How NOT to do Apologetics: Darth Dawkins

Diserner

A good character is a vital component of being a good witness: not just being more correct.

I don't want to just insult a person, but a negative example can be a good learning illustration.

Consider how this particular apologist is consistently viewed by unbelievers and the different ways his poor character and actions obscure his message:

Also I use to follow someone much worse in the 80's by the name of Gene Scott. Are you familiar with his ministry in the 70's-90's.

No, that's before my time!
He was similar but way more educated with a doctorate from Stanford in philosophy. He knew his Bible and philosophy. He was a good debater and could defend both sides of any argument. I use to like him allot as a young believer and he appealed to my manly flesh, the macho side and was not a wimpy preacher but one who spoke with “ authority “.

Finally after questioning some things and researching the characteristics of cults I realized I had been duped. He had fit to 10 characteristics of a cult leader. I always knew something didn’t quite seem right. My best friends mom and siblings all watched him and I was the new Christian so I trusted their judgment.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

I listened to an early Greg Bahnsen it was pretty interesting.
When you think about this it can be scary. I have placed my trust in a few men who I believed were Gods spokesperson, true preachers/teachers from God that taught false doctrines and I believed them. Mac and RC are a couple of others along with calvin and luther.

Being a good Berean is no easy task and then to be able to admit what you believe can be wrong. Pride 99% of the time will stand in the way of acknowledging I might be wrong.

Being a good Berean is no easy task and then to be able to admit what you believe can be wrong. Pride 99% of the time will stand in the way of acknowledging I might be wrong.

Absolutely. And it's harder when you constantly sit under a ministry. I grew up I guess kind of Charismatic, but then sat under Word of Faith for a long time. Believe it or not, as much as people despise Word of Faith, they really do have a lot of proof texts and logic for their health and wealth Gospel. I never completely believed it, but just being under it so long definitely had an effect on me, and some things got into me that I had to deeply relearn.

I don't want to just insult a person
Then why are you?

a negative example can be a good learning illustration.
Feel free to use your own negative examples as a good learning illustration.

In light of Philippians 4:8, you should not focus on what is, by your own standards, negative.

I don't know who this person is but I do believe in the flowering of denominations by the Holy Spirit and that Dawkins is appealing to some who would otherwise not be reached. He's doing God's work - no matter how imperfectly in your estimation.

Paul’s Use of His Freedom

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV

Then why are you?

Do you know what the word "just "means?

Your reading comprehension seems to really need improvement.

I was not "just" doing that—I was using it as a teaching illustration.

Feel free to use your own negative examples as a good learning illustration.

Uh.

I do feel free and I don't need your permission.

Did you even exert 30 seconds worth of effort to see if I've ever written anything negative about myself?

I'm pretty sure you didn't—because it's not even that hard to find.

You really look like you posted just to try to find something to make me look bad—because nothing you wrote was logical.

I suggest you examine your own heart see if your motives were pure.

And I never once even suggested nothing Darth did was good.

Do you know what the word "just "means?

Your reading comprehension seems to really need improvement.

I was not "just" doing that—I was using it as a teaching illustration.
I read fine. Picking on someone on the grounds that you have a loftier aim in mind does not hold up to scrutiny. The ends do not justify the means.

Back
Top Bottom