: 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except "ye eat" the flesh of the Son of man, "and drink" his blood, "ye have" no life in you.

Rom. 2: 7 "To them" who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Rom. 6: 16 Know ye not, that to whom "ye yield yourselves" servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom. 12: 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that "ye present" your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Eph. 4: 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that "ye put on" the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

2 Cor. 9 Wherefore "we labour", that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.

Matt. 6: 33 But "seek ye first" the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

These Scriptures and many more define for God's People how we "Love ourselves" first, so we can know how to Love others, not with fleshy man's love, but with the Righteous Love of God.

Living the good life that God has made ready for us is based on our being obedient to His way of being and doing. He gives us the strength to do what is right, but we are the ones who must choose it… God won’t do it for us. He helps us, but we must participate by choosing right over wrong. We can feel wrong and still choose to do what is right. Nobody can consistently enjoy life until they are willing to do that.

For example, I may feel like shutting someone out of my life because they have hurt my feelings or treated me unfairly, but I can choose to pray for them and treat them as Jesus would while I am waiting for Him to vindicate me. If I act according to my feelings, I will do the wrong thing and forfeit peace and joy. But if I choose to do what God has instructed me to do in His Word, I will have God’s reward in my life.

Living the good life that God has made ready for us is based on our being obedient to His way of being and doing. He gives us the strength to do what is right, but we are the ones who must choose it… God won’t do it for us. He helps us, but we must participate by choosing right over wrong. We can feel wrong and still choose to do what is right. Nobody can consistently enjoy life until they are willing to do that.

For example, I may feel like shutting someone out of my life because they have hurt my feelings or treated me unfairly, but I can choose to pray for them and treat them as Jesus would while I am waiting for Him to vindicate me. If I act according to my feelings, I will do the wrong thing and forfeit peace and joy. But if I choose to do what God has instructed me to do in His Word, I will have God’s reward in my life.

I agree. It's up to each man to "Yield themselves" servants to whom they choose to obey. In modern times, I have come to understand that this means yielding oneself to obey (Live by) this world's religious traditions and judgments and philosophies, which are "many", or yielding oneself to the Word, (commandments, Judgments and ordinances) of the One True God Jesus said to know is eternal life. This is a path certainly less traveled, but by exercise of use I have become very grateful to be given the chance choose it.

I also agree completely that God not only gives us "Instruction in Righteousness" but also the Capacity to Serve Him in them. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom