A knock on my door

civic

After our Saturday morning men’s group ( 5 of us ) met at my house around 9:30 I get a knock on my door as I was on our forum. I wasn’t going to answer it until my wife said in front of my 5 year old grandson go answer it and talk to them about Jesus. I was immediately convicted and it was a really nice young married couple.

They asked me about suffering in the world. So it was a nice conversation and getting to know them and vice versa. I said I like to keep things loose and enjoy open discussions and Q/A. I told them I’m available every Saturday morning after our Mens discipleship group if they want to come back and talk about the Bible. They said yes.

So I’m praying we have some good discussions. And most of all talk about the gospel and keep things Christ centered.

After our Saturday morning men’s group ( 5 of us ) met at my house around 9:30 I get a knock on my door as I was on our forum. I wasn’t going to answer it until my wife said in front of my 5 year old grandson go answer it and talk to them about Jesus. I was immediately convicted and it was a really nice young married couple.

They asked me about suffering in the world. So it was a nice conversation and getting to know them and vice versa. I said I like to keep things loose and enjoy open discussions and Q/A. I told them I’m available every Saturday morning after our Mens discipleship group if they want to come back and talk about the Bible. They said yes.

So I’m praying we have some good discussions. And most of all talk about the gospel and keep things Christ centered.
I'll be praying with you, that the holy spirit speaks thru you. Maybe you can get them to join the Forum after you tell him all about the trinity and the deity of Christ. The two main things they deny you are expert on. Be sure to keep us filled in.

I'll be praying with you, that the holy spirit speaks thru you. Maybe you can get them to join the Forum after you tell him all about the trinity and the deity of Christ. The two main things they deny you are expert on. Be sure to keep us filled in.
Thanks for the prayers

Just don't bash their heads in about how wrong they are.

Intrigue them with new verses and ideas they never thought about.

You draw more flies with honey than vinegar as they say.

Just don't bash their heads in about how wrong they are.

Intrigue them with new verses and ideas they never thought about.

You draw more flies with honey than vinegar as they say.
We had a great friendly conversation and let them know that’s my intention in all our future discussions. I told them about the golden rule here and diversity of different religious beliefs here.

We had a great friendly conversation and let them know that’s my intention in all our future discussions. I told them about the golden rule here and diversity of different religious beliefs here.
Seriously, If you bash their heads in you'll be doing prison ministry. They tack on more time for a hate crime, So stock up on honey:ROFLMAO:

Start by Asking them about John 1!
Their translation says “ the word was A God” ( ie one of several)
All other translations say “ the word was God”

So point out that the watchtower society manipulatesthe translation - they need to check out what they are told.

So point out that the watchtower society manipulatesthe translation - they need to check out what they are told.
Great advice !

I just tell them thanks but no thanks that I already know Jesus. I just try to be polite. I have a lot of Jesus stuff in my front yard and on the side of the house by the door so it's pretty obvious I'm a christian. And that I'm not going to fall for Jesus being the brother of Michael the Archangel or next time They come by i'll explain the trinity to them.

I just tell them thanks but no thanks that I already know Jesus. I just try to be polite. I have a lot of Jesus stuff in my front yard and on the side of the house by the door so it's pretty obvious I'm a christian. And that I'm not going to fall for Jesus being the brother of Michael the Archangel or next time They come by i'll explain the trinity to them.
The bible obliges you to at least comment on errors!
Take James 5:19-20
Do it in self interest - it "covers a multitude of (your own) sins!)

I just point out the watchtower society have even manipulated the bible to their own ends (in John 1) - so they should search further for the real truth. So the seed of doubt. Their John 1 denies a single God!

Which is sadly a trait starting with Tyndale ( the real reason RC condemned his translation which was nothing to do with language used, Bede had translated parts centuries before into local language without comment.) Fiddling with translation is sadly " a thing" which contines with fundamentals/ evangelicals messing with translations in the NIV to suit their a priori view of meaning!.

The bible obliges you to at least comment on errors!
Take James 5:19-20
Do it in self interest - it "covers a multitude of (your own) sins!)

I just point out the watchtower society have even manipulated the bible to their own ends (in John 1) - so they should search further for the real truth. So the seed of doubt. Their John 1 denies a single God!

Which is sadly a trait starting with Tyndale ( the real reason RC condemned his translation which was nothing to do with language used, Bede had translated parts centuries before into local language without comment.) Fiddling with translation is sadly " a thing" which contines with fundamentals/ evangelicals messing with translations in the NIV to suit their a priori view of meaning!.
Thanks for the advice I sincerely mean that. That's what I was looking for when I made the post. I'll be digging deeper into it so the next time they come by I should be able to respond correctly to them.

I found this just to get me started

Actually, the quote is "and the Word was a god."

There are a few other translations that do not use "God."

The error is by those trinitarian translations which, for obvious reasons, use "God" in John 1:1c.

Fifty some years ago I decided to study this scripture (and a number of other trinity "proofs") to be certain thar I choose the correct path.

I read a number of trinitarian pieces of evidence for the trinitarian view, and examined the JW's reasoning for theirs. Instead of just accepting what these sources said, I went further into the actual grammar of John. I found proof that John never used Colwell's Rule nor the "qualitative rule" in any of the nineteen truly parallel uses of John 1:1c. Instead, all such truly parallel uses were translated in trinitarian-translated Bibles as indefinite nouns ("a man," "a prophet," "a liar," etc.).

Here is my initial study: http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2010/04/john-11.html

In an attempt to make it shorter and easier, I redid it in two different studies:

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2009/09/john-11c-primer_21.html

And

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2013/02/seven-lessons-for-john-11c-a.html

Actually, the quote is "and the Word was a god."

There are a few other translations that do not use "God."

The error is by those trinitarian translations which, for obvious reasons, use "God" in John 1:1c.

Fifty some years ago I decided to study this scripture (and a number of other trinity "proofs") to be certain thar I choose the correct path.

I read a number of trinitarian pieces of evidence for the trinitarian view, and examined the JW's reasoning for theirs. Instead of just accepting what these sources said, I went further into the actual grammar of John. I found proof that John never used Colwell's Rule nor the "qualitative rule" in any of the nineteen truly parallel uses of John 1:1c. Instead, all such truly parallel uses were translated in trinitarian-translated Bibles as indefinite nouns ("a man," "a prophet," "a liar," etc.).

Here is my initial study: http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2010/04/john-11.html

In an attempt to make it shorter and easier, I redid it in two different studies:

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2009/09/john-11c-primer_21.html

And

http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com/2013/02/seven-lessons-for-john-11c-a.html

Sorry about the link to "my initial study." It's in the list found there - "The DEFinite John 1:1c."

Have they come back?

Doug

Back
Top Bottom