A Review: The Revised English Version (REV) and commentary concerning the worship of Jesus

Fred

The REV is a Bible translation produced by Unitarians who deny the Lord Jesus is God.
By clicking the link below and typing in the Bible passage using your cursor in the empty white box at the top of the screen any passage can be looked up.
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/genesis/1/nav1

They affirm the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer and worship but believe this does not mean He is God.
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/Appendix/13/bb
See also the comments in 1 Corinthians 1:2 as seen here:
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/1-Corinthians/1

Like the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures which was produced by the Jehovah's Witnesses we see an aversion in this version of rendering the Greek word proskyneō as "worship" in reference to the Lord Jesus. The only exception to this is found in Revelation 5:14 in which they affirm in their commentary that Jesus is worshiped - and should be worshiped by us (see below).

Matthew 2:2
“Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we saw his star when it rose and have come to pay homage to him.”

Matthew 2:8
And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, “Go and search diligently for the child, and as soon as you find him, report back to me so that I can come and pay homage to him as well.”

Matthew 2:11
And when they came into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and falling down to their knees, they paid homage to him. And after opening their treasure boxes, they presented gifts to him: gold and frankincense and myrrh.

Matthew 8:2
And look, a man with a serious skin disease came to him and bowed down before him, saying, “Lord, if you are willing, you are able to make me clean.”

Matthew 9:18
While he was speaking these things to them, look, a leader came and bowed down before him, saying, “My daughter has just died, but come and lay your hand on her, and she will live.”

Matthew 14:33
And those who were in the boat bowed down before him, saying, “Truly, you are the Son of God.”

Matthew 15:25
But she came and bowed down before him, saying, “Lord, help me.”

Matthew 20:20
Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came up to him with her sons, bowing down and asking something from him.

Matthew 28:9
And Look! Jesus met them, saying, “Greetings.” And they came and took hold of his feet and paid homage to him.

Matthew 28:17
And when they saw him, they bowed down before him, but some doubted.

Mark 5:6
And when he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and bowed down before him.

Mark 15:19
And they kept striking his head with a reed and spitting on him, and kneeling down, they paid homage to him.

Luke 24:51-53
(51) And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was separated from them and was carried up into heaven.
(52) And after paying homage to him, they returned to Jerusalem with great joy,
(53) and were continually in the Temple, blessing God.

John 9:38
And he said, “Lord, I believe.” And he bowed down before him.

Hebrews 1:6
And when he again brings the firstborn into the inhabited world, he says, And let all the angels of God bow down before him.

Revelation 5:14
And the four living creatures said, “Amen!” And the elders fell down and worshiped.

Revelation 5:14
In this verse, the elders fell and worshiped the Lamb, who is Jesus Christ. As God’s only begotten Son and our Savior, Jesus Christ is certainly worthy of our worship.
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Revelation/5

In all of the following passages the REV commentary correctly teaches Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer (Acts 1:24; 7:59; 9:14; Romans 10:12-13; 1 Corinthians 1:2 and 2 Timothy 2:22; etc.) - see the 2ndand 3rd link posted at the top.
However, they err concerning Acts 2:21 in that they affirm that God (not Jesus) is "the Lord" who is called upon in prayer. Their reason for doing so is that since Peter is quoting Joel, "the Lord" is God. However, Paul quotes the very same Old Testament passage (Joel 2:32 - Joel 3:5 in the Septuagint) in reference to Jesus in Romans 10:13 - which they also agree that "the Lord" refers to Jesus!

Acts 2:21
The phrase “call upon the name of the Lord” generally refers to prayer, and was used both in the Old Testament and New Testament (see commentary on 1 Cor. 1:2). The person who “calls on the name of the Lord” is one who obviously believes in God and prays to Him for help, support, etc. Peter is quoting Joel, so "the Lord" in this context is God. (the boldface is mine)
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Acts/2

Romans 10:13
everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” This is an exact quotation of the Septuagint version of Joel 2:32. The Hebrew text uses Yahweh for “Lord” and the Septuagint Greek uses kurios.
“calls on the name of the Lord.” This is a prayer formula, and refers to prayer to Jesus Christ (see commentary on 1 Cor. 1:2).
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Romans/10

In addition to the information provided in the link below, whenever "the Name of the Lord" is used in The Book of Acts it is always in reference to Jesus.

Last edited:
Their confusion latreuō

Matthew 4:10

It is sometimes stated that since we are to worship only God, and because we are also supposed to worship Jesus, therefore he must be God. That argument is not valid and is based on a false understanding of the word “worship.” While it is true that we are to worship God in a special way reserved only for Him, there is no Greek or Hebrew word that represents that fact. It is an issue of the heart and cannot be represented on the written page...There is a sense, of course, in which there is a very special worship (homage, allegiance, reverent love, and devotion) to be given only to God, but there is no unique word that represents that special worship. Rather, it is a posture of the heart. Scripturally, this must be determined from context. Even words like proskuneō, which are almost always used of God, are occasionally used for showing respect to other men (Acts 10:25). And the word “serve” in Matthew 4:10 is latreuō, which is sometimes translated worship, but used of the worship of other things as well as of the true God (Acts 7:42 - KJV), “worship the host of heaven” and Romans 1:25, “served created things”). Thus, when Christ said, “Worship the Lord your God, and serve only him,” he was speaking of a special worship of God that comes from the heart, not using a special vocabulary word that is reserved for the worship of God only. (The boldface is mine)
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/comm/Matt/4/nav10

What was asserted above is false.
1. The very passage itself (Matthew 4:10) teaches (by the Lord Jesus) that latreuō is due unto God alone.
2. Citing Acts 7:42 and Romans 1:25 does not at all refute point 1 above. In these two passages latreuō is improperly being rendered - for it is due unto God alone! The fact that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of prayer demonstrates He is the proper recipient of latreuō - and this proves Jesus is God!

Despite their incorrect affirmation concerning latreuō the point is clearly made in their comments concerning Revelation 22:3 that God (not Jesus) is receiving latreuō in this passage.

Revelation 22:3
And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and His slaves shall serve (λατρεύσουσιν) Him.

“and his servants will serve him.”
Although Revelation 22:3 mentions both God and Jesus Christ being on the throne, the pronoun “him” is singular and refers to God.
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Revelation/22

Revelation 22:4
“and they will see his face.”
Throughout history, the face of God was hidden. Moses was allowed to see God’s back, but not His face (Exod. 33:20-23). But God never wanted His people to be separate from him, and in the Everlasting Kingdom, the saved will all see God.
“and his name will be on their foreheads.” The people in the Everlasting Kingdom will have the names of both God and Jesus on their foreheads (Rev. 14:1.) But here in this verse, since “his name” is singular it refers to God.
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Revelation/22

The evidence that Jesus is the proper recipient of latreuō in Revelation 22:3 can be seen here:

I think it is also very telling that nothing was said about Revelation 20:6 in their commentary. This is unfortunate because this passage further demonstrates the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of latreuō in Revelation 22:3.

Revelation 20:6
they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.
the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and His slaves shall serve Him.

Just as the pronoun "Him" refers to the nearest antecedent ('Christ') in Revelation 20:6 (more on this below), so too do the pronouns ('His' and 'Him') in a similar grammatical construction refer to the nearest antecedent ('the Lamb') in Revelation 22:3.

Revelation 20:4-6
(4) And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of those who were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark on their foreheads, or on their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
(5) But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
(6) Blessed and holy is he who hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

Finally, as being priests of Christ (Revelation 20:6) it would be expected they render latreuō unto Him.

Their confusion concerning leitourgeō
Acts 13:2
As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, Separate for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.

The English word 'ministered' is based on the Greek word leitourgeō. As with latreuō in Revelation 22:3, there is an unjustified reluctance in accepting the fact that the Lord Jesus is the proper recipient of it (see their comments below).

Luke begins verse 2 by saying, “as they were serving the Lord.” It is sometimes difficult to distinguish when “Lord” (kurios) refers to God and when it refers to Jesus. But in the immediate context of Acts chapter 13, “Lord” appears 8 times (Acts 13:2, 10-12, 44, 47-49). Out of these occurrences, only verse 2 seems to be possibly ambiguous. The others have clear contextual clues pointing toward the referent being “God.”
In Acts 13:10-12, the “paths of the Lord” is a common OT expression referring to the “ways of God” (cf. Hos. 14:9; Ps. 18:21). And in verses 11-12, the idea of “the paths of the Lord” appears to be carried through to verse 12 amounting to “the teaching about the Lord.”
The phrase “word of the Lord” in Acts 13:44 is paralleled by “word of God” in Acts 13:46. And in Acts 13:47-49, Luke begins by saying, “the Lord has commanded us,” referring to the prophecy that God gave through Isaiah concerning the Messiah (cf. Isa. 49:6).
Therefore, in light of this contextual evidence, the “Holy Spirit” speaking in Acts 13:2 refers to God giving the revelation to believers at Antioch that Barnabas and Saul have been chosen to accomplish a specific task for him.
https://www.revisedenglishversion.com/commentary/Acts/13

For a detailed study concerning the Lord Jesus being the proper recipient of leitourgeō in Acts 13:2 see here:

Last edited:
Thanks Fred for letting us know about this translation I was unaware of its existence.

There is another passage and comment that I found interesting.

This is what they affirmed about Acts 5:41:
In the Jewish writings and in the Old Testament (cp. Lev. 24:11, 16), “the Name” was a circumlocution for the name of God, Yahweh, but in the New Testament, “the Name” refers to Jesus Christ.

That "the Name" is used in reference to Jesus demonstrates that He is YHWH.

So often by what Unitarians assert it seems they come so close to believing the truth about Jesus despite their denial of Him being God. The light of this truth is impossible for them to extinguish.

Matthew 6:18
so that your fasting will not be obvious to people, but only to your Father who is in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will repay you.

The boldface above is mine.

This is an example where Unitarians have added to the Bible a word that does not appear in the Greek text. I know of a Unitarian who said the Lord Jesus is not the proper recipient of fasting and this text from Matthew is what he cited.

Notice that fasting is used in reference to the Lord Jesus:
Acts 13:2-3
(2) While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
(3) Then, when they had fasted and prayed and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

Acts 14:23
When they had appointed elders for them in every church, having prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord in whom they had believed.

Back
Top Bottom