Before the reformation

360watt

It's common to assume the history of Christian churches going back to the apostles is with the NT churches.. then the RCC ...then later the reformation... With churches now coming out of those two lines.

The truth is there is a separate line from both. Independent Christian churches that were largely faithful to the bible before the RCC and didn't need to reform.

Cardinal Hosieus speaks of them . Among others. They were grievously cut off with knife...and would have been in much larger numbers were it not for their persecution.

They helped the reformers.. but weren't reforming their own faith .

Waldenses, Paulicians, Donatists among others are names given them for their leaders/ teaching.

They would baptise only believers, rebaptise those baptised wrongly. asserted independence from the state and kept the Lord's Supper and tithing as church ordinances.

History calls them heretics. But it was written by the persecutors.

The so-called “heretics“ came before the so-called “orthodox”.

Church history.

”Who loves you, baby?” - Kojak

I do.

How the Church got from where it began to where it is today is a fascinating story that, sadly, most Christians don’t know about and don’t care about. They should.

It's common to assume the history of Christian churches going back to the apostles is with the NT churches.. then the RCC ...then later the reformation... With churches now coming out of those two lines.

The truth is there is a separate line from both. Independent Christian churches that were largely faithful to the bible before the RCC and didn't need to reform.

Cardinal Hosieus speaks of them . Among others. They were grievously cut off with knife...and would have been in much larger numbers were it not for their persecution.

They helped the reformers.. but weren't reforming their own faith .

Waldenses, Paulicians, Donatists among others are names given them for their leaders/ teaching.

They would baptise only believers, rebaptise those baptised wrongly. asserted independence from the state and kept the Lord's Supper and tithing as church ordinances.

History calls them heretics. But it was written by the persecutors.
Yeah that is interesting. I wish we had more information of various Christians groups that there's not much information about. Maybe they'd be considered like non denominational type believers we see today.

Yeah that is interesting. I wish we had more information of various Christians groups that there's not much information about. Maybe they'd be considered like non denominational type believers we see today.

Well the problem is, these groups themselves weren't so interested in recording their own history. So the information we have is mainly from outsider looking in at them and mostly calling them heretics. But to them.. especially the RCC .. 'heretic' meant rejecting state control, saint worship and infant baptism.

I would call those things 'biblical' :)

Paulicians,
"The fundamental doctrine of the Paulicians was that there are two principles, an evil God, known as the Demiurge, and a good God; the former is the ruler of this world, the latter of the world to come. From this they deduced that Jesus did not take on human flesh because the good God could not have become human."
Britannica

"The fundamental doctrine of the Paulicians was that there are two principles, an evil God, known as the Demiurge, and a good God; the former is the ruler of this world, the latter of the world to come. From this they deduced that Jesus did not take on human flesh because the good God could not have become human."
Britannica

Okay... that isn't what I read. Although there are divergences in beliefs among Anabaptists

Back
Top Bottom