Difficult Decisions

Wrangler

Most threads here delve into the theory. Let's share the practice of making difficult decisions. One example is from the 9th episode of Band of Brothers I just watched entitled, "Why We Fight."

Easy company was out on patrol in enemy territory. In the woods the light heartedness of knowing the war was nearly over took a menacing turn when they heard something suspicious. Onward they walked, the scene played out very differently than what these battle hardened warriors experienced before.

A runner ran back to down to alert the XO what they found. It was indescribable to the runner. Beyond words. When he arrived at the scene of mostly barbed wire camp, gaunt men looking like zombies, the life drained from the unliving, wearing horizontal striped attire with a yellow star stitched. It was beyond words. The smell was unbearable. And he ordered his men to get food from town anyway they can and water.

As the starving walking corpses grabbed for the freshly baked bread, the CO arrived with the battalion doctor. He ordered the soldiers to stop feeding the starving immediately because they will eat themselves to death; they need to remain centralized where their intake of food can be monitored and at the concentration camp until other facilities could be found for them.

When this was communicated in German, the haunting look and sounds these spiritually destroyed images of God made sickened my soul. Imagine thinking you survived the Nazi death camp only for your liberators to tell you that you must stay? Difficult Decisions.

I'm 63.
I've been dealing with difficult choices for the past 6 decades. Granted, the ones in my youth were not fraught with as many consequences as they were from my late teens through to today.
Early on as a young believer, I was introduced to Proverbs 3:5-8.
I was also introduced to Proverbs 20:24-25.

Pro 3:5-8 WEB 5 Trust in Yahweh with all your heart, and don’t lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 7 Don’t be wise in your own eyes. Fear Yahweh, and depart from evil. 8 It will be health to your body, and nourishment to your bones.

Pro 20:24-25 WEB 24 A man’s steps are from Yahweh; how then can man understand his way? 25 It is a snare to a man to make a rash dedication, then later to consider his vows.

First, the decisions we make are important for a variety of reasons. One of which are the consequences for them.

We want to make the least destructive choices possible.

I put it that way because there are some things that no matter how hard we try to make the best possible choice... some type of damage occurs.

Thus, doing what Solomon said in Proverbs 3 ensures that we get the best possible choice.
Not a painless, not an easy, not a no-consequence result, but the best possible.

Now.... Proverbs 20...
This is equally important! At least.
Once you choose.... you begin to see the consequences play out. Sometimes, no matter how hard you work to ensure that it's actually the best way, fallout happens. And at times it's painful. You beg, plead, cajole, etc.... but it just goes sideways and it's tearing you, and others, to pieces.

Pro 20:24-25 WEB 24 A man’s steps are from Yahweh; how then can man understand his way? 25 It is a snare to a man to make a rash dedication, then later to consider his vows.

Once you choose, don't go back and start second guessing yourself. It'll make things 10 times worse.

Learning to make better choices, from the problems faced with the perceptibly bad choices is one thing...
Living in a state of constant self-doubt/questioning, and second guessing yourself.... it's an absolute nightmare!

Learn to live with the choices and continue to ask God for his wisdom and help.

He said he would help us.
Believe it! He will.

I need to add to my comments...
Psalm 37:5

Commit your way to the Lord. Trust also in him and he will bring it to pass.

1 Peter 5:7

Cast your cares upon the Lord, for he cares for you.

Phil. 4:6-9

There are plenty of sources that God says he will give us what we need to make the best possible decisions.

Back
Top Bottom