The importance of the Bible in our life

civic

This was a devotional I shared with our Mens discipleship group. The importance of diligence, training and discipline.

2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man or woman of God may be fully capable, equipped for every good work.

paideia: the rearing of a child, training, discipline

Original Word:
παιδεία, ας, ἡ
Definition: the rearing of a child, training, discipline
Usage: discipline; training and education of children, hence: instruction; chastisement, correction. properly, instruction that trains someone to reach full development (maturity) tutorage, i.e. Education or training; by implication, disciplinary correction -- chastening, chastisement, instruction, nurture.

2 Timothy 2:15
Be diligent
to present yourself approved to God as a worker who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth.

spoudazó: to make haste, hence to give diligence

Original Word:
σπουδάζω
Definition: to make haste, to give diligence
Usage: I hasten, am eager, am zealous.properly, be swift (go fast, be speedy); (figuratively) to move speedily by showing full diligence (fully applying oneself); acting fervently (speedy commitment) to accomplish all that God assigns through faith

2 Timothy 1:7- For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

sóphronismos: self-control

Original Word:
σωφρονισμός, οῦ, ὁ
Definition: self-control
Usage: self-control, self-discipline, prudence, sound mind. behavior that "fits" a situation, i.e. aptly acting out God's will by doing what He calls sound reasoning
Romans 15:4- For everything that was written in the past was written for our instruction, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures, we might have hope.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart”

The Word of God is alive because God is a living God (Hebrews 3:12). Jesus said, “The very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life” (John 6:63).

Jesus compared God’s Word to seed (Matthew 13:1–23). Seed, like the Word, is a living organism that, when spread and planted in fertile soil, produces abundant life, a fruitful life that is evident for all to see, unlike the unfruitful Fig Tree that Jesus cursed in Mark 11:14.

The New birth comes from the Word. Christians are made alive spiritually and eternally because we are “born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring Word of God” (1 Peter 1:23)

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of Christ (Romans 10:17)

There is no other book in all creation that is living, alive, transforms the heart permanently. The term active in Hebrews 4:12 means “effective, powerful, producing or capable of producing an intended result.” The Word of God is vibrant, dynamic, energizing, and productive. It is not static or idle in the lives of genuine believers. The apostle Paul explained that the Word of God is “at work in you who believe” (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

The author of Hebrews described the Word of God as “sharper than any double-edged sword.” Paul called it “the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God” (Ephesians 6:17) It is the only offensive weapon in the armor for the believer. Jesus used the word of God to refute satan in the temptation in the wilderness. We have the same access as believers to the word of God, the word of truth to combat sin and our enemy.

2 Peter 1:19
We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

Psalm 119:11- Thy Word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee. Delight to do Your will, O my God; Your law is within my heart (Psalm 40:8) But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. (Psalm 1:2) This Book of the Law must not depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in all you do. (Joshua 1:8)

Memorizing Scripture and hiding in our hearts can give us victory over sin. Cultivating meditation on Gods word is transforming. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will (Romans 12:2) and like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation (1 Peter 2:2) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.(Colossians 3:16)Gods word applied to our lives causes our growth as believers, followers of Christ who are His disciples.

hope this helps !!!

2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man or woman of God may be fully capable, equipped for every good work.
And strangely some people think the Bible is just mere words, preaching words......they imply they don't need it after all they've got the Spirit. Yes one would be wise to stay with 2 Tim 3:16 like you say.

One thing I'm weighing is the role of bible reading in a Christian's life. Having bibles conveniently accessible to many people is something that began in around the last 500 years. It definitely is a blessing but one that not all Christians have access to (e.g. Chinese Christians). Often people don't read the bibles they do have. And I did find it quite narrow when some mentioned about only reading the Psalms. I did start a survey on my website to see what people's interests are in reading scripture. We'll see if people find that and respond to it. If interested, the website is parablesofthemysteries.com

Back
Top Bottom