Examine Yourselves to See if You Are In the Faith

Richard

Paul wanted the Corinthians to take his third visit so seriously that he challenged them to examine and test themselves to see whether they were in the faith. Paul used the reflexive pronoun yourselves twice to emphasize the idea that they should start looking more at themselves than at him or others.

Examine and test and evaluate your own selves to see whether you are holding to your faith and showing the proper fruits of it. Test and prove yourselves. Do you not yourselves realize and know [thoroughly by an ever-increasing experience] that Jesus Christ is in you—unless you are [counterfeits] disapproved on trial and rejected? 2 Corinthians 13:5

To encourage them further toward self-examination, Paul asked if they did not realize that Christ Jesus was in them. Christ’s Spirit at work in the believer has certain effects of sanctification and faithfulness (Gal. 5:22–23; 2 Pet. 3:18). If the Corinthians’ claims to faith were true, they were united to Christ, and the Holy Spirit was making the truth of their claims evident in their lives. But if the life of any believer showed no signs of the Spirit’s activity, then the Spirit was not working in him and Christ was not indwelling him. Paul had already mentioned that the Corinthians were being tested. Their response to his instructions would prove whether their faith was genuine.1

When was the last time that we truly took a good look at ourselves? How did we feel about what we saw? When we ponder over our personality, what are we actually projecting to others? Most of us are very complex people when it comes to our thoughts, feeling and beliefs so it might be difficult to lock down what kind of personality that we have. As a man, are we faithful like Abraham one moment and then blown back and forth like doubting Thomas the next? As a female, are we submissive like Sarah when we are in public and then like domineering Jezebel in private? As a Christian, are we devoted and energetic for the truth on Christian meeting days and then loving the world like Demas the other days out of the week? As a Christian, have we entirely taken off the old person with its practices and clothed ourselves with the new person? – Colossians 3:9-10; Ephesians 4:20-24.

Some women are known to spend much time every morning, ‘putting on their face,’ as it is commonly expressed. So much so, it has been often joked about, and men know not to interfere until the project is over. However, truth be told, men are very much concerned with how they look when going out into public. Thus, all of us are conscious of whether our hair is out of place, if we have a pimple or a cold sore, or if there is something about us that is unkempt, ruffled, scruffy, or messy. We want to look our best. What we may have not considered is, our personality, is always showing as well. The deeper question though is “are we putting on our personality to cover over before we go out in public while our real personality is on display in private?” Is what the public sees, who we really are? Does our real personality bring honor to God?

A man walking the roads of the countryside in a small European country comes to a fork in the road. He is uncertain as to which way he should go. Therefore, he asks several who are passing by for directions, but some told him to take the left fork, and others said to make the right. After receiving contradictory information, he simply did not know what to do, how was he to go on, without knowing for certain which path led to the destination. He was unable to move on until he knew what the right path was. Having doubts about our faith, our walk with God, his Word can influence us similarly. It can actually cause severe emotional turmoil as we go about our Christian life.

There was a similar situation on the first-century Corinthian congregation. Some known as “super-apostles” were actually taking the apostle Paul to task, as to Paul’s walk with God, saying, “His letters are weighty and strong, but his bodily presence is weak, and his speech of no account.” (2 Cor. 10:7-12; 11:5-6, ESV) Certainly, we can see how a Christian in that congregation could wonder if they were truly walking with God when the apostle Paul himself was being call into question.

Paul founded the Corinthian congregation in about 50 C.E.3 on his second missionary journey. “When Silas and Timothy arrived from Macedonia, Paul was occupied with the word, testifying to the Jews that the Christ was Jesus. And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, ‘Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, for I am with you, and no one will attack you to harm you, for I have many in this city who are my people.’ And he stayed a year and six months, teaching the word of God among them.” (Acts 18:5-11, ESV) The apostle Paul was deeply interested in the spiritual wellbeing of the brothers and sisters in Corinth. Moreover, the Corinthian Christians were interested in their spiritual welfare as well, so they wrote Paul for his counsel on certain matters. (1 Cor. 7:1-40) Therefore, Paul, under inspiration offered them inspired counsel in what would be his second letter to them.

“Keep testing yourselves to see if you are in the faith. Keep examining yourselves! Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you, unless indeed you fail to meet the test?” (2 Cor. 13:5) If these brothers in the days of having Paul found their congregation, who spent sixteen months under the guidance of the greatest, inspired Christian, needed to self-examine themselves, how much more should we need to do so, as we are 2,000-years removed. If these brothers followed this advice to examine themselves, it would have offered them direction on how to walk with God and let them know if they were on the right path.

Remember, Jesus warned, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” (Matt 7:21, ESV) In other words, not every Christian was going to enter into the kingdom, even though they felt that they were walking with God. Jesus spoke of their mindset in the next verse, “On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’” (Matt. 7:22, ESV) Yes, these ones, who felt that they were walking with God, on that day they were supposing that they were truly Christian, were in for a rude awakening. What is Jesus going to say to these ones, “And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’” (Matt. 7:23) What were and are these ones lacking?

Jesus said they were not doing the will of the Father, even though they believed they were. Notice that in 98 C.E., the apostle John, the last surviving apostle, in one of his letters offered that same warning too. He wrote, “The world is passing away, and its lusts; but the one who does the will of God remains forever.” (1 John 2:17) Thus, we can see the wisdom of the apostle Paul’s counsel to ‘Keep testing ourselves to see if you are in the faith. Keep examining ourselves!’ Thus, the next question is, what do we need to do to follow this advice? How does one test whether or not they are in the faith? In addition, what does it mean to ‘keep examining ourselves after we have tested ourselves?

Edward D. Andrews, The Battle for the Christian Mind: Be Transformed by the Renewal of Your Mind

Subject Heading:- Examine Yourselves to See if You Are In the Faith

Hello there, @Richard, :)

There is danger attached to self examination, in that it can lead to too great an introspection. There are two Psalms by Asaph, which are illustrative of this. In both he is encouraged to look up, Not inward or outward but upward. In my own experience I have found this to be a very necessary corrective: to keep my eyes on what God has accomplished in Christ Jesus . The Psalms referred to always elude me, and are doing so again, but I will search for them, and add them if I can. (Psa. 73 & 77)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
'Since ye seek a proof of Christ speaking in me,
which to you-ward is not weak,
but is mighty in you

For though He was crucified through weakness,
yet He liveth by the power of God.
For we also are weak in Him,
but we shall live with Him
by the power of God toward you.
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith;
prove your own selves.
Know ye not your own selves,
how that Jesus Christ is in you
except ye be reprobates?

(2Cor. 13:3-5)

Hello again, Richard,

Looking at the verse which is the basis upon which your study rests, quoted in reply #3, I believe it is a response to critical examination having been made by the Corinthians of Paul Himself, in which he tells them to rather examine their own selves. Which reminds me of Luke 6:41-42:-

'And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye,
but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Either how canst thou say to thy brother,
Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye,
when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye,
and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.'

I think it is intended that his critics should by so doing 'Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you,' acknowledge the power that was at work within them in the person of the risen Christ and act accordingly.

Forgive my further interruption.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Subject Heading:- Examine Yourselves to See if You Are In the Faith

Hello there, @Richard, :)

There is danger attached to self examination, in that it can lead to too great an introspection. There are two Psalms by Asaph, which are illustrative of this. In both he is encouraged to look up, Not inward or outward but upward. In my own experience I have found this to be a very necessary corrective: to keep my eyes on what God has accomplished in Christ Jesus . The Psalms referred to always elude me, and are doing so again, but I will search for them, and add them if I can. (Psa. 73 & 77)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Thank you for the encouragement as I'm just starting this study. I came up with the idea from the desire to be more like Jesus. To be transformed into his image. I've been such a angry unforgiving person for most of my life that I need the Holy Spirit to guide me and direct me as it's so easy to fall back into my old behavior. So this is going to be a deep dive for me and I do appreciate your advice and we'll definitely follow it.

In Him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:3

So the treasure I'm looking for is The Treasure of managing my emotions

As we all know our emotions can be positive or negative.

"They can make us feel wonderful or awful. They are a central part of being human, and that is fine. Unfortunately, most people do what they feel like doing, say what they feel like saying, buy what they feel like buying, and eat what they feel like eating. And that is not fine, because feelings are not wisdom."

Quiet Time: A Moment With God​

Feelings are fickle; they change frequently and without notification. Since feelings are unreliable, we must not direct our lives according to how we feel. You can be aware of your feelings and acknowledge their legitimacy without necessarily acting on them. God has given us wisdom, and we should walk in it, not our emotions.

Healthy emotions are very important. They help us recognize how we truly feel and what we value. Good emotional health is vital for a good life. But a good life also means being able to manage our emotions and not be managed by them. Negative emotions such as anger, unforgiveness, worry, anxiety, fear, resentment, and bitterness cause many physical illnesses by raising our stress levels.

It seems to me that most people in our society today are mad, and the ones who aren’t are sad. Thank God we no longer have to be like “most people.” God doesn’t want anyone to be a slave to their feelings. To manage your emotions and your life, you need to ask God for His wisdom instead of trusting your feelings.

I believe God wants us to be happy, joyous and free and to love one another.

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Romans 14:7

The more stable our emotions are, the healthier we will be, and we all want to enjoy good health. I strongly encourage everyone to trust God to help you learn to manage your emotions so they don’t manage you.

More to come.

In Him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. Colossians 2:3

So the treasure I'm looking for is The Treasure of managing my emotions

Feelings are fickle; they change frequently and without notification. Since feelings are unreliable, we must not direct our lives according to how we feel. You can be aware of your feelings and acknowledge their legitimacy without necessarily acting on them. God has given us wisdom, and we should walk in it, not our emotions.

Healthy emotions are very important. They help us recognize how we truly feel and what we value. Good emotional health is vital for a good life. But a good life also means being able to manage our emotions and not be managed by them. Negative emotions such as anger, unforgiveness, worry, anxiety, fear, resentment, and bitterness cause many physical illnesses by raising our stress levels.

It seems to me that most people in our society today are mad, and the ones who aren’t are sad. Thank God we no longer have to be like “most people.” God doesn’t want anyone to be a slave to their feelings. To manage your emotions and your life, you need to ask God for His wisdom instead of trusting your feelings.

I believe God wants us to be happy, joyous and free and to love one another.

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. Romans 14:7

The more stable our emotions are, the healthier we will be, and we all want to enjoy good health. I strongly encourage everyone to trust God to help you learn to manage your emotions so they don’t manage you.

More to come.
Repentance and application of the blood of Jesus by faith is the way to close doors that have been opened to Satan such as the doors of strife, anger, and unforgiveness. We must be quick to forgive; offense and strife are not emotional luxuries we can afford.

8 Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour. 1 Peter 5:8.

When we become emotional we're definitely unbalanced.

Looking forward to reading more from your study.

We are All Born With a Sinful Nature

Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden had free will but chose to abuse it, to rebel against their Creator. God had created them perfect; they lacked nothing. They need not fear any illnesses, hunger, death, any form of difficulty that plagues man today. The only requirement that they had was to live out their freedom under the sovereignty of God, i.e., the righteous rule of God, and the laws that the Creator would introduce, including the laws of nature.

One such natural law was that they would grow hungry if they did not eat, thus the need to obey the law to eat. The same would hold true for water as well, and the need to drink. Then, there was a need for sleep. Outside of these natural laws, God gave them work to accomplish within Eden, yet we will note in the texts below, there were not innumerable details, rules, and regulations. They had the freedom to fulfill the work that was assigned, as long as it was fulfilled.

Genesis 1:28 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
28 And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Genesis 2:15 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
15 And Jehovah God took the man and set him in the garden of Eden to cultivate it and to keep it.
However, one must recognize that the freedom given to a child to make decisions on their own means they are given responsibilities and are trusted to carry out those responsibilities. Moreover, it does not mean that the act of decision making alone, for the sake of making them, were going to end with good results. A child must learn and grow from being taught by their father and mother, and as they demonstrate that, they are ready for more freedom and responsibility; then, they will receive it. God did not create Adam and Eve so that there was no need for growth, no need to learn. He gave both man and woman intelligence so that they could grow in knowledge and understanding, wisely making application to what they were learning.

Of both Adam and Eve God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.” This means that the inner person within the first human pair would have possessed the same qualities in their decision-making skills as their Creator. If their love and respect for God and all he had done grew, it would have only been natural that they would have wanted to please him.

There was one law that the first couples was given, which would allow them to evidence their love and appreciation, as well as grow from their experience of obeying this law. “And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, ‘From every tree of the garden you may freely eat, but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die.’” (Gen. 2:16, 17) They had an entire Garden of trees to eat from, as “God caused to grow every tree that was pleasing to the sight and good for food.” (Gen. 2:9) What did this mean? It meant that they lacked nothing regardless of this one restricted tree. It also meant that to obey or not obey was within their free will, and they were no lacking of anything that would have contributed to their disobeying. Nevertheless, Adam, who was to be the father of humankind, had to learn that while he was given the earth as his domain, it still belonged to God as the rightful Ruler. Psalm 24:1, 10.

As you can see, humankind’s continued existence in paradise, with perfection, was dependent upon obedience, his continued acceptance of God as his sovereign.

Genesis 3:1-6 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” 2 And the woman said to the serpent, “From the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat, 3 but from the tree that is in the midst of the garden, God said, ‘You shall not eat from it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die’.” 4 And the serpent said to the woman, “You shall not surely die. 5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” knowing good and evil.
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desirable to make one wise, and she took of its fruit and ate, then she also gave some to her husband when with her, and he ate.

We are all mentally bent toward evil (Gen. 6:5; 8:21), with a treacherous heart that is desperately sick. (Jer. 17:9)

Job 14:1 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
14 “Man who is born of a woman
is few of days and full of trouble.

Romans 5:12 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
12 Therefore, [Gen. 3:1-6] just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned,

John 8:44 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. That one was a manslayer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Revelation 12:9 Updated American Standard Version (UASV)
9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole inhabited earth; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Edward D. Andrews

Born Into Slavery

Did you know that we are all born slaves? The facts are quite staggering to the first-time hearer; all humans were/are slaves and born of slaves. Each of us must face the facts, by looking honestly at the truthful evidence before us, which will help us to appreciate many things about man that have only been a mystery before now. More importantly, it will help each of us to understand that while we may be born into slavery, a provision has paid that will release us from this bondage.

When the first man Adam willfully chose to disobey God’s law, he gave up possession of perfect control of himself, gave into his selfish desire to continue with his wife, and placed her above his Creator, Jehovah God. His giving into this sinful desire made it and the result thereof, sin, his taskmaster, leading him as a slave. (Rom 6:16; James 1:14-15) In essence, he chose to place himself under sin. Sadly, all of humankind was yet to be born; therefore, Adam sold his future descendants under sin.

It is for this reason that the Apostle Paul could write: “For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin.” (Rom 7:14) It is for this alone that humans were without a means of returning to perfection, unable to keep God’s righteous Law given through Moses. The Apostle Paul put it this way: “The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me.” (Rom 7:10) What the Mosaic Law had accomplished was to highlight their inability to keep this law perfectly, labeling them as slaves to sin (missing the mark of perfection), and deserving death. Exactly, what is sin though? Sin is “anything not in harmony with, hence contrary to, God’s personality, standards, ways, and will; anything marring one’s relationship with God. It may be in word (Job 2:10; Ps 39:1), in deed (doing wrong acts [Le 20:20; 2Co 12:21] or failing to do what should be done [Nu 9:13; Jas 4:17]), or in mind or heart attitude (Pr 21:4; compare also Ro 3:9-18; 2Pe 2:12-15).”

Romans 5:12-17
12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned, 13 or until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam's transgression, who is a type of the one who is to come.
15 But the free gift is not like the trespass.7 For if by the trespass of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. 16 And it is not the same with the free gift as with the way things worked through the one man who sinned. For the judgment after one trespass was condemnation, but the gift after many trespasses was justification.8 17 For if by the trespass of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ.

The lost opportunity for eternal life on a paradise earth, humankind walking with God in peace, took place when the first man, Adam, in an act of disobedience and rebellion, sinned against God. However, all was not lost, because there was one perfect man, who could recover this walking with God in peace, and the hope of eternal life, Christ Jesus, the second Adam, regaining through obedience, what Adam had lost through disobedience.
• Death by One Man (5:12)
• From Adam to Moses (5:13-14)
• Adam’s Sin Contrasted with the Gift of Christ (5:15)
• Adam’s Condemnation Contrasted with the Righteousness of Christ (5:16)
• The Reign of Death Contrasted With the Reign of Life (5:17)

As with the ripple effect of a rock thrown into a pond, it took one man to create the ripple effect of all of humankind being placed into slavery, sold, sinful, ending with death. Fortunately, two of God’s cardinal attributes is wisdom and power, using these; he was able to make the needed arrangements of offering another Adam, Jesus Christ, as a means of repurchasing humankind. It is here in verses 12–18 that we see His third main attribute of justice being used in bringing into balance one man against another man in this repurchasing process, maintaining just all along the way.

The Apostle Paul writes:
Romans 5:13-14
13 or until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the likeness of Adam's transgression, who is a type of the one who is to come.

In other words, Adam was given a law in the Garden of Eden, that is:
Genesis 2:16-17
16 And Jehovah God commanded the man, saying, “From every tree of the garden you may freely eat, 17 but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die.”

This one act of disobedience to his God was a transgression, a sinning by “overstepping,” ‘sidestepping,’ “bypassing,” or ‘passing beyond’ (Heb., ‛avar) God’s covenant or specific orders.9 (See Num. 14:41; Deut. 17:2, 3; Josh 7:11, 15; 1 Sam 15:24; Isa 24:5; Jer. 34:18) Therefore, Adam was guilty of sin. It is by means of inheritance that the descendants of Adam came into sin. From the time of the birth of Adam’s firstborn son up unto the giving of the Mosaic Law, there was no law code; therefore, man was unable to transgress in the way of Adam.

From Genesis up unto the baptism of Christ Jesus, there was a mystery of who the prophesied seed would be. (Gen 3:15) It was not until the Apostle Paul that Jesus was truly disclosed as this 1,500-year-old mystery. We find that Jesus is the second Adam, who bore some resemblance to the first, in that both were perfect humans. The first Adam committed a trespass when he very well could have chosen not to, which lead to sickness, old age, and death. On the other hand, the second Adam [Jesus] was perfectly obedient under much more serious trials, which would lead to any who trust in him receiving an unearned righteous standing for an imperfect person, and the hope of eternal life, two completely different courses.

Thus, the Apostle Paul continues:
Romans 5:15
15 But the free gift is not like the trespass.10 For if by the trespass of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.

As was already stated, the first Adam committed his one “trespass” in the Garden of Eden, causing the death sentence of all his descendants up unto the first century C.E. It is here that man receives the unearned, the undeserved gift of “that one man Jesus Christ.” By means of this “one man,” God’s righteous requirement of justice is met, giving many an opportunity once again to walk with Him in an approved condition. This undeserved gift was so effective that even Enoch and Noah could be spoken of as though they were walking with God based on their faith in this coming one. Here is the similarity, for both have an impact on the many. Continuing, the Apostle Paul writes:

Romans 5:16
16 And it is not the same with the free gift as with the way things worked through the one man who sinned. For the judgment after one trespass was condemnation, but the gift after many trespasses was justification.

In other words, the judgment of condemnation by God came from Adam’s one trespass. This one trespass brought Adam and all who were yet to be born under the condemnation of death. In Galatians 3:19, the Apostle Paul informs us that the law “was added because of transgressions until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made.” In other words, the Mosaic Law was added to highlight the sinful nature of man, and the need for a greater sacrifice. When God gave the Law to Moses, there were “many trespasses” on the part of the Israelites, establishing that humankind is sinful and in need of something more than animal sacrifices. The “free gift” allowed God’s justice to be met, offering all who has an active faith12 [i.e., complete trust] in that gift, to be declared righted, although imperfect. Paul next helps his readers to see the balance of the one man over against the other man:

Romans 5:17
17 For if by the trespass of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ.

The “trespass of the one man” is a sin of encroaching on his Creator’s righteous standards of right and wrong, to decide for him what is right and wrong, rejecting the sovereignty of the one who created him. The penalty of death was made clear to this “one man.” The trespass of Adam in the Garden of Eden brought on the reign of death to not only himself, but also all who would come out of his loins. On the opposite end of the scale is the unearned underserved gift by God, the free gift of righteousness, pulling any who accepted this free gift out of the quagmire of sin and death! This “free gift of righteousness” enables all who accept it to “reign in life.” This hope that is set before all is a result of the sacrifice of the “one man Jesus Christ.”

Edward D. Andrews

Back
Top Bottom