Are Musical Instruments Forbidden in Church Meetings?

"Are Musical Instruments Forbidden in Church Meetings?"

Imagines a scenario where someone begins to speak, and another person blows a trumpet as loud as they can ...

Musical instruments were obviously considered a help to praise in the Old Testament. It seems strange to say that something God thought was a blessing in regard to praising Him in the Old Testament is now unacceptable in the New Testament church.

Since instrumental music has the Old Testament precedent of being approved of God ("musical instruments of God" 1 Chronicles 16:42), and there is no evidence that there was a time when this approval ceased, I believe that we have biblical authority for its validity.

We are authorized to use “psalms” in the NT (Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16). Ephesians 5:19 says "..speaking to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.." and correspondingly Colossians 3:16 says to, "..admonish one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs." The word "psalm" in the Greek dictionary, definition (#5568): "A set piece of music, i.e. a sacred ode (accompanied with the voice, harp, or other instrument)." The root word of psalm means "to twitch, twang or pluck," such as pluck a string of a musical instrument."

Strong's Concordance
psalmos: a striking (of musical strings), a psalm
Original Word: ψαλμός, οῦ, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: psalmos
Phonetic Spelling: (psal-mos')
Short Definition: a psalm
Definition: a psalm, song of praise, the Hebrew book of Psalms.
HELPS Word-studies
5568 psalmós – a psalm ("Scripture set to music"). Originally, a psalm (5568 /psalmós) was sung and accompanied by a plucked musical instrument (typically a harp), especially the OT Psalms.

[The Psalms of the OT were often sung and were accompanied by sophisticated musical arrangements].

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from psalló
Definition
a striking (of musical strings), a psalm
NASB Translation
Psalm (1), psalm (1), Psalms (3), psalms (2).

The words "making melody" are used in Ephesians 5:19, but "how" this is done is found in Isaiah 23:16, and it is with a musical instrument:" Take an harp, go about the city, thou harlot that hast been forgotten; make sweet melody, sing many songs, that thou mayest be remembered."

Also, Amos 5:23 speaks of "the melody of thy viols," which is also reference to a musical instrument. So if "the Bible interprets itself," these passages show "how" to make melody – with musical instruments.

*If a particular church wants to leave out musical instruments in their worship, that is their prerogative. But I don't believe that it's right for them to judge other churches who choose to use musical instruments like David did and as the apostle Paul instructed.

You have to ask @Bob Carabbio I'm sure he knows. I heard somewhere that there's no banjo players in heaven because there's some things even Jesus can't forgive. I'm not making that up there's this song with that title.
As I've said before, the Banjo and the fiddle both share the nickname: "Devil's Walking Stick".

I tried to open a new topic, "Women in Ministry", but I was unsuccessful. So I'll start here.

I recently read a sentence at the bottom of a member's post. It goes something like this: "Don't put God in a box. If He wants to use a woman in ministry, He can."
Of course He can. But if we define "ministry" very narrowly, such as a pastor, then why would God call a woman to be a pastor on the one hand, and yet forbid a woman to be a pastor in His word, on the other hand?
In the qualifications for a pastor or elder or overseer or bishop (all are the same thing), Paul specifically says that "An overseer ... must be the husband of one wife ... He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God)?" 1 Tim. 3:1-5

So who does God expect to manage a family? The father, the husband, not the mother, not the wife. Obviously, if the father dies, or leaves his family, the mother steps in and does the managing. However, if she is a widow less than 60, Paul instructs her to remarry, have children if she is able to, keep house, and don't allow Satan an occasion for reproach. Then the new husband would manage the family.

So if a man desires to be a pastor, he must first show that he is a good manager of his family.
There's no scripture where Paul says that a woman can be a pastor, by being a good manager of her family. If she has a husband, then she is not the manager - he is.

In fact, this is confirmed by Paul in Titus 1:6:
" ... I left you in Crete that you would ... appoint elders in every city ... if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife ..."

In 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Paul says, "The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."

This sounds almost oppressive, but I don't think Paul means it that way. I think he is referring to an attitude among women that Peter speaks of in 1 Peter 3:3-6 "Your adornment must be ... the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear."

I think Paul is saying that women are not to lead the church or to be in a position of authority over the church. Paul confirms this again in 1 Tim. 2:9-15 " ... I want women to adorn themselves ... by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
Obviously, if she taught the whole church, she would be teaching and exercising authority over her own husband, who would be sitting among the others in the church. Paul didn't want that and neither did God.

Did you notice that Jesus never appointed one woman apostle? Apparently, it is not His will that women lead the church. Paul does allow the older women to teach the younger women - and of course, mothers teach their sons along with their husbands. But in church, only men should teach a crowd consisting of men and women.

Paul then justifies his instruction by going all the way back to creation:
"For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint."
Before Eve ate the forbidden fruit, she should have checked with Adam, and submitted to his authority, but she did not. Apparently, if women are not in submission to their husbands, they will be susceptible to being deceived. If their husband tells them to do something that is a sin against God, they should not obey that.

Last edited:
I tried to open a new topic, "Women in Ministry", but I was unsuccessful. So I'll start here.

I recently read a sentence at the bottom of a member's post. It goes something like this: "Don't put God in a box. If He wants to use a woman in ministry, He can."
Of course He can. But if we define "ministry" very narrowly, such as a pastor, then why would God call a woman to be a pastor on the one hand, and yet forbid a woman to be a pastor in His word, on the other hand?
In the qualifications for a pastor or elder or overseer or bishop (all are the same thing), Paul specifically says that "An overseer ... must be the husband of one wife ... He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God)?" 1 Tim. 3:1-5

So who does God expect to manage a family? The father, the husband, not the mother, not the wife. Obviously, if the father dies, or leaves his family, the mother steps in and does the managing. However, if she is a widow less than 60, Paul instructs her to remarry, have children if she is able to, keep house, and don't allow Satan an occasion for reproach. Then the new husband would manage the family.

So if a man desires to be a pastor, he must first show that he is a good manager of his family.
There's no scripture where Paul says that a woman can be a pastor, by being a good manager of her family. If she has a husband, then she is not the manager - he is.

" ... I left you in Crete that you would ... appoint elders in every city ... if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife ..."

In 1 Cor. 14:34-35 Paul says, "The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church."

This sounds almost oppressive, but I don't think Paul means it that way. I think he is referring to an attitude among women that Peter speaks of in 1 Peter 3:3-6 "Your adornment must be ... the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of God. For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear."

I think Paul is saying that women are not to lead the church or to be in a position of authority over the church. Paul confirms this again in 1 Tim. 2:9-15 " ... I want women to adorn themselves ... by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
Obviously, if she taught the whole church, she would be teaching and exercising authority over her own husband, who would be sitting among the others in the church. Paul didn't want that and neither did God.

Did you notice that Jesus never appointed one woman apostle? Apparently, it is not His will that women lead the church. Paul does allow the older women to teach the younger women - and of course, mothers teach their sons along with their husbands. But in church, only men should teach a crowd consisting of men and women.

"For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint."
Before Eve ate the forbidden fruit, she should have checked with Adam, and submitted to his authority, but she did not. Apparently, if women are not in submission to their husbands, they will be susceptible to being deceived. If their husband tells them to do something that is a sin against God, they should not obey that.

Seems like modern America has forgotten some of the writings in the B'rit Hadashah (New Testament). We now have women preachers and pastors everywhere. Ex. Joyce Meyer thar have a cult like Taylor Swift following. I also notice in some churches I've attended in the past that women has assumed the position of "Straw Bosses" since the church has refused women pastors. These straw bosses are political and in one instance has gotten a pastor voted out.
Shalom

Back
Top Bottom