Tap into God's Power In Your Daily Life

Lily

The Weapon of the Word

If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples. And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.
JOHN 8:31–32

Two spiritual weapons available to you are praise and prayer. Praise and prayer should both be filled with the Word of God.

Jesus used the weapon of the Word in the wilderness to defeat the devil.
THEN JESUS, full of and controlled by the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led in [by] the [Holy] Spirit
2 For (during) forty days in the wilderness (desert), where He was tempted (tried, tested exceedingly) by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they were completed, He was hungry. [Deut. 9:9; I Kings 19:8.]

3 Then the devil said to Him, If You are the Son of God, order this stone to turn into a loaf [of bread].
4 And Jesus replied to him, It is written, Man shall not live and be sustained by (on) bread alone but by every word and expression of God. [Deut. 8:3.]
5 Then the devil took Him up to a high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the habitable world in a moment of time [in the twinkling of an eye].

6 And he said to Him, To You I will give all this power and authority and their glory (all their magnificence, excellence, preeminence, dignity, and grace), for it has been turned over to me, and I give it to whomever I will.

7 Therefore if You will do homage to and worship me [just once], it shall all be Yours.
8 And Jesus replied to him, Get behind Me, Satan! It is written, You shall do homage to and worship the Lord your God, and Him only shall you serve. [Deut. 6:13; 10:20.]

9 Then he took Him to Jerusalem and set Him on a gable of the temple, and said to Him, If You are the Son of God, cast Yourself down from here;
10 For it is written, He will give His angels charge over you to guard and watch over you closely and carefully;
11 And on their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone. [Ps. 91:11, 12.]

12 And Jesus replied to him, [The Scripture] says, You shall not tempt (try, test exceedingly) the Lord your God. [Deut. 6:16.]
13 And when the devil had ended every [the complete cycle of] temptation, he [temporarily] left Him [that is, stood off from Him] until another more opportune and favorable time.
Luke 4:1–13

Each time the devil lied to Him, Jesus responded with, “It is written,” and quoted the Word. Likewise, you can use the Word to tear down the strongholds in your mind and defeat the devil.

Learn to fill your prayers and praise with the Word of God by abiding (staying, continuing) in God’s Word. Pray, speak, sing, and study the Word, and you will experience victory in all areas of your life.

Power Thought: I have the ability to know the Truth, and the Truth will set me free.

Power Thoughts Devotional: 365 Daily Inspirations for Winning the Battle of the Mind

Praying in His Name

I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.
JOHN 16:23–24 NIV

When our youngest son was still in school, sometimes people stayed with him when Dave and I traveled. In order for them to get medical treatment for him if it was ever needed, we had to sign a legal document stating they had the right to use our names on our son’s behalf—literally to make decisions in our place.

This is exactly what Jesus did for His disciples and, ultimately, for all who would believe in Him—He gave us the right to use His name when we go to God in prayer. When we pray in His name, it is the same as if He were praying. This privilege seems almost too wonderful to believe! But we can believe it because we have Scripture to back it up.

Power Thought: I have the privilege and power of praying in Jesus’ name.

Joyce Meyer, Power Thoughts Devotional: 365 Daily Inspirations for Winning the Battle of the Mind

Think Yourself Happy

[And it is, indeed, a source of immense profit, for] godliness accompanied with contentment (that contentment which is a sense of inward sufficiency) is great and abundant gain.
1 TIMOTHY 6:6

If I am discontent, I get upset easily, but if I choose to be content no matter what is going on, then my emotions remain balanced. Our thoughts have a lot to do with our moods. Some thoughts improve our moods and increase our level of contentment, and others send our moods spiraling downward, making us unhappy and discontent. We can think ourselves happy, and we can think ourselves sad!

How we talk to ourselves also affects our emotions, so if we talk to ourselves properly, we can stay content and emotionally stable.

Trusting God at all times is the pathway to contentment. Even if we don’t have all that we want, we can trust God that He will provide what is right for us in His perfect timing.

Power Thought: God is all-sufficient. When I seek Him, I find contentment.

Joyce Meyer, Power Thoughts Devotional: 365 Daily Inspirations for Winning the Battle of the Mind

Put On Love

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
COLOSSIANS 3:12–14

We are created to receive and give love. If we do anything else, it is like wearing clothes that are too small for us—it’s uncomfortable and steals our joy!

God tells us in His Word to put on love. I believe the phrase “put on” means to do it on purpose. We are to clothe ourselves as representatives of God, Who is love (1 John 4:8; 2 Corinthians 5:20). We are instructed to put on behavior that is marked by mercy, compassion, kind feelings, gentle ways, and patience, which is tireless and long-suffering. We are challenged to be people who endure whatever comes with good temper and to readily pardon one another. Stop wearing things that don’t fit, things that make you uncomfortable, and put on love!

Power Thought: When I love people, I represent God.

Speak Excellent Things

Hear, for I will speak excellent and princely things; and the opening of my lips shall be for right things.
PROVERBS 8:6

In this Scripture, Solomon made a decision about how he would talk, and we should do the same thing. Just as we can direct our thoughts, we can also direct our words with God’s help. We should choose to speak excellent things.

Our words affect us and the people around us. They also affect what God is able to do for us. You cannot have a negative mouth and a positive life. In 1 Peter 3:10, the apostle Peter teaches us that if we want to enjoy life and see good days—even in the midst of trials—we must keep our tongues free from evil.

What kind of life do you want? Do you want an excellent life? If so, then you must be excellent in your choice of words. Change your words, and you will change your life!

Power Thought: I choose to speak of worthy, important, noble, and excellent things.

Power Thoughts Devotional: 365 Daily Inspirations for Winning the Battle of the Mind

God Tests Our Minds

Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the just; for the righteous God tests the hearts and minds.
PSALM 7:9

We test-drive a new car we are considering buying or other products we find in the store. When we do, we might ask some of the following questions: Is the item of good quality and character? Will it sustain everyday wear and tear? Are there any hidden flaws, imperfections, or defects? And if you find an imperfection in your product, you might decide not to make the purchase, ask for a discount, or see if it can be fixed before you buy it.

In the same way, God tries our thinking (see Revelation 2:23) to see if there are any defects in our minds so He can make us into a quality “product”—a person of character He can trust. The test comes as we face pressure, and if we stand firm in the truth we say we believe, then we pass the test; if we don’t, we get to take the test over again. God will never give up on us.

Power Thought: The Lord will test my mind and heart, and I welcome His correction.

Seek Treasures Above

If then you have been raised with Christ [to a new life, thus sharing His resurrection from the dead], aim at and seek the [rich, eternal treasures] that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
COLOSSIANS 3:1

The Bible never tells us to seek things. It tells us to seek (pursue, crave) the kingdom of God (see Matthew 6:33) and “the [rich, eternal treasures] that are above.”

Colossians 3:2 says in order to seek the right thing you must “set your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth.” To keep your mind on things above doesn’t mean to sit around all the time thinking about the pearly gates and your mansion in heaven. It means to learn to think with the mind of the Spirit. Even if you are born again, you are not going to experience the abundant life you can have in Christ unless you set your mind to pursue higher things.

Don’t think about your problems today. Instead, think about the good plan that God has for your life and expect something good to happen.

Power Thought: I purposefully set my mind to pursue higher things.

The Measure You Give

Be careful what you are hearing. The measure [of thought and study] you give [to the truth you hear] will be the measure [of virtue and knowledge] that comes back to you—and more [besides] will be given to you who hear.
MARK 4:24

Reading or hearing the Word is good, but when we also devote our thoughts to it, we begin to understand it more deeply. The Word of God is filled with power, and it has the ability to change us. Just as good, nutritious food must be chewed well and swallowed for us to benefit from it, the Word of God must be digested and become part of us. Choose a Scripture and meditate on it all throughout the day, and it will get rooted in your heart and be more meaningful to you.

Power Thought: The more thought and study I devote to the Word, the more I will get out of it.

Gifts from Heaven

John answered, A man can receive nothing [he can claim nothing, he can take unto himself nothing] except as it has been granted to him from heaven. [A man must be content to receive the gift which is given him from heaven; there is no other source.]
JOHN 3:27

John the Baptist came to tell people to “prepare the way of the Lord” (John 1:23). That was his purpose on Earth, and he knew it. But John’s disciples were trying to create jealousy in John over Jesus’ ministry. They said, “Here He is baptizing too, and everybody is flocking to Him!” (John 3:26).

John responded to them by basically saying, “If He is doing that, then God has anointed Him to do it, and it’s His time to do it. And if my time’s up, then my time’s up!” God doesn’t want you to be jealous of the gifts He has given others. He wants you to be content and enjoy the gifts He has given you.

Power Thought: I am content with the gifts that have been given to me from heaven.​

Be a True Worshipper

A time will come, however, indeed it is already here, when the true (genuine) worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and in truth (reality); for the Father is seeking just such people as these as His worshipers.
JOHN 4:23

Worship is so much more than singing songs. It is a condition of the heart and a state of mind. Our worship for God is born in our hearts, it fills our thoughts, and it is expressed through our mouths and through our actions. Worship is about a personal relationship, spiritual intimacy, and passionate expressions of devotion from people who love God with all their hearts.

The Bible says God is seeking those who worship Him in spirit and in truth. He wants us to worship Him in all that we do out of our sincerely devoted hearts. He does not want to be worshipped out of fear, obligation, or religion; true worship is never the result of mere obligation, but a result of intimacy with God.

Power Thought: I worship God in spirit and in truth.​

Do What the Crisis Demands

Therefore put on God’s complete armor, that you may be able to resist and stand your ground on the evil day [of danger], and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place].
EPHESIANS 6:13

When you are in a difficult situation, do what you know to do, but don’t feel pressured to take action if you have no direction from God. Ask God to open your mind to new ways of doing and seeing things. If He shows you something, then do it, and if He doesn’t, then remain peaceful and trust that He will work for you and do what you cannot do.

Think and speak, “It is not shameful to not know what to do, nor should I feel pressured that I must ‘do something.’ ” Nobody has all the answers, all the time, except God. Stay peaceful and stand firmly in Christ, trusting Him to guide you.

Power Thought: I remain peaceful in all situations and trust God for guidance.

Thankful in the Midst of Suffering

Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will].
1 THESSALONIANS 5:18

The Bible encourages us to always be thankful. That’s easy when God answers prayers and delivers us from problems, but it isn’t always easy when things go wrong. So how can we remain thankful in the midst of suffering?

We can remember other times when God has delivered us from problems and trust Him to do the same thing again. We can also rejoice over things that are not wrong in our lives. We are all very blessed, and it is easy to be thankful when we remember our blessings.
We can be thankful to God in obedience to Him. We don’t have to wait to feel thankful in order to give thanks. Do it by faith and you will not only see God’s deliverance, but you will be happier while you wait.

Power Thought: I give thanks to God at all times.

Back
Top Bottom