Grace & Love @ US Open Tennis Despite Cancel Culture

Wrangler

I don't remember the exact words but the sentiment was love for who the man was, not merely what he did. The old man with grey hair explained it was his personality, his sense of humor, his grit and determination, the light that shines from the man, the Christian man - and I don't mean nominally Christian but practicing Christian. The President and Chairmen of the Board of the USTA, after announcing the most successful tournament ever in terms of attendance, 50% more than the Super Bowl - everyday for 14 days - making the 2023 US Open the most attended sporting event in human history, began the trophy presentation ceremony with these words, "Daniil, New York loves you."

The power of the words, expressed so genuinely and without qualification brought tears to the 6'6" world #3 ranked Daniil Medvedev.

Us Bible lovers crave context. The context of these powerful statements was in the midst of Cancel Culture. A horrible thing the media covering the tennis world has chosen to do is cancel part of this man's nature, along with the women ranked #1 and US Open Finalist, Aryna Sabalenka and others. A wonderful thing about tennis, the greatest international sporting event in the world - greater than even the Olympics, which is only every 4 years - is the honoring and recognizing of where each of the athletic competitors are from.

Since the war in Ukraine, some gifted players noticeably have where their countries flag should be when announcing the score, just a greyed out square. Where 3 letters should be after their name is nothing. Cancel culture on display. Such was the fate of Aryna and Daniil.

And because they are from Christian Russia, you know where athletes are from who have no flag or 3 letters next to their name. The Christian Russian tennis players are doing very well this year. Like most of us, these athletes have nothing to do with decisions their country's government make. Individual punishment for corporate guilt is shameful. It is bigotry, plain and simple. I could start a whole thread just on that. And let's not kid ourselves, the propaganda against Christian Russia does not change the fact that Ukraine is the most corrupt country in the West and certainly not innocent. I could start another whole thread just on that ...

Getting back to grace and love at the US Open Men's Tennis trophy presentation. When Daniil spoke, he talked about the first time he met the champion and now undisputed GOAT 10 years ago. Daniil was ranked about 1,000th in the world but Novak Djokovic, an unapologetic Christian, took time to speak with him and was so kind - as he always had been throughout the 10 years these Christian men knew each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've listened with great joy 23 times before when Novak Djokovic spoke after winning a Grand Slam tournament. Never had he spoken like this! Honor your mother and father. He talked about the sacrifices they made for him in the 1990's when his country of Serbia went through 2 wars. Us Americans have no idea how hard life can be. His parents, alive and in attendance cried as the memory of the horror and the power of his words hit home. Grace and love at the US Open, despite cancel culture. Hope you caught it. Praise God!

Man, I'm still a fan of old Roger Federer, can't believe he got replaced so quickly, no one would have guessed it.

Still. for me, no one had the elegance and grace of Federer's prime, and the way he shut his opponents down.

I'm glad if Novak has become more serious about his faith these days, that is a great to hear.

Man, I'm still a fan of old Roger Federer
Ha! I never liked Federer. My favorite player of all time is Pete Sampras. Will not forgive Federer for breaking Pete’s slam title record. But I am consoled by the fact Pete was OK with it.

When Federer broke his record, Pete was there at Wimbledon. Class act.

Roger was a class act. Tennis players usually are. I’m proud of the people who represent the sport.

Man, I'm still a fan of old Roger Federer, can't believe he got replaced so quickly, no one would have guessed it.

Still. for me, no one had the elegance and grace of Federer's prime, and the way he shut his opponents down.

I'm glad if Novak has become more serious about his faith these days, that is a great to hear.
I liked the Sampras and Agassi days and before them conners Macinroe and borg

Yeah I loved Sampras and Agassi, I just caught the tail end of their career but watched many of their old matches.

And a few J Mac and Borg, I was really into tennis for a few years.

I also liked Chrissy Everett :)

Margaret Court is a lovely soul, a deeply committed Christian that spoke at my old church.

Probably before both our times. :p

Back
Top Bottom