Love God With All Your Soul

Theophilus

Exactly what is our soul? Here's a definition from my Study Bible that I like, but I would like to hear what the other members here at BAM have to say on the topic.

SOUL—a word with two distinct meanings in the Bible:

1. That which makes a human body alive. The word used in the New Testament for soul occurs in reference to “life,” for example, in Mark 8:35–36: “For whoever desires to save his life [soul] will lose it,” Jesus declared, “but whoever loses his life [soul] for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?” The same idea—regarding physical life—is also present in the Old Testament. For example, the soul of a dying person departed at death (Gen. 35:18). The prophet Elijah brought a child back to life by stretching himself upon the child three times and praying that God would let the child’s soul come back into him (1 Kin. 17:19–23).

2. Foremost, however, is the use of the word soul as it refers to the inner life of man, the seat of his emotions, and the center of human personality. The first use of the word soul in the Old Testament expresses this meaning: “And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being (soul)” (Gen. 2:7). This means more than being given physical life, but the statement that man became a “living soul” indicates his uniqueness as a fully conscious, coherent, responsible, moral being with a capacity for a spiritual relationship with God.

The soul is described as the seat of many emotions and desires: the desire for food (Deut. 12:20–21), love (Song 1:7), longing for God (Ps. 63:1), rejoicing (Ps. 86:4), knowing (Ps. 139:14), and memory (Lam. 3:20).

In the New Testament, Jesus spoke of his soul as being “exceedingly sorrowful” (Matt. 26:38). Mary, the mother of Jesus, proclaimed that her soul “magnifies the Lord” (Luke 1:46). John prayed that a believer would “prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers” (3 John 2).
The chart below may help describe the distinction between the soul and spirit (Heb. 4:12).

soul.jpg

It’s taken me a lifetime to wrap my head around this one, and I’m still learning. But I’ve discovered that nothing can satisfy me or calm my spirit if God isn’t at my soul’s center. If I’ve packed my life so full of work, golf, friends, travel, entertainment, mystery novels, and social media that every waking moment something is vying for my attention, then my soul suffers.

Proverbs 17:22​

A joyful soul makes a lifetime flourish. A gloomy spirit dries out the bones.

“Man does not have a soul. He is a soul. He has a body.” ~C. S. Lewis
Our soul makes our human body alive.

The word used in the New Testament for soul occurs in reference to “life”.

“For whoever desires to save his life "soul" will lose it,” Jesus declared, “but whoever loses his life "soul" for My sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?”
Mark 8:35–36

What does it mean to love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength?​

“Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength” (Deuteronomy 6:4–5). This is known as the Shema, taken from the first word “hear” in Hebrew. Modern Jews consider the recital of the Shema both evening and morning to be one of their most sacred duties. It was cited by Jesus as the “greatest commandment in the Law” (Matthew 22:36–37).

This command seems to be impossible to obey. That’s because, in the natural state of man, it is impossible. There is no greater evidence of the inability of man to obey God’s Law than this one commandment. No human being with a fallen nature can possibly love God with all his heart, soul, and strength 24 hours a day. It’s humanly impossible. But to disobey any commandment of God is sin. Therefore, even without considering the sins we commit daily, we are all condemned by our inability to fulfill this one commandment. This is the reason Jesus continually reminded the Pharisees of their inability to keep the Law of God. He was trying to get them to see their utter spiritual bankruptcy and their need for a Savior. Without the cleansing of sin that He provides, and the empowering presence of the Holy Spirit who lives in the hearts of the redeemed, loving God to any degree is impossible.

But, as Christians, we have been cleansed from sin and we do have the Spirit. So how do we begin to love God the way we should? Just as the man in Mark 9:24 asked God to help his unbelief, so too we can ask God to help us in areas where we don’t love Him with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. It is His power that we need to do the impossible, and we begin by seeking and appropriating that power.

In most cases, our love and affection for God grows more intense as time goes by. Certainly, young Christians newly saved are very much aware of the love of God and their love for Him. But it is through the witness of God’s faithfulness during times of struggle and trial that a deep love for God grows and grows. Over time, we witness His compassion, mercy, grace, and love for us, as well as His hatred for sin, His holiness, and His righteousness. We cannot love someone we don’t know, so knowing Him should be our first priority. Those who pursue God and His righteousness, who take seriously the command to love Him above all else, are those who are consumed with the things of God. They are eager to study God’s Word, eager to pray, eager to obey and honor God in all things, and eager to share Jesus Christ with others. It is through these spiritual disciplines that the love for God grows and matures to the glory of God. from Got?

We worship a loving God. And we love Him because he first loved us. No word in our “feel good” culture is bandied about with as little precision as “love.” We love fast cars, night baseball, and apple pie. But we would likely not die for any of them. Yet that is the quality and character of the love of God: a love that is selfless and sacrificial. Oh if we can only love like He does. Think in heaven we will as our transformation into his image will be complete.

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:37-40

That is our goal.

IMO, our soul is our being.
Who we are after, we are born naturally from our mother's wombs.
It is our core, and as we grow we build upon it, either good or evil, righteousness or unrighteousness, salvation or death.( John 3)

Our spirit is the breath of life we receive as Adam did when God breathed into him the breath of life and he became a living soul.( Gen.2:7) Every animal has a spirit if they live and breath air. The Spirit or breath of life in man returns to God who gave it but in animals it goes down into the earth.( Ecc 12:7)

I have heard many claim the spirit that returns to God puts us in his presence immediately but I disagree; it is our soul that will stand before the throne in judgement.( Matt.10:28)

However there is a spirit in man given of God that gives him inspiration of understanding of the knowledge of God.( Job 32:8) We are in need of a saviour from the wages of our sin, death and that comes only by the sweet Holy Spirit of God. (John 16:5-15) People perish bc they lack the knowledge of God & his great love. Our purpose is to love God with all our being, love fallen man & love the brethren of faith !

Now there are unbelievers that are philanthropic and care about humanity and do good to further the sustainability of life among man. Kudos to them.

However, there is life beyond this existence on earth and this is what God wants us to share with our loving him; to address the beyond! That takes the Spirit of God within us, letting him love through us. Denying our fleshly selves, sold out to eternity, for the reward of eternal life, and helping others to receive it also ! (Matt.16:24-26)

Mark. 8:
34 And calling the multitude together with his disciples, he said to them: If any man will follow me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

IMO, our soul is our being.
Who we are after, we are born naturally from our mother's wombs.
It is our core, and as we grow we build upon it, either good or evil, righteousness or unrighteousness, salvation or death.( John 3)

Our spirit is the breath of life we receive as Adam did when God breathed into him the breath of life and he became a living soul.( Gen.2:7) Every animal has a spirit if they live and breath air. The Spirit or breath of life in man returns to God who gave it but in animals it goes down into the earth.( Ecc 12:7)

I have heard many claim the spirit that returns to God puts us in his presence immediately but I disagree; it is our soul that will stand before the throne in judgement.( Matt.10:28)

However there is a spirit in man given of God that gives him inspiration of understanding of the knowledge of God.( Job 32:8) We are in need of a saviour from the wages of our sin, death and that comes only by the sweet Holy Spirit of God. (John 16:5-15) People perish bc they lack the knowledge of God & his great love. Our purpose is to love God with all our being, love fallen man & love the brethren of faith !

Now there are unbelievers that are philanthropic and care about humanity and do good to further the sustainability of life among man. Kudos to them.

However, there is life beyond this existence on earth and this is what God wants us to share with our loving him; to address the beyond! That takes the Spirit of God within us, letting him love through us. Denying our fleshly selves, sold out to eternity, for the reward of eternal life, and helping others to receive it also ! (Matt.16:24-26)

Mark. 8:
34 And calling the multitude together with his disciples, he said to them: If any man will follow me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Sounds good to me

Back
Top Bottom