Is the Present Heaven a Physical Place?

Aeliana

Surely Jesus intended us to envision both Heaven and Hell as real places where there are real people who came from Earth. Every one of these teachings is directly or indirectly suggested in other passages—but none as graphically or memorably as this one. In the intermediate Heaven or Hell, we will await the time that Jesus foretold, “when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned”. John 5:28-29

Until that day comes, Scripture teaches that those who die will go to a real place, either the present Heaven or the present Hell, as conscious human beings with memory of their lives and relationships on Earth. Those in Hell will live in misery, hopelessness, and apparent isolation, while those in Heaven will live in comfort, joy, and rich relationship with God and others.

Surely Jesus intended us to envision both Heaven and Hell as real places where there are real people who came from Earth. Every one of these teachings is directly or indirectly suggested in other passages—but none as graphically or memorably as this one. In the intermediate Heaven or Hell, we will await the time that Jesus foretold, “when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned”. John 5:28-29
But you ask the question what does Heaven mean to us? I think we're all in wonderment as to what it all will mean. It's also clearly expressed that there will be a new heavens and new earth of which the righteous saints will have a part of. I think God hasn't spoken too much in detail of it all as it seems he knows we need to have our focus on certain other things in the now....advancing his Kingdom in the hearts of men.

Heaven is just as real a place with a physical dimension as the world we live in now. Jesus said He was preparing a place for His disciples in John 14 and in revelations we see the city the New Jerusalem coming down from , out of heaven and it’s a real physical city.

About Abraham's bosom?

The term “Abraham’s bosom” is found only once in the New Testament, in the story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31), in which Jesus was teaching about the reality of heaven and hell. “Abraham’s bosom” in this story is also translated “Abraham’s side” (NIV, ESV), “next to Abraham” (CEV), “with Abraham” (NLT), and “the arms of Abraham” (NCV). These various translations speak to the enigmatic nature of the Greek word kolpos.

All these translations are attempting to convey the sense that Lazarus went to a place of rest, contentment, and peace, almost as though Abraham (a highly revered person in Jewish history) was the protector or patron. In a sad contrast, the rich man finds himself in torment with no one to help, assist, or console him.

Contrary to some contemporary thought, the Bible does teach that both heaven and hell are real places. Each person who lives will spend eternity in one of these two places. These two destinies are portrayed in Jesus’ story. While the rich man had lived for the day and only focused on life here on earth, Lazarus endured many hardships while trusting in God. So, verses 22 and 23 are significant: “So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.”

Death can be thought of as separation. Physical death is the separation of our body from our soul/spirit, while spiritual death is the separation of our soul from God. Jesus taught that we ought not to fear physical death, but we should be most concerned about spiritual death. As we read in Luke 12:4-5, Jesus also said, "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!” Jesus’ use of the term “Abraham’s bosom” was a part of His teaching to focus the minds of His hearers on the fact that our choices to seek God or disregard Him here on earth literally affect where we spend eternity.

Enoch, Moses, and Elijah, together with many others, are now in heaven So I would imagine it's a physical place. Probably not physical like here on earth.

The problem is our limited perception.

So heaven can be a real place, without being constrained to the physical dimensions we understand.
Also the passage of time may not be the same. All times can coexist, which is why God can know who are the elect since all times coexist for Him without contradicting freewill to choose.

Modern quantum physics accepts that something can be in all places all possible futures can coexist. It crystallizes only on observation in our physical world. It is hard to explain quantum reality or the "through two doors at once experiments" without changing our notions of time and plcae. Modern physics accepts that there are many more dimensions than we can observe, as necessary for superstrings.

This dovetails with numerous accounts of veridical near death experiences. In which they state that the passage of time is not the same nor is physical location such a constraint.

So is it a "place" or a "state"? I am not sure we have the language to describe something beyond our understanding.

Until that day comes, Scripture teaches that those who die will go to a real place, either the present Heaven or the present Hell, as conscious human beings with memory of their lives and relationships on Earth. Those in Hell will live in misery, hopelessness, and apparent isolation, while those in Heaven will live in comfort, joy, and rich relationship with God and others.
Curious idea....

There are at least 2 people who are in heaven, physically.
Jesus and Elijah.
MAYBE, Enoch.

So... the physicality of heaven depends on how it works.

Our heavenly bodies are spiritual bodies, as Paul describes in 1 Corinthians 15.

He further stated that corruptible flesh cannot inherit eternal life and the incorruptible.
Based on Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, and John 20-21, it's pretty clear that Jesus has a spiritual body.

As to Enoch and Elijah... they could have easily been translated into a spiritual body.

Until the Harpadzo, I'd say that it's spiritual.

After the great white throne judgment, it'll be a new type of physical, we've not seen before... 1 Corinthians 15.

Back
Top Bottom