What We Anticipate

Clifford

It makes me wonder why the place where we Christians are going to spend eternity isn't really discussed that much. I like this quote from Peter Marshall

"Those we love are with the Lord, and the Lord has promised to be with us. If they are with Him, and He is with us, they can't be far away." I also think we will deeply love everyone and everything in heaven. Those things that separated us here on earth won't exist in heaven.

He will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself will be with them; he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain any more, for the former things have passed away. " Revelation 21:1-4

When I was younger, Heaven seemed like a fairy—tale kingdom, an imaginary place where everything was great and wonderful—no pain, no sorrow, no sickness. And it still is all those things, but for me now it is a totally different thing. I lost my mom very unexpectedly, and I have a sister and other family members in Heaven. Now Heaven is my connection to them. It is the thread of hope that I hang on to knowing that our relationship is not over.

I like to think about it when I get there they can show me around. They can be like my heavenly tour guides. And I know there has to be animals there because Jesus comes back on a white horse and how could it possibly be heaven without animals to love?

Two of my favorite Bible passages are Psalm 139:16, which clearly says that my death date is determined long before my birth date, and the other is Isaiah 57:1-2, which explains that the godly die young because God sees the trouble that lies ahead of them. When my younger sister passed at 29, I know she went home to be with the Lord, I found extraordinary comfort in those two assurances. We had done everything we could humanly speaking to prolong her life. We gave her the best medical care, the most love, and the most affirmation that you could imagine, and yet God had her death date measured. Knowing that her life now is total and complete, absolutely perfect because it's with the Lord, and knowing that we will see her again, oh what a comfort that is. We do worship a great God.

It hurts so much to be separated from Him in our paradise and all those of us who have gone already...

Back
Top Bottom