What is the difference between the Battle of Gog and the Battle of Armageddon?

Ozias

At the beginning of the Tribulation period, Gog (the Prince of Russia/Magog) assembles a mass of nations against Israel that is thwarted by God’s intervention. Armageddon will end the Tribulation period. The Battle of Gog and the Battle of Armageddon are separated by several years and involve different participants. Here are some of the differences that will help keep the two battles separate in your mind:
• In the Battle of Gog, Russia and at least five other nations are involved (Ezekiel 38:2–6). In the Battle of Armageddon, all the nations of the world are involved (Joel 3:2; Zechariah 14:2).
• In the Battle of Gog, the invaders will attack from the north (Ezekiel 38:6, 15; 39:2). In the Battle of Armageddon, the armies come from the north, south, east, and west (Daniel 11:40– 45; Zechariah 14:2; Revelation 16:12–16).
• In the Battle of Gog, the purpose of the armies is to “take a spoil, and to take a prey” (Ezekiel 38:12 KJV). In the Battle of Armageddon, the purpose is to annihilate the Jews and to fight Christ and His army (Zechariah 12:2–3, 9; 14:2; Revelation 19:19).
• In the Battle of Gog, Russia will be the leader of the nations (Ezekiel 38:13). In the Battle of Armageddon, the Antichrist will be the leader (Revelation 19:19).
• In the Battle of Gog, God defeats the northern invaders with the convulsions of the earth, the confusion of the troops, the contagion of diseases, and calamities from the sky. In the Battle of Armageddon, the armies are defeated by the word of Christ—“a sharp sword” (Revelation 19:15, 21).
• In the Battle of Gog, Israel’s enemies will perish upon the mountains of Israel and in the open field (Ezekiel 39:4–5). In the Battle of Armageddon, those slain by the Lord will lie where they fall, from one end of the earth to the other (Jeremiah 25:33).
• In the Battle of Gog, the dead will be buried (Ezekiel 39:12–15). In the Battle of Armageddon, the dead will not be buried, but their carcasses will be totally consumed by the birds (Jeremiah 25:33; Revelation 19:17–18, 21).
• After the battle of Gog, war will continue among the nations involved (other than Israel) during the remainder of the Tribulation (Revelation 13:4–7). After the Battle of Armageddon, swords and spears will be beaten into plowshares and pruning hooks (Isaiah 2:4). And the nations will study war no more.

David Jeremiah, The Prophecy Answer Book

I confess I tend to stay away from end of times stuff. Too much bickering for my tastes over what is not a salvation issue.

The Battle of Gog and the Battle of Armageddon are separated by several years

Several, meaning 3 - not 7 or 1,000 years apart? I've heard so many passionately invest in such timelines. I personally wish Christ would already come and set things right. I've tired of the evil out in the open.

I haven't studied it in a long time, but when I did years ago, I came to the conclusion that Ezekiel 38 is actually talking about the end of the millennium when Satan is loosed. Why?

Ezekiel 38:11 You will say, “I will invade a land of unwalled villages; I will attack a peaceful and unsuspecting people—all of them living without walls and without gates and bars."

Doesn't sound like Israel anytime in the near future, but it would describe Israel during the millennium.

I confess I tend to stay away from end of times stuff. Too much bickering for my tastes over what is not a salvation issue.

Several, meaning 3 - not 7 or 1,000 years apart? I've heard so many passionately invest in such timelines. I personally wish Christ would already come and set things right. I've tired of the evil out in the open.
I agree with you but it's fun dip in it every once in awhile.

I don't think there is a difference at all between those battles. The list in the OP contain some major errors of assumptions and misunderstanding. Instead of going point by point, there are some similarities which confirm they are one and the same.

1. [Eze 38:17 LSB] 17 'Thus says Lord Yahweh, "Are you the one of whom I spoke in former days by the hand of My slaves the prophets of Israel, who prophesied in those days for [many] years that I would bring you against them?
First, God through His prophets have talked about whoever "Gog" is through the Old Testament Scriptures. Therefore, the battles during the last days mentioned in other places also refer to this same battle. A very significant passage to compare is Zechariah 14.

[Eze 39:8 LSB] 8 "Behold, it is coming, and it shall be done," declares Lord Yahweh. "That is the day of which I have spoken.
God states this is specifically about the Day of Yahweh.

2. [Eze 39:4-5 LSB] 4 "You will fall on the mountains of Israel, you and all your troops and the peoples who are with you... 5 "You will fall on the open field;
The battle takes place on the mountains of Israel. This is referring to the mountainous area around Jerusalem.
[Zec 14:5 LSB] 5 And you will flee by the valley of My mountains, for the valley of the mountains will reach to Azel; indeed, you will flee just as you fled before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Then Yahweh, my God, will come, [and] all the holy ones with Him!
The population of Jerusalem are instructed to flee through the mountainous area surrounding the city.

3. [Eze 39:4 LSB] 4 "You will fall on the mountains of Israel, you and all your troops and the peoples who are with you; I will give you as food to every kind of predatory bird and beast of the field.
[Rev 19:17-18 LSB] 17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and he cried out with a loud voice, saying to all the birds which fly in midheaven, "Come, assemble for the great supper of God, 18 so that you may eat the flesh of kings and the flesh of commanders and the flesh of strong men and the flesh of horses and of those who sit on them and the flesh of all men, both free men and slaves, and small and great."
Both battles are a feast for all the birds.

4. [Eze 38:19-20 LSB] 19 "In My zeal and in My blazing fury I have spoken [that] on that day there will surely be a great earthquake in the land of Israel. 20 "And the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the beasts of the field, all the creeping things that creep on the ground, and all the men who are on the face of the earth will quake at My presence; the mountains also will be pulled down, the steep pathways will fall, and every wall will fall to the earth.

[Rev 16:18 LSB] 18 And there were flashes of lightning and sounds and peals of thunder; and there was a great earthquake, such as there had not been since man came to be upon the earth, so great an earthquake [was it, and] so mighty.

[Zec 14:4 LSB] 4 And in that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, which is in front of Jerusalem on the east; and the Mount of Olives will be split in its middle from east to west by a very large valley so that half of the mountain will move toward the north and the other half toward the south.

Massive earthquake will happen that will topple every man made skyscraper and building.

5.[Rev 6:12 LSB] 12 Then I looked when He opened the sixth seal, and there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth [made] of hair, and the whole moon became like blood;
[Zec 14:6-7 LSB] 6 And it will be in that day, [that] there will be no light; the luminaries will dwindle. 7 And it will be a unique day which is known to Yahweh, neither day nor night, but it will be that at evening time there will be light.

There will not be day or night - a time twilight.

6. [Eze 38:22 LSB] 22 "With pestilence and with blood I will enter into judgment with him; and I will rain on him and on his troops, and on the numerous peoples who are with him, a torrential rain, with hailstones, fire, and brimstone.

[Rev 16:21 LSB] 21 And huge hailstones, about one talent each, came down from heaven upon men; and men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail, because its plague was extremely severe.

[Zec 14:12 LSB] 12 Now this will be the plague with which Yahweh will plague all the peoples who have gone to war against Jerusalem; their flesh will rot while they stand on their feet, and their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongue will rot in their mouth.

Similar methods of destruction.

These passages contain so many common elements. The different authors focus on differing details and give more information. But it's all the same battle.

At the beginning of the Tribulation period, Gog (the Prince of Russia/Magog) assembles a mass of nations against Israel that is thwarted by God’s intervention. Armageddon will end the Tribulation period. The Battle of Gog and the Battle of Armageddon are separated by several years and involve different participants. Here are some of the differences that will help keep the two battles separate in your mind:
• In the Battle of Gog, Russia and at least five other nations are involved (Ezekiel 38:2–6). In the Battle of Armageddon, all the nations of the world are involved (Joel 3:2; Zechariah 14:2).
• In the Battle of Gog, the invaders will attack from the north (Ezekiel 38:6, 15; 39:2). In the Battle of Armageddon, the armies come from the north, south, east, and west (Daniel 11:40– 45; Zechariah 14:2; Revelation 16:12–16).
• In the Battle of Gog, the purpose of the armies is to “take a spoil, and to take a prey” (Ezekiel 38:12 KJV). In the Battle of Armageddon, the purpose is to annihilate the Jews and to fight Christ and His army (Zechariah 12:2–3, 9; 14:2; Revelation 19:19).
• In the Battle of Gog, Russia will be the leader of the nations (Ezekiel 38:13). In the Battle of Armageddon, the Antichrist will be the leader (Revelation 19:19).
• In the Battle of Gog, God defeats the northern invaders with the convulsions of the earth, the confusion of the troops, the contagion of diseases, and calamities from the sky. In the Battle of Armageddon, the armies are defeated by the word of Christ—“a sharp sword” (Revelation 19:15, 21).
• In the Battle of Gog, Israel’s enemies will perish upon the mountains of Israel and in the open field (Ezekiel 39:4–5). In the Battle of Armageddon, those slain by the Lord will lie where they fall, from one end of the earth to the other (Jeremiah 25:33).
• In the Battle of Gog, the dead will be buried (Ezekiel 39:12–15). In the Battle of Armageddon, the dead will not be buried, but their carcasses will be totally consumed by the birds (Jeremiah 25:33; Revelation 19:17–18, 21).
• After the battle of Gog, war will continue among the nations involved (other than Israel) during the remainder of the Tribulation (Revelation 13:4–7). After the Battle of Armageddon, swords and spears will be beaten into plowshares and pruning hooks (Isaiah 2:4). And the nations will study war no more.

Not correct.

The Ezekiel 38 nation alignment about Gog and Magog is for the last day of this world, involving the battle of Armageddon on the "day of the Lord". That "day of the Lord" is about the last day of this present world, and is when Jesus showed He comes "as a thief" per Rev.16:15. The Zechariah 14 battle is also... speaking of that same "day of the Lord" timing. And that "day of the Lord" battle will involve that great army out of the northern quarters coming upon Jerusalem...

Zeph 3:8
8 Therefore wait ye upon Me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them Mine indignation, even all My fierce anger:
for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy.
KJV

Per 2 Peter 3:10-12, the "day of the Lord" (last day) is when God's consuming fire will burn man's works off this earth. That is the day of Christ's future coming to gather His Church, the last day of this present world. That is the time of the Gog/Magog alignment of Ezekiel 38. And that attack will especially be upon an UNBELIEVING MAJORITY OF JEWS in Israel against Jerusalem.

But the Revelation 20:8-9 Gog and Magog battle will be about the nations in the four quarters of the earth, meaning ALL... nations, that will come up against the "camp of the saints" who then will be upon this earth representing Christ's Church, reigning with Christ Jesus.

Rev 20:7-9
7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

8 And shall go out to deceive
the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

9 And
they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them.
KJV

So I would be very careful listening to someone who just adopts two Old Testament names like "David" and "Jeremiah" for his moniker to make you think God has given him special knowledge in His Word.

So I would be very careful listening to someone who just adopts two Old Testament names like "David" and "Jeremiah" for his moniker to make you think God has given him special knowledge in His Word.
You're the one I won't listen to. You want to make fun of someone's given name who has a huge Ministry written tons of books. David Jeremiah does not make me think anything I'm able to make decisions for myself. And the verdict is in on you my friend. By the way his whole name is Dr. David Jeremiah and if you don't like it take it up with his parents.

You're the one I won't listen to. You want to make fun of someone's given name who has a huge Ministry written tons of books. David Jeremiah does not make me think anything I'm able to make decisions for myself. And the verdict is in on you my friend. By the way his whole name is Dr. David Jeremiah and if you don't like it take it up with his parents.
Dr David Jeremiah History
Dr. David Jeremiah, born on February 13, 1941, in Toledo, Ohio, is an American evangelical Christian author, founder of Turning Point Radio and Television Ministries, and senior pastor of Shadow Mountain Community Church, a Southern Baptist megachurch in El Cajon, California. He is the son of Rev. Dr. James T. Jeremiah and Ruby Jeremiah.
Jeremiah attended Cedarville University, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree. He later pursued a Master of Theology degree at Dallas Theological Seminary. He has been in ministry for over five decades and is known for his ability to make the Bible relatable to contemporary audiences.
In 1973, Jeremiah became the senior pastor of Blackhawk Baptist Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He served there until 1981 when he became the senior pastor of Scott Memorial Baptist Church in San Diego, California, which later became Shadow Mountain Community Church.
In 1982, Jeremiah founded Turning Point Radio and Television Ministries, which broadcasts his teachings globally. The ministry aims to provide Christians with sound Bible teaching through various platforms, including radio, television, the Internet, live events, and resource materials and books.
Dr. David Jeremiah has authored more than fifty books, including “The Book of Signs,” “Forward,” and “Where Do We Go From Here?” His teachings and writings have impacted millions of people worldwide, and he continues to serve as a prominent evangelical Christian leader.

GOG AND MAGOG (גוֹג, gog; and מָגוֹג, magog). Ruler (Gog) and kingdom (Magog) who waged war against Israel in Ezek 38–39. This power from the north, “Gog of Magog,” appears as two nations, “Gog and Magog,” who fight for Satan in Rev 20:8.

Gog and Magog in Ezekiel
Ezekiel’s identification of Gog appears to be connected with the table of nations in Gen 10, as he associates Gog with Magog, Meshech, Tubal, and Gomer, all sons of Japheth. The description of Gog as an invading power follows standard prophetic themes, with multiple allusions to Isaiah (compare Ezek 38:8 with Isa 2:2–4, Ezek 38:10-12 with Isa 10:6). The notion that Yahweh will incite Gog to attack the people of Israel in service to His purposes—and later turn against the invader in wrath—is rooted in Isaiah’s theology of dual-agency (Isa 10:12).
Ezekiel may have been influenced by prophetic descriptions of an “enemy from the north” (Jer 1:13–15, 4:6) and perhaps has connected this prophecy with Gyges of Lydia, a renowned king from Anatolia. The cosmic disruption described in Ezek 38:19–23 is rooted in the “Day of the Lord” prophetic tradition, in which God appears as warrior, judge, and king to defeat His enemies (e.g., Joel 2).

Gog and Magog in Later Traditions
Gog and Magog have been consistent features in apocalyptic rhetoric throughout history, a witness to the power of God to defeat His enemies and rescue faithful ones from oppression and violence. In describing Yahweh’s destruction of Gog’s army, Ezekiel established metaphorical patterns that became central in both Jewish and Christian apocalyptic traditions. In the Qumran War Scroll, Gog appears as the recipient of God’s final judgment (1QM 11:16–17). In Revelation 20:8, Gog and Magog are two nations that fight on the side of Satan in the final battle against God. They are devoured by fire from heaven while the devil is cast into eternal torment in the lake of fire (Rev 20:9–10).
Jewish and Christian interpreters have long attempted to identify these elusive names and places. Gog and Magog were identified in early Judaism with the Scythians, and they appear in the later Jewish apocalyptic tradition (3 Enoch 45:5, Sibylline Oracles 3:319–322, and Targum Pseudo-Jonathan 11:26). Ancient Christian references include:

• Augustine’s interpretation that Gog and Magog represent those in whom the devil dwells and the devil himself (City of God 10.11)
• Theodoret’s identification of them with the Huns who threaten civilization (Ecclesiastical History 5.37.4).
• Christian apocalypticists have identified Gog as any number of historical enemies, from Rome and the Goths to the Mongols and the Russians.

Related Articles
For more information, see these articles: Ezekiel, Book of; Revelation, Book of; Day of Judgment; Apocalyptic Literature, Introduction to; Enoch, Third Book of; Sibylline Oracles; Targum; Table of Nations.

Bibliography
Tooman, William A. Gog of Magog: Reuse of Scripture and Compositional Technique in Ezekiel 38–39. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2011.
Railton, Nicholas. “Gog and Magog: The History of a Symbol.” Evangelical Quarterly 75 (2003): 23–43.
Sverre Bøe. Gog and Magog: Ezekiel 38–39 as Pre-text for Revelation 19,17–21 and 20,7–10. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2001.

Bryan D. Bibb, “Gog and Magog,” ed. John D. Barry et al., The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

Back
Top Bottom