Why I hold to PSA.

Johann

Excursus: God is Both Just and the Justifier
This understanding of Isaiah 53 is not without difficulty or debate, for it raises a
question. How can one man pay the penalty for another? Or from a close reading of the Bible,
how can God ―justify the ungodly‖ (Rom. 4:5) when it says, ―He who justifies the wicked and he
who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the LORD‖ (Prov. 17:5)?

Today, the doctrine of the atonement is under fierce attack, and what is at stake is
nothing less than the gospel. For if this doctrine is lost, so is the good news of forgiveness and
eternal life.22

This is why understanding Isaiah 53, exegetically and theologically, is so
important. It details the great effects of the cross, and makes sense of God‘s plan of redemptive
history.23

Even if the doctrines of grace and justice seem at first to be at odds with one another,
as Scripture speaks, the purpose of the cross becomes more apparent. The message of Isaiah 53
is that Christ‘s cross is the place ―where wrath and mercy meet‖ and salvation is procured.24
John Piper‘s treatment of the theological quandary raised in Isaiah 53 is immensely
helpful and many of his arguments are included here.25
As he wrestles with the divine purpose in
the death of Christ, he begins to resolve matters in the Godhead by asking the question, ―Who

22 See Roger Nicole‘s short but powerful post script in The Glory of the Atonement (Downers Grove, IL:
InterVarsity Press, 2004), 445-52. In that brief summary, Nicole warns that rejection of penal substitution inevitably
makes the cross of Christ impotent. In his words, penal substitution is ―the linchpin without which everything else

loses its foundation and flies off the handle so to speak‖ (The Glory of the Atonement, 451).

23 For instance, the disciples on the road to Emmaus could not make sense of the Scriptures or the
events of Jesus‘ passion until Jesus explained to them all that the Scriptures said about him—his suffering and
exaltation (Luke 24).

24 This phrase is taken from a song by Graham Kendrick, entitled ‗Come and See,‘ as cited in a recent
book by the same name which makes an able defense of penal substitution. (David Peterson (ed.), Where Wrath &
Mercy Meet: Proclaiming the Atonement Today (Waynesboro, GA: Paternoster, 2001), xiv.
25 For a full treatment of this subject see John Piper, The Pleasures of God: Meditations on God’s
Delight in Being God (Sisters, OR: Multnomah, 2000), 157-178.
killed Jesus?‖26

Citing Isaiah 53:10, he answers that God did. ―The LORD was pleased to
bruise him.‖ Behind the senseless violence of wicked men stood the Father. It was according to
his ―definite plan and foreknowledge‖ that Jesus died as the suffering servant (Acts 2:23; cf.
4:27-28). This was done to put sin to death and to end its marring effect on the glory of God.27
Isaiah 42:8 and 48:11 attest to YHWH‘s commitment to his own glory. So too Isaiah
43:6-7 teaches that mankind was created for the glory of God. Yet, the world under Satan‘s
thralldom is imprisoned to sin and wars against God‘s glory. The devil deceived Adam and Eve
to sin in the beginning, and ever since mankind has been God‘s enemy (Rom. 5:8; Eph. 2:1-3).
―All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God‖ (Rom. 3:23). Sin is directly connected to
God‘s glory, and since God is committed to his glory and to the beings created in his image, he
sent his Son to undo the works of the devil and to redeem a people for his glory (1 Jn. 3:8; Tit.
2:14). Yet, the only way to do that is through the death of sin in the death of his son.28
Piper moves from God‘s glory to humanity‘s sin, contending that Jesus died to make a
―propitiation‖ for sins, whereby ―God averted his own wrath through the death of his Son.‖ 29

26 Ibid., 160.
27 Many contemporary formulations of a ―non-violent atonement‖ fail to recognize the gravity of sin.
Thomas Schreiner articulates this glaring deficit as he surveys other views of the atonement in his chapter, ―Penal
Substitution View‖ in The Nature of the Atonement edited by James Beilby and Paul Eddy [Downers Grove, IL:

InterVarsity Press, 2006], 67-98.

28 Thomas Schreiner‘s defense of penal substitution argues along these same lines (―Penal Substitution
View,‖ 67-98). Sin necessitates a penalty to be paid, and only through the payment of that penalty can any sinful
man or woman truly be legally freed from the debt they owe God. This is what is absent in all other models of the
atonement. None of them sufficiently handle the problem of sin. They either minimize it or shift attention to
something else. However, Scripture teaches that this humanity‘s biggest problem and therefore the central issue of
the cross.

29 Piper, The Pleasures of God, 163. Piper explains the necessary use of ―propitiation‖ as the proper
interpretation of hilasterion. He writes on the same page, ―This old word is important because other words like
―expiation‖ and ―sacrifice of atonement‖ do not press forward the idea of appeasing wrath which is in the word. The
point of the word is that God‘s wrath is against the ungodly because of the way they have desecrated his glory, and a
way must be found for this wrath to be averted. This is what happened in the death of Jesus. That is what

Often debated as a term originating in Greek mythology, Leon Morris contends that in the Bible
this notion of heathen propitiation is abandoned.30
Still questions of God‘s love and his demand
for a propitiation to satisfy his wrath abound.

John Murray‘s treatment addresses these issues:
1) to love and to be propitious are not controvertible terms [i.e. mutually exclusive]. It is
false to suppose that the doctrine…regards propitiation as that which causes or constrains
the divine love… 2) propitiation is not a turning of the wrath of God into love. The
propitiation of the divine wrath, effected in the expiatory work of Christ, is the provision of
God‘s eternal and unchangeable love…3) propitiation does not detract from the love and
mercy of God; it rather enhances the marvel of his love. For it shows the cost that
redemptive love entails…God appeases his own holy wrath in the cross of Christ in order
that the purpose of his love to lost men may be accomplished in accordance…his glory.31
Through the propitiation of God‘s wrath, the mercy of God makes payment to the
wrath of God,32 making a transaction that will once and for all clear Him of injustice and at the
same time bring an end to sin, Satan, and death.33

On the cross, God‘s wisdom is revealed (1
Cor. 1:18ff; Eph 3:10) and the tension of God‘s seething wrath and unfailing mercy are resolved.
As Paul says about Jesus in Romans 3:25-26,
whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to
show God‘s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sin.
It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier
of the one who has faith in Jesus.34

propitiation means: God averted his own wrath through the death of his Son (emphasis mine).‖
30 Leon Morris, The Apostolic Preaching of the Cross (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1965), 210-11.
31 John Murray, Redemption: Accomplished and Applied (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1955), 31-32.
32 John Stott captures the essence of this, ―The only way for God‘s holy love to be satisfied is for his
holiness to be directed in judgment upon his appointed substitute, in order that his love may be directed towards us
in forgiveness…Divine love triumphed over divine wrath by divine self-sacrifice. The cross was an act
simultaneously of punishment and amnesty, severity and grace, justice and mercy‖ (The Cross of Christ, 158-59).
33 Though it is out of the purview of this paper, this accomplishment must be understood in an already /
not yet fashion. While Christ‘s work has been completely fulfilled on the cross (John 19:30), the effects of that
propitiatory victory are still being worked out. Much like Nazi-occupied France between D-Day and V-Day, we live
in between the time when Jesus won the decisive victory on the cross and when he will return and reign on the earth.
34 For an excellent treatment of this passage which argues for the historic understanding of penal
substitution see D.A. Carson, ―Atonement in Romans 3:21-26: ‗God presented him as a propitiation,‘‖ in The Glory
of the Atonement, 119-139.
Some may ask, ―Couldn‘t God forgive humanity without such a payment?‖ However,
such a cheap forgiveness would militate against his veracity and justice. By forgiving without
payment, God‘s initial warning in Genesis 2:17 and mankind‘s rightful curse would only be vain
words from an inconstant God. This would invariably denigrate the value of God‘s glory. For if
sin impugns His name, and God merely excuses this kind of defiant behavior as accidental or
minimal, the great judge would display reprehensible justice as he dismisses sin without
concomitant justice.35
Instead, by the death of his son, God the Father upholds his justice while
extending forgiveness to all those for whom Christ died.36

Conversely, some question the love of God because of His commitment to his own
glory and the execution of his righteous judgment. Sadly, there are some, who with limited
human understanding, categorize God as a child abuser. Yet, it must be remembered that Jesus
gladly obeyed the Father and voluntarily laid down his life as a ransom (Mark 10:45; cf. John
10:11, 18). There is no evidence for a cosmic quarrel in the Godhead. To deny God‘s love
because of penal substitution is to fly in the face of biblical evidence. In the Bible, God‘s love is
not denied, but demonstrated, on the cross (Jn. 3:16; Rom. 5:8; 8:31-39; Gal. 2:20-21; 1 Jn.
4:10). ―[P]ropitiation is the fruit of the divine love that provided it…[it] is the ground upon
which the divine love operates the channel through which it flows in achieving its end.‖37
Piper‘s words illumine the significance and necessity of Christ‘s death. Reflecting on

35 It should be mentioned at this point, that God is not subservient to an external law forcing him to be
just. No, his own eternal and internal character is the enforcing agent. God must be just, because his nature is holy.
His holiness requires divine retribution against any sin that wars against him. For more on the relationship between
God and His law see Garry Williams, ―The Cross and the Punishment of Sin‖ in Where Wrath and Mercy Meet
(Waynesboro, GA: Paternoster, 2001), 81-98.
36 Stott expounds this proposition in his chapter, ―The Self-Substitution of God,‖ in John Stott, The
Cross of Christ, 133-63.
37 John Murray, Redemption: Accomplished and Applied, 32.

Please don't brand me as a heretic or espousing doctrines of demons.
Thanks
Johann

Why PSA is unbiblical

Within the study of the doctrine on PSA, the central O.T. passage it comes from is found in Isaiah 53. Let us look at how the N.T. quotes Isaiah 53 and see how the N.T. writers viewed the passages and used them in the N.T. and what language from Isaiah 53 they applied to Jesus in the N.T. regarding suffering.

In doing so, a few things stand out. There is no penal aspect/ language Isaiah used that is carried over in the N.T. but that of substitution. Isaiah 53:4- WE (not God) considered Him punished by God. The following NT passages quote Isaiah 53: Matthew 8:14-17; Mark 15:27-32; John 12:37-41; Luke 22:35-38; Acts 8:26-35; Romans 10:11-21; and 1 Peter 2:19-25. Not one of them uses any penal language where PSA gets its doctrine from.

At best PSA is a doctrine based upon an argument from silence in the New Testament.

The N.T. does not use the penal language that was developed during the Reformation in the dark ages as that was how that culture during that time had dealt with people in their judicial system punishing those who disagreed with them, torture and death were a result for many who went against their theology. That was the mentality of those who developed the doctrine we have today called the PSA atonement.

There are many aspects and theories of the atonement that contain truth, and no one theory is 100% correct. There are many different views and aspects to the atonement within orthodoxy. The N.T. writers' emphasis on the atonement is on the side of expiation rather than propitiation, which is only used twice in the epistle of 1 John.

Gods’ wrath is still future and will judge those who reject His Sons atonement for sin. Gods’ wrath was not poured out on the Son for sin otherwise there would be no future wrath from God because of sin. Jesus said: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The reason my Father loves Me is that I lay down My life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord” (John 10:11; 17-18). Or again, while speaking to the multitudes, Jesus declared: “Whatever the Father does the Son also does” (John 5:19). And Jesus said: “Now my heart is troubled. ‘Father, save me from this hour?’ No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” (John 12:27-28)

The clear picture that emerges from Scripture is that Jesus was not the unfortunate victim of the angry Father. Rather, the Father and the Son were working in concert through the cross to pay for the sins of humanity and make atonement. There is no division of will between the Father and the Son. Jesus’ atonement was done in love which provided covering and forgiveness of sins as He declared was a ransom.

And this view harmonizes with God’s wrath that is still yet to come and was not poured out on Jesus on the cross. Our loving God takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11). Our loving Father took pleasure to bruise His Son to reconcile us to God as an offering for our sins. (Isaiah 53:10).

It is by faith in the Son through the message of the gospel that saves and unbelief which condemns. The gospel is for all mankind, all the world, for everyone. God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:4). God is the Savior of all men, especially of believers (1 Timothy. 4:10), For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to everyone (Titus 2:11) For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all (Romans 11:32). The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9).

God sent His Son into the world to take away the sin of the world (John 1:29) and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:2). and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again (2 Corinthians 5:15). But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone. (Hebrews 2:9)

Amen and Amen
Praise God

hope this helps !!!

Why do the PSA advocates equate salvation with that theory only disregarding all the other atonement theories before that one which is the Johnny come lately to the scene ?

That would mean no one was saved until the invention of PSA which happened during the reformation period.

And if I can be so bold ( which I will be ) they are preaching/teaching another gospel, another jesus. Jesus never taught PSA or hinted at it and I started a thread on that very topic. And Paul completely left out wrath in the gospel which He said He received directly from Christ and said by this gospel you are saved below.

1 Corinthians 15:1-8
Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain. 3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

So here is the gospel as outlined by Paul which saves that one must believe.

1- Christ died for our sin
2-Christ was buried
3- Christ was raised from the dead on the 3rd day
4-Christ appeared to many individual people and groups over 40 days
5- Christ appeared to Paul years after His Ascension last of all

Galatians 1
Paul, an apost
le—sent not from men nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— 2 and all the brothers and sisters[a] with me,

To the churches in Galatia:

3 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

No Other Gospel​

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you to live in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let them be under God’s curse!

2 Corinthians 11:4
For if someone comes and proclaims a Jesus other than the One we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit than the One you received, or a different gospel than the one you accepted, you put up with it way too easily.

conclusion: don't let anyone persuade you of any other gospel than the one Paul said saves you in 1 Corinthians 15. And this includes adding anything on top of the plain and simple meaning that Jesus died for our sins. It also included those who would try and tell you Jesus is no longer a man, that He did not raise from the dead bodily. That is another jesus that Paul condemns in Galatians 1. Paul spent the entire 15th chapter of 1 Corinthians explaining the bodily Resurrection of Jesus which is also our hope.

hope this helps !!!

Purification for sin is in the blood of Christ in the Atonement

Matthew 26:26-29
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”
27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Hebrews 9:22
Because all things are purged by blood in The Written Law, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Leviticus 4:20,26,35
And he shall do with the bullock as he did with the bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them

Leviticus 6:7
And the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD: and it shall be forgiven him for any thing of all that he hath done in trespassing therein.

Leviticus 17:11
For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for your souls upon the altar; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.

Hebrews 9
Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. 2 A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. 3 Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, 4 which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. 5 Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now. 6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

The forgiveness of sins is found only in the blood of Christ- His life which He gave as a sacrifice for sin. That is the heart of the Atonement. It is what the New Covenant is found upon His blood, His life which was given for our sins. Forgiveness is only found in His blood that He gave His life on our behalf. That is how our sins are removed and taken away. That is what the Law required for sin was the blood of the animal sacrifice.

There is no "punishment" above anywhere. There is a sacrifice provided which covers and provides forgiveness of sins. The entire book of Hebrews is built upon the OT Law and how it is fulfilled in Christ.

Jesus said He gave His life as a Ransom. Strongs 3038- Lutron λύτρον. the purchasing money for manumitting slaves, a ransom, the price of ransoming; especially the sacrifice by which expiation is effected, an offering of expiation. Thayers: λύτρον, λύτρου, τό (λύω), the Sept. passim for כֹּפֶר, גְּאֻלָּה, פִּדְיון, etc.; the price for redeeming, ransom (paid for slaves, Leviticus 19:20; for captives, Isaiah 45:13; for the ransom of a life, Exodus 21:30; Numbers 35:31f): ἀντί πολλῶν, to liberate many from the misery and penalty of their sins, Matthew 20:28; Mark 10:45. (Pindar, Aeschylus, Xenophon, Plato, others.)

Matthew 20:28- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many

hope this helps !!!

Anselm of Canterbury proposed a substitutionary atonement model, albeit not a fully developed theory. According to Anselm's Cur Deus Homo, sin is not doing God's will, which then "steals" His honor. As a result, we are in debt to God, and we owe him back the honor we stole by sinning. His honor must be appeased. For Anselm, "because God is infinite, any wound to his honor caused by the sins of Man must also be infinite, and the only way infinite satisfaction for these sins can be granted on behalf of man is by the voluntary death of Jesus, who is both God and Man."

"If God is not paid the honor due Him, He is dishonored, having His honor taken from him. God's honor is stolen by through sin. However, as long as he does not repay what he has stolen, he remains guilty. But it is not enough for him merely to repay what has been stolen; rather, because of the wrong which has been inflicted, he ought to repay more than he has stolen. For example, if someone who injures another's health restores it, his doing so is insufficient payment unless he also gives some compensation for the painful wrong that was inflicted. Similarly, he who violates another's honor does not sufficiently repay this honor unless, in proportion to the injury caused by the dishonoring, he makes some restitution which is acceptable to the one whom he dishonored. We must also note that when someone repays what he has stolen, he ought to return that which could not be exacted from him had he not stolen what belonged to another. Accordingly, then, everyone who sins is obliged to repay to God the honor which he has stolen. This [repayment of stolen honor] constitutes the satisfaction which every sinner is obliged to make to God… To forgive sin in this manner is identical with not punishing it. Now, in the absence of satisfaction, to order sin rightly is only to punish it; therefore, if sin is not punished, something disordered is forgiven… Therefore, it is not fitting that God should forgive sin that goes thus unpunished." (Cur Deus Homo Chapter 11-12).
Punishment is a key concept to Anselm, but why? Anselm is often criticized for deriving his doctrine of salvation from Germanic tribal law. Anselm's idea of satisfaction draws from the idea that atonement for grievances must be made in Germanic clans. Within their framework, one person can stand in for another. So, in his mind, Anselm sees the need for someone to be punished for sin, which makes up his framework of Christ's death. I think it's important to note that in Anselm, there isn't the concept that the Father punished Christ; it wasn't the suffering of the divine wrath, but that God was satisfied by Christ's punishment. The Father doesn't punish Christ, and Christ bears no punishment. So we see in the 11th century a substitutionary atonement but not penal substitutionary atonement.

It's important to note that's over 1,000 years after Christ before we see the roots of PSA.

The Reformers, as we know, claimed they were recovering the truth of the Gospel to align their doctrine with the New Testament and the earliest Christians. Believing the Middle Ages had corrupted Christianity, the Reformers looked to redefine many of the doctrines of the Church. Luther goes so far as to say that Christ becomes the greatest and only sinner on earth while on the cross. Luther adopted parts of Anselm's ideas but with more of a dichotomy or conflict between the wrath of God and the love of God.

We see a very real development of penal substitutionary atonement theory in John Calvin. Calvin took Anselm's groundwork and expanded in an even more legalistic way. He applied his understanding of criminal law to the equation - man is a criminal and must be punished by God, who is angered by sin. The Son of God is sent to earth to bear the immense wrath of the God of all for us so that God may then be merciful. Calvin says things like "God, then, must of necessity look upon us in the person of His own Son, or else he is bound to hate us and abhor us," "For since by nature we are unclean, and utterly rejected and cursed by God," and talks about the "hatred between him and us." These concepts are foreign to the East and yet critical to penal substitutionary atonement.

The Early Church had no concept of God imputing the guilt of our sins to Christ, and he, in our place, bearing the punishment we deserve. Christ making payment for our sins, which satisfies God's wrath and righteousness so that He could forgive sinners without compromising his holiness, is a late addition to Christian thought.

One of the most well-known verses in the New Testament to my faith group growing up was Romans 3:23-26. It's part of the "Road to Romans" evangelism track. It's interesting to read it while contemplating penal atonement - nowhere does it say Christ is punished in our place (we'll tackle the word "propitiation" in just a minute). The same is true for the verses cited in favor of penal substitution - nowhere do they say Christ was a substitution, that the Father punished Christ, or that God's wrath had to be sated by Christ.

Because of the fall, our ability to remain in union with God was damaged.

Now I want to be clear here - I have not been discussing atonement in general, but the specific doctrine of penal atonement substitution - the idea that the Father unleashed His wrath on Christ on the cross to satisfy His need for blood for forgiveness. God needed someone his equal in rank to satisfy the breaking of the law for justice to be fulfilled. The Father pours out His wrath on Christ to satisfy the offenses against His Law since Adam. It is this that I find preposterous, not the idea that Christ does atone for us. I have to ask: why would a good, loving God have to take out His wrath on His creation?

Serious Issues with PSA​

Biblical Atonement
Old Testament sacrifices don't align with a penal substitution - the animals that were sacrificed were offered as an atonement, not to become a substitute and take punishment, but became sacred and were eaten. Let's look at the Passover lamb and Christ - we see a correlation throughout the New Testament of Christ to the Passover lamb of Exodus 12 (John 1:29, 1 Peter 1:19, Revelation 5, to name just a few). The Passover lamb wasn't a sacrifice of substitution for sin, but instead, it identified those in the homes with the blood marking the doorposts were part of the Chosen People. If the lamb had "become sin," it would have been unclean; the Israelites assuredly would not have eaten the lamb as they were instructed to do in Exodus 12:6. Instead, as Theodoret of Cyrus says of 2 Corinthians 5:21, when Christ became sin, “Christ was called what we are in order to call us to be what he is,” harkening to St. Athanasus’ incarnational theology from On the Incarnation.

The Early Church saw Christ as the Passover lamb, as we see in John 1:29, 1 Corinthians 5:7, Revelation 13:8, and the Book of Hebrews makes extensive references to Christ's sacrifice when speaking of His priesthood. Just as the Passover lamb becomes a meal, so does the crucified Christ in the Eucharist. The Passover lamb is sacrificed, and its blood marks the doorposts of Israel as, Fr. Stephen Freeman points out:

The lamb of Passover is slain and the doorposts of Israel marked with his blood to defeat the "destroyer," who kills the firstborn of Egypt. This destruction of Egypt (along with the drowning in the Red Sea) is all God's "getting glory" over Pharoah. It is the proper context for understanding Christ's description of His death as His glorification.
It's not just the Passover lamb that doesn't align with penal substitutionary atonement in the Old Testament, but the sin offerings as well. The sin offerings are implemented in Leviticus; the animals are sacrificed to atone for sin, not to die so that the person offering could live. The animal didn't have sin placed on it or become sin. The scapegoat, however, would symbolically bear the sins of the people, and it was sent out from the city, not sacrificed. The one-time sins are placed on the animal being offered; it isn't killed (see Leviticus 16:10).

Old Testament

PSA runs counter to the Scriptures. Death isn't a punishment but a consequence of Adam's sin. Genesis 2:17 doesn't say that God will kill Adam when he eats the fruit, that God'll punish him, but that he will die. It's a result of his action rather than a punishment inflicted by God. When humanity sinned, death came into the world. It wasn't God's punishment but a consequence.

To quote from Alexander Renault's book Rediscovering Tulip,

"To walk away from God (i.e., to sin) is by definition, death. Death is the realm of 'Not God.' Likewise, if I pull the plug on my own life support system, the result is death. No one else is killing me. If I jump off the roof, after being warned by my mother not to, and I end up breaking my leg, does that mean that my mother broke my leg? No, that was simply the result of my own choice. Christ gave Himself up to death. If death is an active punishment from God, then Christ was punished by His Father (per penal substitution). But if death is the result of sin, then it is an outside enemy and not God's own wrath."
Plus, Jeremiah 31:2-30, Ezekiel 18:20, and Deuteronomy 24:16 tell us that a person is put to death for his own sin and that the wickedness of the wicked is upon himself. That isn't the case in penal substitution.

Looking at the Law, a person who murdered couldn't sacrifice an animal to atone for it. He must pay. It's also important to note that verses like Deuteronomy 24:16, 2 Kings 14:6, 2 Chronicles/4 Kings 25:4, and Ezekiel 18:19-20 make a strong case against the idea of substitutionary punishments.

God's Wrath and Unconditional Love

PSA removes unconditional love from God and God doesn't actually forgive. God can't love us unless He has an outlet for his wrath. Again from Renault, "His "self-giving" love is only made possible by His "self-satisfying" justice." If His love is conditional on his wrath being appeased, God also doesn't forgive us - unlike the parable of the servant forgiven his debt or the prodigal son, God doesn't welcome us back or forgive us, but instead requires someone else to pay the debt, contrary to how Christ explains the love of the Father for us. Plus, the Father is changed - He is angry with us, Christ bares his wrath, and now He loves us like he loves Christ - we aren't forgiven, God is merely appeased!

PSA also renders Christ's sacrifice imperfect. God's wrath remains, but only on some. Christ's sacrifice for all of humanity is contingent. God is only appeased for some, not all. This is remedied in Calvinism by the belief that God foreknew his elect and sent Christ to pay for their sins.

The Nature of Salvation & Redemption

We have the question of what exactly is meant by salvation. In the Bible, salvation is so much more than avoiding eternal punishment like liberation from bondage (Exodus 14:30, 15:2, Psalms 106:21), return from exile (Isaiah 45:17), and rescue from danger (Psalms 27:1, 51:12, 65:5, 69:2).

Penal substitution belittles salvation to merely a transactional event on the cross, a legal barter made by Jesus for us, not a transformational redemption and largely ignores the resurrection. Sin is still a part of our lives, but we are no longer defined by it, but by grace and love (Romans 6). Instead, we are transformed by Christ's death and resurrection. Sin is still a part of our lives and our world, but we are no longer defined by it, but by grace (Romans 6). We are now agents of God's Kingdom, here and now, not some distant faraway concept (1 Corinthians 13:12).

Division of the Trinity

This becomes problematic in the light of the Trinity when we look at Christ on the cross. The Father pours out his wrath on the Son. The Father has wrath, and for his need for justice, so He must punish. The Son, on the cross, asks for forgiveness, making a conflict in the divine will - punishment versus forgiveness. Taking it to the furthest logical conclusion puts the Son and the Father at odds, creating a divide within the indivisible Trinity. It also calls to question Christ's place in the Godhead. Shouldn't Christ's holiness also be offended? Why would the Father need appeasement and not Christ or the Holy Spirit?

And if God the Father is truly punishing Christ, that is also sowing very real division within the Trinity. If the Father inflicts torture on the Son, how can the perfect love and unity of the Trinity survive?

A Personal View

I am an imperfect human. I am an imperfect father. I have imperfect love. Yet I can say without question that I do not need to see my daughter forced to suffer to forgive her. I don't need her to be punished. I don't need anyone else to either. When she makes a poor choice and disobeys me, I don't become wrathful against her and need to see her punished to be willing to forgive her, much less to love her again. If, in my imperfect love, I don't become overwhelmed by wrath and anger, demanding justice, how can I view God, who is beyond love, in that light?

What About Isaiah 53?​

Isaiah 53 is a paramount prophecy to defenders of penal substitutionary theory, yet it is often taken out of context. A bold claim, I know, but hear me out. Nowhere in Isaiah does it say that the Father is punishing Christ. Actually, verse 4 says that despite the fact he bears our griefs and sorrows, "yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted." Let's reword that - humanity's perception is that He is afflicted by God, not that God has smitten Him. Another key passage is verse 5, which tells us "by His stripes we are healed," not "by His stripes the Father is appeased." Let's look at a literal translation from the Septuagint:

"The one our sins bore and on account of us he was grieved. And we considered him to be a misery, and for calamity by God, and for ill-treatment. But he was wounded because of our sins and was made infirm on account of our lawless deeds." One should read Isaiah as a prophecy of Christ's healing work, viewing Christ's work as more encompassing than the narrow focus PSA allocates it to.

So What's the Alternative?​

The Greek word translated to "atonement" in the Bible is "hilasterion "(ιλαστηριον). In Romans 3:23-25 we read "…for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation (ιλαστηριον) by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness because, in his divine forbearance, he had passed over former sins." The word here is a Greek word, so a literal translation can be tricky. One translation propitiation, which implies an act of appeasing or making God happy to either gain favor or avoid retribution.

As Eric Hyde argues, "If one chooses to interpret hilasterion as propitiation (literally: "to make favorable," with the implication of placating or appeasing the deity), then the entire Western notion of substitutionary atonement fits well." But, if one uses the word expiation, which implies a cleansing and removing of sin, this fits less into the penal substitutionary atonement model. This turns the death and resurrection of Christ around - no longer is Christ trying to appease an angry God the Father who has wrath that must be satisfied; instead, Christ is lovingly redeeming and restoring humanity. Let's also consider that hilasterion is used in the Septuagint to mean the "mercy seat" or "thing that atones." It also appears again in Hebrews 9:5 as the mercy seat. Given that context to hilasterion, it makes more sense that Christ's self-sacrifice was an act to remove our sins instead of an act to appease or pacify an angry Father, so He can forgive.

We know that death entered the world through sin and is something that every living thing on earth is subject to. In Christ's Incarnation, He reunited God and man in a way that only the Eternal Logos, being fully God and taking on humanity. Through His death, Christ defeated our enemy, death, and restored the human race (2 Timothy 1:10 and 1 Corinthians 15:55-57). We share in Christ's death and resurrection (Romans 6:8-14; 7:6) and, through Christ's atonement, we've been made clean and freed from sin (Ephesians 1:7; John 1:7), reuniting us to God and making us partakers of the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4).

Because of sins, we were held captive; the righteous dead were filing into hades. Christ came to set them free. Jesus had to go into the realm of death - that meant becoming a human, entering the world through a woman, living an earthly life, and then allowing himself to be killed. We see him on the cross, not like he's writhing in agony, but looking more like a hero. He maintains a heroic status in Orthodoxy; we look upon him as our Redeemer, Savior, Deliverer, who, with His boldness, power, and compassion, suffered, and died, and went into hades in order to set us free. The image of the resurrection looks different than European art. In our iconography, Christ is standing on the broken gates of hell, lifting Adam and Eve out of hades.

Hebrews 2:14-15 tells us "that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the Devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage. "

Christ's work is redemptive. Christ's sacrifice was restorative. Christ brings God to man, as only one who is God and man can, bridging the gap, conquering death, and restoring us to life. This is the good news in the Scriptures. This is what has been taught by the Church since Pentecost.https://misfitstheology.com/penal-substitutionary-atonement-theory-a-sad-substitute/

hope this helps !!!

Excursus: God is Both Just and the Justifier
This understanding of Isaiah 53 is not without difficulty or debate, for it raises a
question. How can one man pay the penalty for another? Or from a close reading of the Bible,
how can God ―justify the ungodly‖ (Rom. 4:5) when it says, ―He who justifies the wicked and he
who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the LORD‖ (Prov. 17:5)?
Um that would be Proverbs 17:15

Proverbs 17:15 (KJV 1900) — 15 He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just, Even they both are abomination to the LORD.

Back
Top Bottom