Jesus, Peter and Phileo Love

civic

5368 philéō (from 5384 /phílos, "affectionate friendship") – properly, to show warm affection in intimate friendship, characterized by tender, heartfelt consideration and kinship.

So below would be accurate :

Jesus: "Peter, do you love Me?"
Peter: "Yes Lord, you know that I love you."

Peter: "Yes Lord, you know that I have intimate friendship, heartfelt affection for you."

Peter: "Yes Lord, you know that I have intimate friendship, heartfelt affection for you."."

Here is the amplified bible and youngs literal which conveys the meaning.

Amplified Bible
He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me [with a deep, personal affection for Me, as for a close friend]?” Peter was grieved that He asked him the third time, “Do you [really] love Me [with a deep, personal affection, as for a close friend]?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know everything; You know that I love You [with a deep, personal affection, as for a close friend].” Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep.

Young's Literal Translation
He saith to him the third time, 'Simon, son of Jonas, dost thou dearly love me?' Peter was grieved that he said to him the third time, 'Dost thou dearly love me?' and he said to him, 'Lord, thou hast known all things; thou dost know that I dearly love thee.' Jesus saith to him, 'Feed my sheep;

John 5:20 V-PIA-3S
GRK: γὰρ πατὴρ φιλεῖ τὸν υἱὸν
NAS: For the Father loves the Son,
KJV: For the Father loveth the Son, and
INT: indeed [the] Father loves the Son

John 11:3 V-PIA-2S
GRK: ἴδε ὃν φιλεῖς ἀσθενεῖ
NAS: behold, he whom You love is sick.
KJV: behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
INT: Behold he whom you love is sick

John 11:36 V-IIA-3S
GRK: Ἴδε πῶς ἐφίλει αὐτόν
NAS: See how He loved him!
KJV: Behold how he loved him!
INT: Behold how he loved him

John 12:25 V-PPA-NMS
GRK:φιλῶν τὴν ψυχὴν
NAS: He who loves his life loses
KJV: He that loveth his life
INT: He that loves the life

John 15:19 V-IIA-3S
GRK: τὸ ἴδιον ἐφίλει ὅτι δὲ
NAS: the world would love its own;
KJV: the world would love his own: but
INT: the own loved because moreover

John 16:27 V-PIA-3S
GRK: ὁ πατὴρ φιλεῖ ὑμᾶς ὅτι
NAS: Himself loves you, because
KJV: the Father himself loveth you, because
INT: the Father loves you because

John 16:27 V-RIA-2P
GRK: ὑμεῖς ἐμὲ πεφιλήκατε καὶ πεπιστεύκατε
NAS: you, because you have loved Me and have believed
KJV: because ye have loved me, and
INT: you me have loved and have believed

John 20:2 V-IIA-3S
GRK: μαθητὴν ὃν ἐφίλει ὁ Ἰησοῦς
NAS: Jesus loved, and said
KJV: whom Jesus loved, and saith
INT: disciple whom loved Jesus

1 Corinthians 16:22 V-PIA-3S
GRK: τις οὐ φιλεῖ τὸν κύριον
NAS: anyone does not love the Lord,
KJV: If any man love not the Lord
INT: anyone not love the Lord

Titus 3:15 V-PPA-AMP
GRK: Ἄσπασαι τοὺς φιλοῦντας ἡμᾶς ἐν
NAS: those who love us in [the] faith.
KJV: thee. Greet them that love us in
INT: greet those who love us in

Revelation 3:19 V-PSA-1S
GRK: ὅσους ἐὰν φιλῶ ἐλέγχω καὶ
NAS: Those whom I love, I reprove
KJV: As many as I love, I rebuke
INT: as many as if I love I rebuke and

hope this helps !!!

Herbert William Magoun, for instance, argues there is, perhaps, a significance in the use of words “agape” and “phileo” in John 21:15–17. He defines the bounds of phileo as being that of love for a friend (such as that of David and Jonathan), a fellow countryman, or a member of one’s own fraternity or school. He defines the bounds of agape as being that of devotion, adoration, and benevolence; it is deep and pure and unselfish.

These distinctions in definition are close to those drawn by C.S. Lewis when he explores the “four loves”. The two loves that are of relevance here are that of friendship (corresponding with Magoun’s definition of phileo) and charity (corresponding with Magoun’s agape). david blynov

People sometimes try to explain the distinction between the words by saying that agape is divine love, while phileō is human love. There is truth in that slogan, but it’s not the whole story. God the Father loves the Son with phileō-style love (John 5:20), and many passages command Christians to love one another with agape-style love. In fact, there is much overlap between the words, and they can often be interchangeable. ezra project

There are, however, some distinctions between the two:

AgapePhileo

Used very little in secular Greek, but becomes the predominant word in the New Testament.

Primarily a matter of choice rather than emotions.

One-way love that can flow even toward someone who does not deserve or return it.

Used in secular Greek as the love of friends, which they considered the highest kind of love.

Often an emotional response to someone or something that appeals to you.

Two-way love that instinctively flows toward someone who returns your love.

hope this helps !!!

Excellent study God's love is a number one topic. Made me think of this verse.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

In today's society we would call that man a hero. I don't think anyone plans to be a hero, it just comes from their internal makeup. From their upbringing, especially if they came from a Christian family and we're taught about Jesus. The Bible tells us that we love God because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

So He gives us that ability to love. And we can express that love right here toward each other. The description of love in 1 Corinthians 13 includes a list of what love is not. We read that love “is not rude” in verse 5. Love, then, has good manners.

The Greek phrase could literally be translated “does not act unbecomingly” or “does not act inappropriately.” Christian love does not seek to cause problems, and it does not belittle others. Christian love involves choosing appropriate actions and responses that help other people.

Rudeness is finding more and more acceptance in today’s culture. Public behavior and words that were unthinkable a generation ago are now commonplace. We live in what Could be called a “renaissance of rudeness.” The fact is that rudeness is rooted in selfishness. Manners are meant to reduce the friction of human interaction; discourtesy reveals a lack of consideration for others. The ill-mannered person is communicating that “it’s all about me.” Love, by contrast, cannot be selfish, for the simple reason that love is concerned for the other person’s well-being. Therefore, love is mannerly.

When Christians give testimony to what they believe and defend the faith, they are to do so “with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). In other words, we are to witness in a loving, courteous way. This is not to say that Christians should never speak negatively regarding the actions of others. The gospel message condemns sin and calls sinners to repentance and faith in Jesus (Acts 17:30). However, there is a right way and wrong way to do anything, and speaking against sin need not be abrasive. Christians are called to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), and, as we know, love is not rude.

A life of love is shown in our words and actions and will impact others to bring glory to the Lord.

What does it mean that love is not self-seeking (1 Corinthians 13:5)?

What does it mean that love is not easily angered (1 Corinthians 13:5)?

What does it mean that love keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:5)?

What does it mean that love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth (1 Corinthians 13:6)?

What does it mean that love is not proud (1 Corinthians 13:4)?

Excellent study God's love is a number one topic. Made me think of this verse.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

In today's society we would call that man a hero. I don't think anyone plans to be a hero, it just comes from their internal makeup. From their upbringing, especially if they came from a Christian family and we're taught about Jesus. The Bible tells us that we love God because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

So He gives us that ability to love. And we can express that love right here toward each other. The description of love in 1 Corinthians 13 includes a list of what love is not. We read that love “is not rude” in verse 5. Love, then, has good manners.

The Greek phrase could literally be translated “does not act unbecomingly” or “does not act inappropriately.” Christian love does not seek to cause problems, and it does not belittle others. Christian love involves choosing appropriate actions and responses that help other people.

Rudeness is finding more and more acceptance in today’s culture. Public behavior and words that were unthinkable a generation ago are now commonplace. We live in what Could be called a “renaissance of rudeness.” The fact is that rudeness is rooted in selfishness. Manners are meant to reduce the friction of human interaction; discourtesy reveals a lack of consideration for others. The ill-mannered person is communicating that “it’s all about me.” Love, by contrast, cannot be selfish, for the simple reason that love is concerned for the other person’s well-being. Therefore, love is mannerly.

When Christians give testimony to what they believe and defend the faith, they are to do so “with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). In other words, we are to witness in a loving, courteous way. This is not to say that Christians should never speak negatively regarding the actions of others. The gospel message condemns sin and calls sinners to repentance and faith in Jesus (Acts 17:30). However, there is a right way and wrong way to do anything, and speaking against sin need not be abrasive. Christians are called to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15), and, as we know, love is not rude.

A life of love is shown in our words and actions and will impact others to bring glory to the Lord.

What does it mean that love is not self-seeking (1 Corinthians 13:5)?

What does it mean that love is not easily angered (1 Corinthians 13:5)?

What does it mean that love keeps no record of wrongs (1 Corinthians 13:5)?

What does it mean that love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth (1 Corinthians 13:6)?

What does it mean that love is not proud (1 Corinthians 13:4)?
Its hard to argue against this post it goes right to the heart of the matter- LOVE.

Amen !

Back
Top Bottom