Sin is Lawlessness

Unmerited

The Bible tells us, “Sin is lawlessness” 1 John 3:4

That all sin, even sin that seems so minor in our eyes, it is still lawlessness. It is not just the breaking of a single command; it is a complete disregard for the Law of God, a deliberate rejection of His moral will in favor of fulfilling our own desires.

The Bible does not make a distinction between little and big sins. Rather, it simply says sin—all sin without distinction—is lawlessness.

The Greek word for sin originally meant to “miss the mark”—to miss the center of the target. Therefore, sin was considered a miscalculation or failure to achieve. There is some truth in that idea even today, as when a person is genuinely repentant over some sinful behavior and is earnestly seeking to overcome it but still fails frequently. He wants to hit the bull’s-eye every time but can’t seem to pull it off.

Paul explains it like this:

“How shall we who died to sin still live in it?”

In Romans 7:25 he says that with his flesh he is serving (the word means, “to serve as a slave”) the law of sin.

In Romans 6:6, he says that we were crucified with Christ so that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin.

In Romans 7:24 he says, “Who will set me free from the body of this death?”

In Romans 7:18 Paul says, “For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh.” How could a man indwelled by the Holy Spirit say such a thing?

In Romans 7:23 he adds that he is “a prisoner of the law of sin.”

And how could a believer who has already been redeemed by Christ cry out “Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of thisdeath?Romans7:24

Because we still struggle with sin and we are still living in a sin filled world. That's why Jesus washed the feet of the Apostles. Peter wanted to be washed all over his body of Jesus said he already washed him that only feet needed washing.

Usually, however, our sinful actions stem not from Being in the world but rather from an inner urge to fulfill our own desires. As James wrote, “Each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire” James 1:14

We gossip or lust because of the sinful pleasure we get out of it. At that time, the lure of that momentary pleasure is stronger than our desire to please God. And we fall right into soon.

We have to stay in the light as He is in the light. We need to abide in Him.

Back
Top Bottom